Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

A plea for help - left US without greencard

A plea for help - left US without greencard

Old Dec 4th 2009, 12:49 pm
Just Joined

kate2.0 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default A plea for help - left US without greencard

Hi,

I've just been directed here by one of my friends - I really wish I'd known about this board previously!

My sorry tale is that I've come back to the UK for a brief break - this is my first trip back since getting my green card in June. Unfortunately, and believe me I feel really stupid for doing this, I've left my green card in the US. The card is in a safe in a pretty secure house; I've not left any keys behind as I'm new to the area and haven't really made any good friends in the vicinity.

Opinions from my fairly limited expat circle of friends range from - getting a entry permit via the London embassy (Edinburgh consulate?) to 'do nothing' as the Immigration Visa in my passport can 'serve as a temporary I-551 for one year'.

I'd really appreciate any guidance anyone can give me on this issue - the US consulate's embassy website doesn't cover this issue. My biggest concern is that my firms got another round of lay-offs coming soon and I'm really stressing about being marooned in the UK.

Please help!

Kate
Old Dec 4th 2009, 1:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A plea for help - left US without greencard

Depends how much time you have.

You have people at work that could help? They would be within driving distance of where you live, presumably (since you do the commute).

Find the quickest way possible to mail your keys to someone at your office that you know and who's willing to drive to your house and mail the greencard and your keys back to you in the UK.

But at a minimum, that will all take about a week even with the quickest shipping methods known to man.

Don't know about the temp stamp. That IS a greencard, but not sure on the rules if you got the physical card in the mean time.
Old Dec 4th 2009, 1:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kate2.0
'do nothing' as the Immigration Visa in my passport can 'serve as a temporary I-551 for one year'.
If the stamp on your converted visa > green card in your passport will still be less than one year old, you're golden. AFAIK that stamp isn't invalidated by the issue of the actual card. I doubt the info the border control agent has information as to whether the actual card has been issued or not. In any case, it's feasible that the card never made it in the mail to the OP, in which case she'd be using the exact method of entry that's proposed anyway.

The OP says she got her green card in June, so I'm presuming that entry/activation of IR-1/CR-1 visa was in April or May 2009, in which case the stamped visa is still a valid proof of LPR status.

Last edited by BritishGuy36; Dec 4th 2009 at 1:59 pm.
Old Dec 4th 2009, 1:57 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hobbes79
Don't know about the temp stamp. That IS a greencard, but not sure on the rules if you got the physical card in the mean time.
As you say, the passport stamp *IS* a green card. It is valid as a travel document up to the expiry date of the stamp whether she has a physical GC or not.

Ian
Old Dec 4th 2009, 2:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
As you say, the passport stamp *IS* a green card. It is valid as a travel document up to the expiry date of the stamp whether she has a physical GC or not.

Ian
Cool. Looks like she's good to go
Old Dec 4th 2009, 2:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
The tri-state BE-ers concur! It must be right!
Old Dec 4th 2009, 6:47 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kate2.0
the Immigration Visa in my passport can 'serve as a temporary I-551 for one year'.
DO you still have an Immigrant Visa in your passport that is within one year of being stamped 'admitted'?
It IS the equivalent of a Green Card for that first year. Check the dates.
Old Dec 5th 2009, 2:14 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by hobbes79
But at a minimum, that will all take about a week even with the quickest shipping methods known to man.
Sounds like the OP is OK, which is great news.

Has she not been a much faster, though much more expensive, route would have been to have a friend or relative from the UK fly to NYC on the VWP, with her keys, pick up the GC and fly back. Could get it all done in 24 hours, with the right choice of flights.