I have been given admission in Ph.D in Computer
Science.Unfortunately,I havent been provided with funding.The proff
says,that he can provide me funding but only after a semester.Can some
one please tell me,will this create any kind of problem in VISA
interview.My personal funds are of the tune of 55000 US $.But the
school estimates school expenses to be 30,000 US$ and Ph.D is of 4
years minimum.So,my funds are insufficient for it.So,I am worried this
will create problem for me in VISA.Can some one suggest some way out,or
if some one has experienced this kind of situtation.

Please help me...

Old Apr 29th 2006, 10:16 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ph.D VISA issue

Originally Posted by Pj
I am worried this will create problem for me in VISA.
For someone about to start a PhD program, I'm a bit surprised by your concern. What difference if your program is 4 years long, you yourself indicated the prof could provide you "funding but only after a semester"? So why should your long-term finances be an issue? That aside though, why should anyone other than you fund your program? If you can't afford it, don't attend.

Ian
Old Apr 29th 2006, 10:29 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
For someone about to start a PhD program, I'm a bit surprised by your concern. What difference if your program is 4 years long, you yourself indicated the prof could provide you "funding but only after a semester"? So why should your long-term finances be an issue? That aside though, why should anyone other than you fund your program? If you can't afford it, don't attend.

Ian

Aren't you being a bit rough on the OP? It is quite unusual for PhDs to be entirely self-financied, at least in science and engineering. As far as I'm aware, practically all the PhD students in my husband's department are from abroad, and most if not all of them get some sort of funding for their research.

To the OP I would say, seek the advice of your professor and the university's international scholar department. I'm sure you are not the only foreign students who has been in this situation, so they should be able to assist you.

Good luck!
Old Apr 30th 2006, 2:33 am
Amanda

pj wrote:
    > Hi all,
    > I have been given admission in Ph.D in Computer
    > Science.Unfortunately,I havent been provided with funding.The proff
    > says,that he can provide me funding but only after a semester.Can some
    > one please tell me,will this create any kind of problem in VISA
    > interview.My personal funds are of the tune of 55000 US $.But the
    > school estimates school expenses to be 30,000 US$ and Ph.D is of 4
    > years minimum.So,my funds are insufficient for it.So,I am worried this
    > will create problem for me in VISA.Can some one suggest some way out,or
    > if some one has experienced this kind of situtation.
    > Please help me...

You only need to show for 1 year expense on financial affidavit which
is what the consular would careand your not having an intent to remain
in US after school, i.e prrof of ties to the home country via
immediately family and family property.

Old Apr 30th 2006, 2:35 am
Amanda

ian-mstm wrote:
    > > Hi all,
    > > I have been given admission in Ph.D in Computer
    > > Science.Unfortunately,I havent been provided with funding.The proff
    > > says,that he can provide me funding but only after a semester.Can some
    > > one please tell me,will this create any kind of problem in VISA
    > > interview.My personal funds are of the tune of 55000 US $.But the
    > > school estimates school expenses to be 30,000 US$ and Ph.D is of 4
    > > years minimum.So,my funds are insufficient for it.So,I am worried this
    > > will create problem for me in VISA.Can some one suggest some way
    > > out,or
    > > if some one has experienced this kind of situtation.
    > >
    > > Please help me...
    > For someone about to start a PhD program, I'm a bit surprised by your
    > concern. What difference if your program is 4 years long, you yourself
    > indicated the prof could provide you "funding but only after a
    > semester"? So why should your long-term finances be an issue?

>That aside though, why should anyone other than you fund your program? If you can't

You have no clue how most foriegn students in science finance their
education, do you? Learn what are TA and RA in grad schools.

> afford it, don't attend.

>
    > Ian
    >
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Apr 30th 2006, 4:20 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Ian
Hi Ian:

I have a sneaky feeling that you are not aware of how much of graduate study in the sciences is funded -- research fellowships, grants, "t.a.", etc etc. Quite often the question is whether or not such funding is "guaranteed." And even if it is, the grad student is expected to help out in drafting proposals and other ways to assist in getting grants.

The OP's question is a fair one.

However, she doesn't give much in the way of WHAT school is involved and other things about their background. Also, I don't what consulate is involved and even if I did, I don't know. So I haven't answered the OP.

If you don't know an answer, then it may be a good idea to be silent.
Old Apr 30th 2006, 7:41 am
Forum Regular

XYZ123 is an unknown quantity at this point

That aside though, why should anyone other than you fund your program? If you can't afford it, don't attend.

Ian
Hey I did my Business PhD from one of the top schools in USA. Never had to pay a dime in tuition. The university pays a stipend of $18,000 per year. I don't think that any PhD student in USA pays tuition.

Also, 60% of PhD students in USA are international students. The same situation for funding and international students is there in Canada, at least in the Business schools. For some strange reason, the universities make absolutely no allowance in admissions for whether the student is a citizen or a foreigner and will always select the best students, regardless of nationality. I have never been able to figure this one out, because it costs the university between $100 K to $200 K to graduate one PhD in business, so one would think that they would prefer to spend the money on citizens.
Old Apr 30th 2006, 3:03 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by XYZ123
......... I have never been able to figure this one out, because it costs the university between $100 K to $200 K to graduate one PhD in business, so one would think that they would prefer to spend the money on citizens.
I think a fair proportion of these foreigners stay on and eventually become citizens...