Plans for the 4th

Old Jun 29th 2007, 7:17 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice
Default Plans for the 4th

I wanted to reply.

We usually have a huge picnic with about 30 friends at the local country club - they open up the golf course for it. Then watch a fireworks display while eating watermelon. Have done it for about 8 years now, bunches of fun as we get to catch up with folk we haven't seen for a while
Old Jun 29th 2007, 7:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Adnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Plans for the 4th

Originally Posted by TouristTrap
I wanted to reply.

We usually have a huge picnic with about 30 friends at the local country club - they open up the golf course for it. Then watch a fireworks display while eating watermelon. Have done it for about 8 years now, bunches of fun as we get to catch up with folk we haven't seen for a while
Does anyone have to ask what I'll be doing?
Old Jun 29th 2007, 7:28 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

That does sound like fun! My somwhat wealthy Uncle used to have abig deal every year at his house. He would invite the whole family (He is one of 8 boys and 9 girls, my Father being another of the boys) which by now is over 100 people and have a big catered BBQ. He would hire a band and usually have some sort of a "surprise". One year he flew in a Polyneisian style dance troupe from California, another year he had parachutists land in his yard! The adults all got to catch up and theh kids got to swim in the pool all day. The last thing is a professional fireworks display. The whole neighborhood gets to enjoy this!

With that many people in the family we don't get many opportunities to get everybody together. Unfortunately, he's not not having it this year. He said he was out of ideas. I understand though, it was a tremendous expense and hassle.
Old Jun 29th 2007, 7:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

tony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond repute

Probably having a celebratory drink for my son's divorce if all goes well. His hearing is on the 4th. Other than that just enjoying the day.
Old Jun 29th 2007, 7:52 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

the missus is working...and i've the day off, don't have any plans but to relax, as we'd have just gone alpha and crunch will be off, well for a couple days till E3 and stuff....that and to broke to go anywhere.
Old Jun 29th 2007, 8:02 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

This is our first July 4th at home. Last year we were at Disneyworld and I expected them to make a big thing of it, but they didn't.

So, I don't know what we will do. There are some fireworks nearby but I suspect that if it's a nice day we may just chill out as OH gets hardly any time off.

I'm never quite sure what to do on US holidays as they don't really mean anything to us and so it's hard to summon up that sense of anticipation.
It makes me feel quite left out.

I would quite like to hang loads of the red, white and blue swag stuff off our balcony and porch but I'm not sure if it will look as though I am taking the p**s. We have a retired Naval Commander next door but one who is very flag sensitive.

I keep seeing signs for Flag retirement ceremonies...what are they?
Old Jun 29th 2007, 8:10 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Originally Posted by jumping doris
This is our first July 4th at home. Last year we were at Disneyworld and I expected them to make a big thing of it, but they didn't.

So, I don't know what we will do. There are some fireworks nearby but I suspect that if it's a nice day we may just chill out as OH gets hardly any time off.

I'm never quite sure what to do on US holidays as they don't really mean anything to us and so it's hard to summon up that sense of anticipation.
It makes me feel quite left out.

I would quite like to hang loads of the red, white and blue swag stuff off our balcony and porch but I'm not sure if it will look as though I am taking the p**s. We have a retired Naval Commander next door but one who is very flag sensitive.

I keep seeing signs for Flag retirement ceremonies...what are they?
Bugger him. Just decorate if you want to. Most cities have huge fireworks displays somewhere around that you can catch. No expats around your area you can invite for a BBQ?

I think it takes time to 'get' the holidays but they're a bunch of fun eventually.
Old Jun 29th 2007, 8:12 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Bob
the missus is working...and i've the day off, don't have any plans but to relax, as we'd have just gone alpha and crunch will be off, well for a couple days till E3 and stuff....that and to broke to go anywhere.
Aw sorry to hear that Bobster. It sucks to be young and studying still, but worth it in the end. (can't believe I understood all that for a change)

Hug to you and your wonderful wife
Old Jun 29th 2007, 8:58 pm
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

Nothing as far as I know. Just another day on the calendar.
Old Jun 29th 2007, 9:01 pm
Gone but not forgotten. RIP

TRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TouristTrap
I wanted to reply.

As one of two token furriners in the office (the other is Canadian) I am working the day, but afterwards:

Dig a hole in a neighbor's back yard, roast a whole pig, invite lots of people around, drink beer, climb on the roof of a 2-storey treehouse whilst drunk, cut gaps in the foliage in 2 directions and watch fireworks on 2 bridges at the same time.

Never get that in the UK.

Last edited by TRPardoe; Jun 29th 2007 at 9:03 pm.
Old Jun 29th 2007, 9:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

mandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond repute

We're not doing much during the day. In the evening we're going with a group of friends for a picnic at the local university and watching the huge firework display the township puts on every year. We always have a good time and the firework display is better than the one we saw on 4th July one year at Disney.
Old Jun 29th 2007, 9:06 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jumping doris
...I keep seeing signs for Flag retirement ceremonies...what are they?
It's what they do if a flag becomes to old to be displayed.

There's a whole protocol of what you are allowed or not allowed to do with it...
Old Jun 29th 2007, 9:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TRPardoe

Dig a hole in a neighbor's back yard, roast a whole pig,

pretty sure I wouldn't want to.
Old Jun 29th 2007, 9:54 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by TRPardoe
As one of two token furriners in the office (the other is Canadian) I am working the day, but afterwards:

Dig a hole in a neighbor's back yard, roast a whole pig, invite lots of people around, drink beer, climb on the roof of a 2-storey treehouse whilst drunk, cut gaps in the foliage in 2 directions and watch fireworks on 2 bridges at the same time.

You spent too much time in Africa. The sun did something to your head. Whole roast pig sounds great. Last time I had it was for my engagement party decades ago
Old Jun 29th 2007, 9:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Dont forget July 1st - Canada Day! We're 140 years old!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.