Physical Exam and Transexuals

Old Dec 12th 2002, 5:18 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Physical Exam and Transexuals

All,

This question is reposted from another discussion group with the express permission of the original poster. Does anyone know the answer? Has anyone had a similar experience?

Regards, JEff

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Has anyone else experienced this? When I took my wife in today for her immgration medical (in the states) [the woman entered on a B2 and subsequently married and filed for AOS; there was no overseas physical as for a K visa] basically all they did were some vaccinations, blood work, and listened to her heart. She didn't have to even remove her shirt..

HOWEVER, the doctor (a lady) asked my wife to pull down her underwear just enough to make sure she didn't have a penis! She said immigration didn't allow transexuals.. The doctor said she could obviously tell my wife wasn't a transexual, but in a recent workshop they were told to be especially wary of very beautiful women.. Not sure if she was stroking us or not...

Are not transexuals allowed to immigrate? Probably not for marriage I suppose.. it was just a very very weird experience..

Any comments?
Old Dec 12th 2002, 6:19 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Physical Exam and Transexuals

Rete,

Thanks for the quick response.

Just to be sure I have this correct. Alex was born a man and was surgically changed to a woman? So your last sentence should read 'He and his husband ...' Or Alex was born a woman and was surgically changed to a man?

It's the "He was a she ... who was changed to female ..." That get's me lost. If he WAS a she, she would have been changed to a male, in which case your last sentence makes sense as stated.

This is confusing!

[EDIT: almost forgot, spelling error, 2 's's gives this from Merriam-Webster On-Line "a person with a psychological urge to belong to the opposite sex that may be carried to the point of undergoing surgery to modify the sex organs to mimic the opposite sex"]

Regards, JEff

Originally posted by Rete
I will admit to being naive on the terminology used for various sexual deviations (is that the correct word?) anyway, the Webster's II New Riverside Dictionary does not have the word transexual in it.

If that when one gender medically alters its body to be the other gender? If so, then yes you can adjust status. Do a google search for Alex about 12 to 14 months ago. He was a she from Canada who was surgical and medically changed to female and Alex married a USC and adjusted status in Montana I believe. He and his wife also adopted his stepdaughter's twins legally.

Rete

Last edited by jeffreyhy; Dec 12th 2002 at 6:22 pm.
Old Dec 12th 2002, 7:23 pm
Wisdom Over Wealth

They made your wife show her privates just to prove she was a she?
I'm so sorry!
I might have punched someone!

Old Dec 12th 2002, 7:27 pm
Andy Platt

A genitals check is part of the standard INS medical. I had to do it too. My
doctor said it was a stupid check because it was designed to show lack of
STDs but, particularly for women, an external check of genitalia was next to
useless.

Andy.

P.S. The doctor did confirm, though, that I had a particularly fine specimen

--
I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination.
"wisdom over wealth" wrote in message
news:4f6K9.327840$NH2.22931@sccrnsc01...
    > They made your wife show her privates just to prove she was a she?
    > I'm so sorry!
    > I might have punched someone!

Old Dec 12th 2002, 7:54 pm
Toni D

>From: Rete

> anyway, the Webster's II New
    >Riverside Dictionary does not have the word transexual in it.

The correct spelling is transsexual. That's probably why you couldn't find it.
Here is the definition:

Main Entry: trans·sex·u·al
Pronunciation: (")tran(t)s-'sek-sh(&-)w&l, -sh&l
Function: noun
Date: 1957
    : a person with a psychological urge to belong to the opposite sex that may be
carried to the point of undergoing surgery to modify the sex organs to mimic
the opposite sex
- trans·sex·u·al·ism /-sh(&-)w&-"li-z&m, -sh&-"li-/ noun
- trans·sex·u·al·i·ty /-"sek-sh&-'wa-l&-tE/ noun :

Old Dec 12th 2002, 8:13 pm
Wisdom Over Wealth

TMI ;-)

Old Dec 12th 2002, 9:10 pm
Mrs_blackross

the dr at my INS medical exam didn't ask to see what's in my undies.
I don't know if i should feel left out or lucky.

"Andy Platt" wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > A genitals check is part of the standard INS medical. I had to do it too.
My
    > doctor said it was a stupid check because it was designed to show lack of
    > STDs but, particularly for women, an external check of genitalia was next
to
    > useless.
    > Andy.
    > P.S. The doctor did confirm, though, that I had a particularly fine
specimen
    >
    > --
    > I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination.

