Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Petty offense exception eligibility

Petty offense exception eligibility

Old Aug 7th 2015, 1:50 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Petty offense exception eligibility

Originally Posted by madness0810
... would they use the existing waiver application...
No, they'll start the waiver process over, because it's a different visa.

Ian
Old Aug 8th 2015, 2:50 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
No, they'll start the waiver process over, because it's a different visa.

Ian
On occasion, the DOS can grant the waiver without DHS concurrence for certain minor offenses if enough time has passed. It would generally be a 1 year visa. It would take a week or two instead of several months. Also, I don't see a compelling reason to punt an application just because you may make another. What's the harm of letting it go through the process?
Old Aug 8th 2015, 6:05 pm
Just Joined

madness0810 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by crg
On occasion, the DOS can grant the waiver without DHS concurrence for certain minor offenses if enough time has passed. It would generally be a 1 year visa. It would take a week or two instead of several months. Also, I don't see a compelling reason to punt an application just because you may make another. What's the harm of letting it go through the process?
I think he will probably go ahead with the waiver if he gets the visa declined as we have planned to go to Florida next year on holiday so I'm guessing this visa would also cover that trip, just in case for some reason his promotion is held up at least we'll be able to go on holiday!
Old Sep 16th 2015, 11:57 am
Just Joined

madness0810 is an unknown quantity at this point

I just thought I'd update this post now that my partner has had his interview.

His appointment was at 8am, he arrived at the embassy at 7:30 and was registered and then called in for his interview at 10am. He said the officer looked at all his documents and asked about his employment information & family he has. His appointment was only between 5 & 10 minutes long & he was told his visa couldn't be issued today due to the previous conviction, but that he was submitting his application for the waiver of ineligibility today.
Now he mentioned to the officer that he will be applying for a visa through work for a position in the U.S and he advised that if he makes that application while the waiver is still pending it will be declined. But he said that if he waits until the waiver has been granted then applies for the L1 visa then that visa will be granted because of the exsisting waiver.

So now we are waiting, the officer said 6 months but from a few other posts I can see some people have been waiting longer, so we'll just sit right now and wait for the visa to be granted.

Thanks again for all your advice :-)