Please add to the FAQ

Old Feb 20th 2001, 11:29 am
Linda

On the FAQ, where it lists items to take to the AOS interview, could the person who
maintains it please add that INS will probably want bank statements and cancelled checks
covering the whole course of your marriage (at the very least, the first and last
statements and cancelled checks)? Also, please stress that utility and phone bills
verifying continuous utility service at your home or apartment (again at least first and
last) will probably be needed. We took the bank contracts from opening the checking and
savings accounts as well as current utility and phone bills and they were not sufficient.
They also needed to physically see and inspect the checkbook. We got caught up and delayed
on this, thinking "evidence" meant just proof that you had the joint account and utilities
and I'd not like to see other couples get delayed for the same reasons. Thanks Linda

Old Feb 20th 2001, 12:08 pm
Andy Platt

For most people what you took would be fine. We even had a discussion the other week about
how many people had their cancelled checks returned to them anyway. It sounds like you had
a very picky office. What office and what other evidence did you give them?

Andy.

--
I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination.

> On the FAQ, where it lists items to take to the AOS interview, could the person who
> maintains it please add that INS will probably want bank statements and cancelled checks
> covering the whole course of your marriage (at the very least, the first and last
> statements and cancelled checks)? Also, please stress that utility and phone bills
> verifying continuous utility service at your home or apartment (again at least first and
> last) will probably be needed. We took the bank contracts from opening the checking and
> savings accounts as well as current utility and phone bills and they were not
> sufficient. They also needed to physically see and inspect the checkbook. We got caught
> up and delayed on this, thinking "evidence" meant just proof that you had the joint
> account and utilities and I'd not like to see other couples get delayed for the same
> reasons. Thanks Linda

Old Feb 20th 2001, 1:25 pm
Rita

Wow this is the very first time I heard of an INS office requiring to see the actual
checkbook itself.

One statement was sufficient for the NYC INS and we did not have any utilities whatsoever.
We passed without a problem.

Rita

----------
This message was composed at http://www.editnews.com

Old Feb 20th 2001, 1:47 pm
Linda

I'd written before about this... we took 2 years of joint leases, two years of joint tax
returns, at least a dozen pictures of the wedding and of us with family and social,
recreational and work events (officer was disgruntled there weren't more pictures), mail
with both names on it, including wedding and anniversary or holiday cards (he didn't even
glance at them), originals of the birth certificates (with translation) and marriage
certificate with raised seal, the carbons of the bank contracts when the joint savings and
checking were set up, a month of utility bills, a new updated affidavit of support that
they'd asked for on the checklist, joint health insurance. He asked to see my husband's
(canadian) passport and was grumpy about us not having it... said "get it" and asked if
there would be any problem with that. I believe he had an antagonistic problem with my
disability and the age difference... (I'm the USC), none the less, I asked how long until
we would know something once we sent the bank statements etc, and he said it would be a
few weeks because he had to be out for training. It's been almost 11 months with no word
except an RFE in January asking only for new fingerprints since the old one's had expired.
This is in Chicago. Linda

Andy Platt wrote:
>
> For most people what you took would be fine. We even had a discussion the other week
> about how many people had their cancelled checks returned to them anyway. It sounds like
> you had a very picky office. What office and what other evidence did you give them?
>
> Andy.
>
> --
> I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination.

> > On the FAQ, where it lists items to take to the AOS interview, could the person who
> > maintains it please add that INS will probably want bank statements and cancelled
> > checks covering the whole course of your marriage (at the very least, the first and
> > last statements and cancelled checks)? Also, please stress that utility and phone
> > bills verifying continuous utility service at your home or apartment (again at least
> > first and last) will probably be needed. We took the bank contracts from opening the
> > checking and savings accounts as well as current utility and phone bills and they were
> > not sufficient. They also needed to physically see and inspect the checkbook. We got
> > caught up and delayed on this, thinking "evidence" meant just proof that you had the
> > joint account and utilities and I'd not like to see other couples get delayed for the
> > same reasons. Thanks Linda