Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Petition for alien relative form I-130

Petition for alien relative form I-130

Old Feb 29th 2016, 4:34 pm
Just Joined

Besenyi is a splendid one to beholdBesenyi is a splendid one to beholdBesenyi is a splendid one to beholdBesenyi is a splendid one to beholdBesenyi is a splendid one to beholdBesenyi is a splendid one to beholdBesenyi is a splendid one to beholdBesenyi is a splendid one to beholdBesenyi is a splendid one to beholdBesenyi is a splendid one to beholdBesenyi is a splendid one to behold
Default Petition for alien relative form I-130

It's been quite awhile since my last post, much has changed.
I am now living in the USA with my husband and am now the proud owner of a green card, yay

My son who is 17 filed for a visa at the same time as me, however as wait times were vague, we had no idea when we would be granted our visa.
So my son decided that if he was doing his gcses when the visa was granted he would stay and finish them.
We also thought this would be best as he may one day wish to return to the UK and his gsces would be important to him then.
He has been living with his dad and now his exams are over and he has had a taste of life after school in the UK, he wants to move out here with me.
I contacted the uscis because I wanted to find out an average wait time from start to finish on this process.
Also would he have to redo his medical and police report, the lady I spoke to didn't answer any of these questions for me, not sure what the big secret is.
Long story short I just want to know a time frame and what other steps we have to make as in the medical or police report, so we can better plan and prepare.
Many thanks in advance for your input.
Old Feb 29th 2016, 5:07 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Petition for alien relative form I-130

How long ago did he apply for the immigrant visa?

If the immigrant visa had expired, he can no longer use it. If that's the case, he will have to stay over with an I-130 filed by you. He'll need to redo everything, and there is a backlog in that category (check the visa bulletin).

If your marriage to the USC happened when your son was 16, your husband can also file an I-130 towards his Immigrant visa

Rene
Old Feb 29th 2016, 5:14 pm
Just Joined

Besenyi is a splendid one to beholdBesenyi is a splendid one to beholdBesenyi is a splendid one to beholdBesenyi is a splendid one to beholdBesenyi is a splendid one to beholdBesenyi is a splendid one to beholdBesenyi is a splendid one to beholdBesenyi is a splendid one to beholdBesenyi is a splendid one to beholdBesenyi is a splendid one to beholdBesenyi is a splendid one to behold

He was granted his visa on 09 Jan 2015, it expired 02 Jun2015.
I know he can no longer use it, I just wondered if because he has in the past been approved if this time the wait would be shorter.
Because we would have to make ready, I don't want to file too soon if the wait is shorter or file too late if the wait time will be about the same as last time.
Where is the visa bulletin?
Many thanks.
Old Feb 29th 2016, 5:32 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Visa bulletin can be found at https://travel.state.gov.

For unmarried son of USC (category F1), they are currently processing I-130s filed in July 2008.

For the child of a US PR (Category F2A), they are currently processing I-130s filed in September 2014.

So don't worry about filing too early. It will be anywhere from about a 2 year to 8 year process, depending on who files what.

The wait time most definitely will NOT be shorter than it was the first time around.

Rene

Last edited by Noorah101; Feb 29th 2016 at 5:34 pm.
Old Mar 1st 2016, 10:09 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

For unmarried son of USC (category F1), they are currently processing I-130s filed in July 2008.
He's under 21, so he's not in a preference category, he's still a dependent so I think it's just a case of reapplying for the visa.
Old Mar 2nd 2016, 3:04 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

A year, a good a guess as any.
Old Mar 2nd 2016, 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by Steve_
He's under 21, so he's not in a preference category, he's still a dependent so I think it's just a case of reapplying for the visa.
Ah, OK. If a visa number is immediately available, then figure 8 to 10 months.

Rene