Pending AOS & Traveling

Old Dec 1st 2002, 6:47 pm
Forum Regular

mailmena is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Pending AOS & Traveling

I got a quick question. I filed for AOS in July 2002 and still waiting for my interview and fingerprint (marriage based). Got my roundtrip ticket to visit my family during Christmas so I have my passport and Advance Parole.

Anything else you think I might need at POE?

Thanks in advance and Happy Holidays!
Old Dec 1st 2002, 7:49 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pending AOS & Traveling

Originally posted by mailmena
I got a quick question. I filed for AOS in July 2002 and still waiting for my interview and fingerprint (marriage based). Got my roundtrip ticket to visit my family during Christmas so I have my passport and Advance Parole.

Anything else you think I might need at POE?

Thanks in advance and Happy Holidays!
If you are a female and changed your surname, then bring your marriage certificate. If you are a male, forget that advice ;-)

Happy travelling.

Rete
Old Dec 2nd 2002, 3:04 pm
Tl3

Default Re: Pending AOS & Traveling

On Sun, 01 Dec 2002 19:47:49 +0000, mailmena
wrote:

>I got a quick question. I filed for AOS in July 2002 and still waiting
    >for my interview and fingerprint (marriage based). Got my roundtrip
    >ticket to visit my family during Christmas so I have my passport and
    >Advance Parole.
    >Anything else you think I might need at POE?
    >Thanks in advance and Happy Holidays!

Hopefully this will not happen to you, but my wife had her interview
last August 2001, we got an advance parole to visit her mother and
returned without any problem. Later, the INS informed us that since my
wife's case was still pending and she left the country, she is now out
of status and would have to apply for an I601. We had to hire a lawyer
at great expense, who told us what we already knew. The INS made a
mistake. This is a huge bureaucracy, and because someone made a
mistake and filed the right paperwork, it will now take a huge effort
on our part to correct this. So be careful and good luck.

Old Dec 2nd 2002, 3:14 pm
Forum Regular

mailmena is an unknown quantity at this point

Female, but didn't change surname.

When I first came to the US I was a non-immigrant (student). So now I would assume at INS line... I would go through line for immigrants (still don't like this word)?

Thanks for the advice Rete.
Old Dec 2nd 2002, 3:58 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by mailmena
Female, but didn't change surname.

When I first came to the US I was a non-immigrant (student). So now I would assume at INS line... I would go through line for immigrants (still don't like this word)?

Thanks for the advice Rete.
Yup you will go through the non-citizen/visitor line. Don't recall it being called immigrant line.

If your hubby is with you, it is quite possible that you might be able to go through with him if the counters aren't too busy.

Rete
Old Dec 2nd 2002, 8:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Caro is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Rete
Yup you will go through the non-citizen/visitor line. Don't recall it being called immigrant line.

If your hubby is with you, it is quite possible that you might be able to go through with him if the counters aren't too busy.

Rete
When I enter by myself, I take the alien line. When, I enter with my husband, we go together through the US citizen line (as we have a joint customs declaration). BTW, the officer I had in the US line was really puzzled by the AP, and had to ask his neighbor to come over and debated how to handle the case, and finally sent me to secondary inspection after staring at the document for about 5 minutes. (Never had any problem in the alien line).

Caroline