Old Dec 12th 2002, 10:11 pm
Wisdom Over Wealth

I don't want them looking in my hubby's undies!! That is MINE!!!!!

Old Dec 12th 2002, 11:11 pm
Forum Regular

Cathy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by jeffreyhy
All,

This question is reposted from another discussion group with the express permission of the original poster. Does anyone know the answer? Has anyone had a similar experience?

Regards, JEff

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Has anyone else experienced this? When I took my wife in today for her immgration medical (in the states) [the woman entered on a B2 and subsequently married and filed for AOS; there was no overseas physical as for a K visa] basically all they did were some vaccinations, blood work, and listened to her heart. She didn't have to even remove her shirt..

HOWEVER, the doctor (a lady) asked my wife to pull down her underwear just enough to make sure she didn't have a penis! She said immigration didn't allow transexuals.. The doctor said she could obviously tell my wife wasn't a transexual, but in a recent workshop they were told to be especially wary of very beautiful women.. Not sure if she was stroking us or not...

Are not transexuals allowed to immigrate? Probably not for marriage I suppose.. it was just a very very weird experience..

Any comments?
I can answer this being a nurse a long time ago.

The USA does except men who have had genital surgery to become women to be reconised as women with all rights under US law. This includes having birth certificate changed/amended to show new gender. And this also covers Transsexuals from other countries as well. You would have to declare it I guess at the medical but they are not allowed to discrimiate you on grounds that you used to be a man.

At this moment in time the UK is looking to aford the same rights Transsexuals get in the USA to Transsexuals in the UK. The Court of Human rights recently told the UK that they violate the rights of Transsexuals and they advised the UK to change it policies. Ireland also does not reconise Transsexuals. There is also one other country in Europe that does not reconise them either, but the rest do.

So are Transsexuals allowed to immigrate to the USA. YES why shouldn't they be allowed. If you worked in a hospital that did the opperations (as I did) you would understand these people are not just doing it for fun and that it is now seen as a real medical condition that can be treated with surgery. Look for Transsexual under one of the search engines and read the theory behind it to understand it. I would say that the USA has a good understanding of it in order to allow men or women who feel that there gender is wrong to change records of birth and also to marry as women/men which ever it may be.

I contacted my lawyer about this and asked him just out of interest. He is very helpful answering questions. This is what he wrote

INS will usually accept a passport alone - and passports usually do not mention gender. However, I would still recommend that they get a letter just in case the INS examiner questions gender.

On the whole, a Transsexual is a female now, and our laws treat them as such. The only worry is dealing with INS bureaucrats who do not know the law. As such, the immigration lawyer should write a couple paragraphs on the cover letter explaining the gender issue, applying the law.

Last edited by Cathy; Dec 13th 2002 at 2:30 am.
Old Dec 13th 2002, 3:58 pm
Margaret

Where did you have yours done Mrs Blackross, if you don't mind me
asking. Mine was done in London, Ontario and they never checked that
either.

"Mrs_Blackross" wrote in message news:...
    > the dr at my INS medical exam didn't ask to see what's in my undies.
    > I don't know if i should feel left out or lucky.
    >
    >
    > "Andy Platt" wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > A genitals check is part of the standard INS medical. I had to do it too.
    > My
    > > doctor said it was a stupid check because it was designed to show lack of
    > > STDs but, particularly for women, an external check of genitalia was next
    > to
    > > useless.
    > >
    > > Andy.
    > >
    > > P.S. The doctor did confirm, though, that I had a particularly fine
    > specimen
    > >
    > >
    > > --
    > > I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination.

Old Dec 13th 2002, 10:37 pm
Mrs_blackross

I did my AOS from within the US without a K1, so mine was done here in
Maryland. The doctor I went to was of the opinion that most of what is
asked for on the INS medical form ( sexual deviation, previous occurrence of
insanity, alcoholism, gonorrhea, psychopathic personality, etc) is political
BS and should not have anything to do with immigration. Other than my
immunization record and to berate me for being a smoker, he didn't ask for
or check for anything on the sheet, though I still had a blood test for HIV
and a chest xray for TB.

"Margaret" wrote in message