Petitioning for family members

Old Sep 19th 2012, 7:38 pm
Just Joined

muddy mudguard is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Petitioning for family members

So I'll apologize in advance for posting this if there's a specific thread already devoted to it. I did a search but couldn't find what I was looking for.

I have just received my 10yr Green Card and am now a fully fledged LPR. Category IR1.

My mother who is 58yrs old would like to come over to the US and work, I am aware that in order to successfully petition to have her come over I need to be a Citizen - actually I'm not 100% on that - so if anyone could shed any light - that'd be great.

Secondly, my sister has now expressed an interest in also coming over. Is there a way I can petition to have her come over too. She is 39yrs old and has 2 kids (aged 10 and 2). She runs her own business from the UK but would also like to break into the US Market - she's a Graphic Designer.

Any and all advice give is greatly received!

Thanks in advance.
Old Sep 19th 2012, 7:48 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Petitioning for family members

Originally Posted by muddy mudguard
My mother who is 58yrs old would like to come over to the US and work, I am aware that in order to successfully petition to have her come over I need to be a Citizen - actually I'm not 100% on that - so if anyone could shed any light - that'd be great.
It's true. You can't petition for your mother until you are a USC.

Secondly, my sister has now expressed an interest in also coming over. Is there a way I can petition to have her come over too.
Yes, after you become a USC.

Currently, for the parent of a USC it's taking about 8 to 10 months for the Immigrant Visa process. For the sibling of a USC, it's taking about 10 - 12 years. Yes, years...not months, for the sibling.

Rene
Old Sep 19th 2012, 7:51 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Noorah101
It's true. You can't petition for your mother until you are a USC.

Yes, after you become a USC.

Currently, for the parent of a USC it's taking about 8 to 10 months for the Immigrant Visa process. For the sibling of a USC, it's taking about 10 - 12 years. Yes, years...not months, for the sibling.

Rene
Crikey!! 10-12yrs!!! That's a long time!! And I take it she can't enter with indefinite leave to remain until the process is complete??
Old Sep 19th 2012, 7:54 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Crikey!! 10-12yrs!!! That's a long time!! And I take it she can't enter with indefinite leave to remain until the process is complete??
The USA doesn't have "indefinite leave to remain". She can only come to visit as a tourist in the meantime, unless she finds a visa based on her own merits (student, work, investment).

Rene
Old Sep 19th 2012, 7:59 pm
Just Joined

Gotcha - thanks!!!
Old Sep 19th 2012, 8:03 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Apart from the visa issue....what will your mother do for medical insurance till she finds work? It'll be years before she would be eligible for medicare/caid.

This issue has been brought up a lot in previous threads, so well worth mulling that over. It works for some people, depending on the state they move to, but doesn't for many.
Old Sep 20th 2012, 1:06 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Obamacare should have kicked in by then.
Old Sep 20th 2012, 1:30 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

So I'll apologize in advance for posting this if there's a specific thread already devoted to it. I did a search but couldn't find what I was looking for.

I have just received my 10yr Green Card and am now a fully fledged LPR. Category IR1.

Secondly, my sister has now expressed an interest in also coming over. Is there a way I can petition to have her come over too. She is 39yrs old and has 2 kids (aged 10 and 2). She runs her own business from the UK but would also like to break into the US Market - she's a Graphic Designer.

Any and all advice give is greatly received!

Thanks in advance.
What does mother do? She might be able to go for a different visa in her own right.

Sister might also. What about her husband? If she is single/divorced, she might find new love on a visit to you....
Old Sep 20th 2012, 5:27 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Crikey!! 10-12yrs!!! That's a long time!!
And it will likely get even longer if HR3012 passes and they scale back the per country quota restrictions. Given it has almost unanimous support I'd say it's almost certain to happen over that length of time.

Note the length of time - it would take you five years (or three, if you came over via marriage) to become a citizen, then another six years for your parent to become a citizen, then your parent could sponsor your sister which would be slightly quicker - but still longer than if you did it yourself.
Old Sep 20th 2012, 5:31 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Obamacare should have kicked in by then.
It wouldn't be relevant, she's 58, so five years for OP to get citizenship plus a year to get a visa for her mother, she'd be 64 by the time she came over, so she'd be looking at Medicare.

Never having contributed she would have to pay the Part A premiums (in addition to other premiums) so it would be $450 a month for starters.

I'm sure this is why the US is so relaxed about letting parents of US citizens in, because unlike other developed countries, they're not really eligible for much in the way of benefits. Few tax breaks but not much more than that.
Old Sep 20th 2012, 6:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

For the sibling of a USC, it's taking about 10 - 12 years.
For the sublings, what about their immediate family? For example, my sister is married with a 4 and 1 year old. By the time I have citizenship and that waiting time is over, the kids will be over 18! I also thought there was something about being unmarried but I can't remember what that applies to.
Old Sep 20th 2012, 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by GeoffM
For the sublings, what about their immediate family? For example, my sister is married with a 4 and 1 year old. By the time I have citizenship and that waiting time is over, the kids will be over 18! I also thought there was something about being unmarried but I can't remember what that applies to.
I believe unmarried children under the age of 21 can come over with the sibling.

Rene
Old Sep 20th 2012, 6:23 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Assuming they would want to come, they would have their own life by then.
Old Sep 20th 2012, 6:32 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
It wouldn't be relevant, she's 58, so five years for OP to get citizenship plus a year to get a visa for her mother, she'd be 64 by the time she came over, so she'd be looking at Medicare.

Never having contributed she would have to pay the Part A premiums (in addition to other premiums) so it would be $450 a month for starters.
She'd have to be resident for 5 years to qualify to buy Part A. So she'd not be covered by Medicare until she was 69 at the very earliest.
Old Sep 20th 2012, 7:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

I believe unmarried children under the age of 21 can come over with the sibling.

Rene
What I mean is, at what point is their age considered - when putting in the petition, or when they become eligible (priority date or whatever) for the visa? The former would have the older child at ~10 years old; the latter 22+.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.