Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Plan to replace Green Cards, that have no expiration date

Plan to replace Green Cards, that have no expiration date

Old Aug 23rd 2007, 5:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute
Default Plan to replace Green Cards, that have no expiration date

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/nat...,5662884.story

Reg Frank R.
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 5:43 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Plan to replace Green Cards, that have no expiration date

And here, from uscis.gov

http://www.uscis.gov/files/pressrele...eplacement.pdf

there is a related Q&A pdf in that article.
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 5:51 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Another link in today's forum: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=476079
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 10:49 pm
a2rjh

On Aug 23, 12:21 pm, frrussre <[email protected]>
wrote:
> http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/nationworld/sfl-
> flacards0823nbaug23,0,5662884.story
>
> Reg Frank R.
>
> --
> Posted viahttp://britishexpats.com

hope they implement and enforce, not just plan. should cull lots of
those "residents" that return once a year.

Old Nov 22nd 2007, 5:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Does anyone have any updates on this proposed plan? One article I read suggested the 120 day period would run from October 22nd, 2007 though Feb 19, 2008 - and now we are in late November. But I have not seen any confirmation that this plan was implemented.

I'm considering applying for Citizenship, and would rather not bother having to renew my 24 year old GC, but if I can't re-enter after Feb 19 2008, that would be a problem for me!

Thanks!
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 1:13 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
I have not seen any confirmation that this plan was implemented.
Your "sight" does not deceive you.

Ian
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 3:34 pm
Forum Regular

jenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to all

Does anyone have any updates on this proposed plan? One article I read suggested the 120 day period would run from October 22nd, 2007 though Feb 19, 2008 - and now we are in late November. But I have not seen any confirmation that this plan was implemented.

I'm considering applying for Citizenship, and would rather not bother having to renew my 24 year old GC, but if I can't re-enter after Feb 19 2008, that would be a problem for me!

Thanks!
You are in exactly the same position as me - I have a "non expiring" green card, also 24 years old. Now no one has said a dickey bird to me about it, until last time I rentered the US (August 16th) when the immigration chap told me I would "have" to replace this card and sent me to secondary screening. Howver, when I got there, there was a lot of "why the hell are they sending thse people to us" type of talk. They kerfuffled around for a bit and found the appropriate form to apply for a replacement GC and sent me on my way, whereupon I found that no one had stamped my passport and I had to go back and be cleared again. Sigh.

Anyway the upshot of all that is that that I found the press release listed above, but haven't found any other information. I think I'm going to go the citizenship route - I resent paying the money for a 10 year card.
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 4:33 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jenniferpa
I have a "non expiring" green card, also 24 years old.
I think I'm going to go the citizenship route
Don't make any rush decisions, now!
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 4:40 pm
Forum Regular

jenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to all

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Don't make any rush decisions, now!
Old Aug 5th 2008, 6:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jenniferpa
You are in exactly the same position as me - I have a "non expiring" green card, also 24 years old. Now no one has said a dickey bird to me about it, until last time I rentered the US (August 16th) when the immigration chap told me I would "have" to replace this card and sent me to secondary screening. Howver, when I got there, there was a lot of "why the hell are they sending thse people to us" type of talk. They kerfuffled around for a bit and found the appropriate form to apply for a replacement GC and sent me on my way, whereupon I found that no one had stamped my passport and I had to go back and be cleared again. Sigh.

Anyway the upshot of all that is that that I found the press release listed above, but haven't found any other information. I think I'm going to go the citizenship route - I resent paying the money for a 10 year card.
Any updates on this?

I am out of the country at the moment, flying back tomorrow. I just tried to check in online with United, and the check-in process asks for your green card number. It would not accept my (24 year old) GC 'A' number, saying I had to check-in in person with United at the airport. I presume the new cards have different numbers! I'm applying for citizenship myself so have not bothered to renew my GC. Guess I'd better get there early tomorrow
Old Aug 5th 2008, 8:37 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Any updates on this?

I am out of the country at the moment, flying back tomorrow. I just tried to check in online with United, and the check-in process asks for your green card number. It would not accept my (24 year old) GC 'A' number, saying I had to check-in in person with United at the airport. I presume the new cards have different numbers! I'm applying for citizenship myself so have not bothered to renew my GC. Guess I'd better get there early tomorrow
Hi:

It is still a proposal and has yet to be implemented. And the new cards have the SAME "A" number.
Old Aug 5th 2008, 1:32 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Somewhere on the net there is a memo all about this ...
I remember it stated they where working on the plan
It was dated 2001
Old Aug 5th 2008, 2:05 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
I remember it stated they where working on the plan
It was dated 2001
Best not to rush these things or you might make a total cock up.
Old Aug 5th 2008, 2:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: Plan to replace Green Cards, that have no expiration date

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Best not to rush these things or you might make a total cock up.
It's a bit like the "FBI namecheck backlog elimination plan" All talk and no action.
Old Aug 10th 2008, 6:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Any updates on this?

So United's website would not accept my GC number, and thus, I could not do an advance check in. But once at the airport, I sailed through immigration so I have no idea why the number was not accepted. The guy did not say a word - just stamped me and smiled.