Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Pissed off, no way for CDN to immigrate

Pissed off, no way for CDN to immigrate

Old Nov 20th 2001, 10:56 am
Mike Davis

This ****ing sucks, I'm a Canadian citizen, and I can't get into the US to work at
all without a bachelor's degree... I mean jesus christ it's either that or marry
an American.

and i'm not eligible for the GC lottery because i'm from Canada??

This is so wrong.

Help

Old Nov 20th 2001, 1:33 pm
Stuart

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

What is wrong about it ?

The whole point of the Lottery (called the "Diversity Lottery" is designed to
increase immigration from countries that don't get so many GC applicants through the
normal process ... that's why it is Called the Diversity Lottery.

What makes you special that you think you can get to the US just for being a Canadian
? Sorry, it doesn't work that way.

The USA, like every other nation in the world has the right to set its own
immigration policy, and they do it based on economic and employment needs or family
relations. In general, they are looking for far more professionals than other
categories at this time. The easiest way to define a professional is to set a minimum
education standard, such as a bachelor's degree.

There are non-immigrant programs that will permit people to get to the US without a
bachelor's degree, but that applies to certain job markets only, so it's not
entirely true.

Canada also defines minimum education standards too ... and applies them to Americans
who want to come here.

Until such time as an economic benefit to open the border is shown, the border will
not be as free as many would like, as in the European Union. Griping and swearing at
the Americans isn't likely to win you a lot of support!

Stuart (a Canadian)

Old Nov 20th 2001, 1:40 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Tough titties.

I'm an American Citizen married to a Canadian living in the States and I can't migrate to Canada either as a spouse of a Canadian or independently. I have a bachelor's degree but not in any field that Canada deems worthy. I work in the legal field but don't speak French. I had cancer 10 years ago and Canada thinks me a health risk.

That's life. Not always fair. You could be living in a lot worse places than Canada so get over it.

Rita

PS Canada and the US are not the same countries or have you forgotten that. Canadians don't get preferential treatment in the US nor does Canada accord special treatment to Americas.
Old Nov 20th 2001, 2:29 pm
Kev In Atlanta

It is just as hard or harder to enter Canada as an immigrant. To enter Canada you
must meet a point system which grades you on job experience and Canada's needs as
well as your language skills in both French and English. I was told that, even though
I have a BA degree, a technical school certificate and many years of IT telecomm
(frame relay) transmission experience , I would not qualify to relocate to canada. I
can however apply as the spouse of a Canadian citizen but since I am the one who
works and she takes care of the kids, she would not qualify to sponsor me. So even
professionals who are married to candians have a hard time entering Canada.

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Nov 20th 2001, 2:48 pm
William Scott

Mike Davis wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >

What's the matter, do you think you have some god-given right to come here?

Stay home, we're in a recession.

--

From W. Scott

///////////////////////////// Prevent Terrorism: Close the Borders - Stop Aid to
Israel /////////////////////////////

Jewish Involvement in Shaping American Immigration Policy
http://www.p-m-s.freeserve.co.uk/texts/USpol.htm

Racial Violence Statistics Page http://pw1.netcom.com/~jna/facts/racestat.htm

Minority and Migrant Crime http://www.newnation.org/NNN-news-crime.html

Old Nov 20th 2001, 5:22 pm
Shelley

<snip>
    >
    >
    >

Are you sure about this? My husband is Canadian (we are living in the US right now)
and we have been checking into immigrating to Canada. If I'm not mistaken, spousal
sponsorship is the only one that does not have to meet the financial requirement at
all for immigration. Am I reading that wrong? Take Care. Shelley

Old Nov 20th 2001, 5:26 pm
Shelley

Why on earth would you want to come to the US anyway? The job market for those
without a bachelor's degree is just as bad here as it is in Canada. And if you aren't
coming here to work, you are welcome to visit for up to 6 months at a time, so what's
the problem? Take Care. Shelley

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Nov 20th 2001, 5:33 pm
Stuart

Moreover, even though you've had cancer, that doesn't necessarily bar you from
Canadian immigration. A case could be made on H&C grounds. You should talk to a
Canadian imm. lawyer.

