Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Perm Resident with Re-entry Permit and visiting US as a tourist

Perm Resident with Re-entry Permit and visiting US as a tourist

Old Jul 17th 2012, 5:55 am
Banned

jxsteinberg is a jewel in the roughjxsteinberg is a jewel in the roughjxsteinberg is a jewel in the roughjxsteinberg is a jewel in the rough
Default Perm Resident with Re-entry Permit and visiting US as a tourist

This is a somewhat hypothetical question but I was curious as to whether it was possible for a permanent resident was to move abroad for whatever reason after obtaining a re-entry permit would they be able to visit the US as a tourist under the VWP or applicable visa without affecting their re-entry permit?
Old Jul 17th 2012, 6:23 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Perm Resident with Re-entry Permit and visiting US as a tourist

Originally Posted by jxsteinberg
This is a somewhat hypothetical question but I was curious as to whether it was possible for a permanent resident was to move abroad for whatever reason after obtaining a re-entry permit would they be able to visit the US as a tourist under the VWP or applicable visa without affecting their re-entry permit?
I think you misunderstand the rules, or are intent on abusing the rules. The question makes no sense.
Old Jul 17th 2012, 7:39 am
Forum Regular

superkruz has a reputation beyond reputesuperkruz has a reputation beyond reputesuperkruz has a reputation beyond reputesuperkruz has a reputation beyond reputesuperkruz has a reputation beyond reputesuperkruz has a reputation beyond reputesuperkruz has a reputation beyond reputesuperkruz has a reputation beyond reputesuperkruz has a reputation beyond reputesuperkruz has a reputation beyond reputesuperkruz has a reputation beyond repute

To maintain your PR status you have to live in the US and may visit abroad. A re-entry permit allows this visit to last up to two years. You may enter the US during the validity period of the re-entry permit, but you will do so as a PR, using your Green card, not the VWP or some other visa.

Your question implies that one lives abroad and visit the US. This is a risky thing to do as it could be seen as having abandoned your permanent residency and lead to loss of the Green card.

I hope that answers your question.

Last edited by superkruz; Jul 17th 2012 at 7:43 am.
Old Jul 17th 2012, 9:08 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I was curious as to whether it was possible...
No, it isn't.

... for a permanent resident ... to visit the US as a tourist under the VWP...
By definition, a permanent resident lives in the US. You can't visit the place that's actually your home.

Ian
Old Jul 17th 2012, 12:26 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

OP has been told the essential inconsistency of his question.

That said, it is possible for an LPR on a long-term sojourn outside of the US to obtain and visit the US on a B-2 during that sojourn before returning to resume physical residence. The B-2 is not necessarily inconsistent with maintenance of LPR status. However, the situations where this would happen are limited.

I am curious why OP is posing the question.
Old Jul 17th 2012, 7:47 pm
Banned

jxsteinberg is a jewel in the roughjxsteinberg is a jewel in the roughjxsteinberg is a jewel in the roughjxsteinberg is a jewel in the rough

I am posting this question because I have tentatively been looking at career options in Vancouver with success and was just curious regarding if I was to move up there if there would be any problems visiting the US or transiting through
Old Jul 17th 2012, 10:37 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I am posting this question because I have tentatively been looking at career options in Vancouver with success and was just curious regarding if I was to move up there if there would be any problems visiting the US or transiting through
If you MOVE to another country, you will most likely abandon your US PR status. A re-entry permit would allow you to go work temporarily in Canada while also taking steps in the USA to preserve your US PR status. In that case, you'd not be visiting the USA on the VWP, you'd be a returning resident of the USA, and would enter on your unexpired green card and re-entry permit.

If you intend to move permanently out of the USA, then you can give up your green card, you no longer would need a re-entry permit, and it won't harm your ability to visit the USA on the VWP in the future, no.

Rene