Petition for Alien Resident

Old Jan 18th 2001, 7:58 am
Addie

About how long does just the petition take to get approved from the initial time
of filing?

Thank you Addie

Old Jan 18th 2001, 11:14 am
Alistair Bell

About how long does just the petition take to get approved from the
> initial time of filing?

I presume you mean 'Petition for Alien Relative', form I-130. It varies substantially
depending on where in the country you are, whether the beneficiary is in the US, and
whether an immigrant visa is available for the beneficiary immediately. It can be anything
from three months to three years.

--
Alistair

*IMPORTANT NOTE* I am not a lawyer and do not dispense legal advice. For accurate
information, always consult a good immigration attorney.

Old Jan 19th 2001, 6:59 pm
Sandy Gonzalez

what if the beneficiary is in the US, CA to be specific, the petition is filed by the US
citizen spouse (meaning an immigrant visa number is immediately available to them)? How
long would approval take approximately? Is it better to file the I-130 and I-485 together?
Thanks in advance.

Old Jan 20th 2001, 5:24 am
Jim Clark

what if the beneficiary is in the US, CA to be specific, the petition is
> filed by the US citizen spouse (meaning an immigrant visa number is immediately
> available to them)? How long would approval take approximately? Is it better to file the
> I-130 and I-485 together?
Thanks
> in advance.
>
My wife and I were in the same situation as you. Filed the I-485 and I- 130 together in
Los Angeles in April 1998. Interview was December 2000. INS failed to tell my wife to get
fingerprinted, so that delayed the stamp in the passport (temporary evidence of permanent
residence until actual card arrives) to January 2001. Got it this week. Email me if you
have other questions.

Jim

Old Jan 23rd 2001, 11:07 pm
Martin Luehning

I presume you mean 'Petition for Alien Relative', form I-130. It varies
>substantially depending on where in the country you are, whether the beneficiary is in
>the US, and whether an immigrant visa is available for the beneficiary immediately. It
>can be anything from three months to three years.

OK, how would it be for: Petitioner lives in Arizona, the beneficiary is German and in
Germany (finihsing up school)?

Old Jan 24th 2001, 11:40 am
Alistair Bell

> >I presume you mean 'Petition for Alien Relative', form I-130. It
varies
> >substantially depending on where in the country you are, whether the beneficiary is in
> >the US, and whether an immigrant visa is available for the beneficiary immediately. It
> >can be anything from three months to three years.
>
> OK, how would it be for: Petitioner lives in Arizona, the beneficiary
is
> German and in Germany (finihsing up school)?

Arizona is covered by the California Service Center. Currently, they are processing I-130
in about four months for spouses, three months for minor children and seven months for
parents and other immediate relatives. You need to add about six months to that for
National Visa Center and consulate processing.

--
Alistair

*IMPORTANT NOTE* I am not a lawyer and do not dispense legal advice. For accurate
information, always consult a good immigration attorney.

Old Jan 29th 2001, 10:09 pm
Martin Luehning

> Isn´t it so that the current backlog in the 2A category is 4.5 years, which
>> includes German citizen? Thanks for any hints... .
>
>Yes. I was assuming the poster was a US citizen and the beneficiary was an immediate
>relative.
>

the poster (me is german and (hopefully) a beneficiary (some time soon). I am sending
in the applicant's statement to frankfurt tomorrow... i'm curious to see how long it takes
them to invite me for the interview. I'll keep you posted how long it takes/took.

martin, stuttgart