Stuart

>

>
[usenetquote2]>> I can however apply as the spouse of a Canadian citizen but since I am the one who[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> works and she takes care of the kids, she would not qualify to sponsor me. So even[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> professionals who are married to candians have a hard time entering Canada.[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Nov 20th 2001, 6:03 pm
Lv

Did you know that an American citizen can't cross the border north to work unless
he/she meets the same requirements?

Get a Bachelors Degree then.

William Lefkovics, MCSE, A+

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Nov 20th 2001, 6:52 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I have checked it out with an Canadian Immigration Attorney, although it has been suggested that we can apply for I believe a Ministry Permit if denied normal residency.

I think the whole problem is funny actually. Canada allows in refugees without papers. Gives them housing, clothing, free healthcare from day one, and a welfare form. And no one bats an eyelash. And here they would be happy to deny me residency although legally married to a Canadian citizen because of (1) a health issue that is ten years old, and (2) my lack of French skills although we would live in Ontario Prov. which would prohibit me from working in the legal field (a field I have worked in for 34 years).

It is funnier still when I tell you the first time I entered Canada in 1997 to visit my then fiancee, I was told flat out at the airport customs in Ottawa that I should know that I was not welcomed to migrate to Canada as I do not speak the language. Huh? I'm white, anglo-saxon American, born and raised in the US. And then on the return flight home, I was told by the examiner when leaving, "I hope you are going to be bringing your fiancee to the US because it is going to be very hard for you to migrate to Canada."

So what can I tell you guys. Canada doesn't like college educated, middle class women whose annual salary can cover a family of 15 using the poverty guidelines, who are white, protestant, without migrating dependents, who never was on welfare, has no history of mental defects or doesn't take drugs whether legal or illegal, and who has only seen the inside of a court room as a juror.

Go figure ... Canadian's loss; not mine. I still get to visit for the Tulip Festival; Winterlude; gamble with my in-laws in Montreal and visit my husband's niece in the Gattenau mountains.

Rita
Old Nov 20th 2001, 7:14 pm
Stuart

>
    >
    >

Actually, ordinary Canadians bat lots of eyelashes on this issue. We have been really
pissed off about these very issues. It's bad enough that they aren't deported
instantly, or at least put in detention, but they are permitted into the country with
NO TRACK of where they might go to. It's just our darned politicos haven't got the
guts to take a few reasonable precautions to prevent refugee and asylum abuse for
fear of backlash from <name ethnic group> in Canada at the polls.

And here they would
    >
    >

Unfortunately that's like medical insurance underwriters that are murdering the US
health care system

(2) my
    >
    >

I find that curious ....

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Just like the US INS officials who tear people limb from limb when they're only
trying to seek lawful admission under NAFTA ... you get some agents with their
own agenda.

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

That's anything but true at an individual level ... but as you know, in trying to
make immigration fair, it turns into a farce. Just look at the dogs dinner of USA INA
amendments to give ways for people illegally in the US to stay, when trying to do it
legally you have to jump through impossible hoops.

Somewhere along the way, sadly, the intent of the law gets lost in the process.

Stuart

Old Nov 20th 2001, 7:51 pm
Concierge

Yes the US INS system needs a complete overhaul as well. Having been and still being in the immigration process for my Canadian husband since 1998, I've learned more than I wanted to learn about a system that rewards the misfits and punishes the deserving.

Rita
Old Nov 21st 2001, 2:33 pm
Kev In Atlanta

in message

>
[usenetquote2]>> I can however apply as the spouse of a Canadian citizen but since I am the one who[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> works and she takes care of the kids, she would not qualify to sponsor me. So even[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> professionals who are married to candians have a hard time entering Canada.[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Nov 23rd 2001, 1:35 am
Stephen Gallagher

Mike Davis <[email protected]>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

You want help. Here you go. Attend university, get a bachelors degree, and then
you're on your way to meeting the qualifications.

Old Nov 25th 2001, 8:48 am
Someone

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
Now you know what is like to be British ( we are in the same situation)