Which passport should i get?

Old Aug 6th 2007, 10:20 pm
hormone laden anglo

ivor bigun is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Which passport should i get?

I am british by birth and now a us citizen.QUESTION: my british passport expired back in 2000,should i apply for a U.S. passport which will take 4 month's to get or renew my british one.I plan to travel mid september.Is this legal and also if i apply for U.S passport will i denied because i owe the irs 2k from 1998.
cheers
Old Aug 6th 2007, 10:24 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which passport should i get?

Originally Posted by ivor bigun
I am british by birth and now a us citizen.QUESTION: my british passport expired back in 2000,should i apply for a U.S. passport which will take 4 month's to get or renew my british one.I plan to travel mid september.Is this legal and also if i apply for U.S passport will i denied because i owe the irs 2k from 1998.
cheers
As a USC you are required to have a US passport for travel out of and into the US. It's the law. I believe there is an option of getting it fast-tracked by going to a PP office in person, with proof of travel plans.

I would also advise renewal of your British passport for travel into and out of the UK.
Old Aug 6th 2007, 10:55 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

cheers
You won't be denied getting a US passport because of owing IRS money, no.

Rene
Old Aug 6th 2007, 10:56 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Which passport should you get? Both.

Rene
Old Aug 7th 2007, 2:43 am
J. J. Farrell

On Aug 6, 11:20 pm, ivor bigun <[email protected]>
wrote:
> I am british by birth and now a us citizen.QUESTION: my british passport
> expired back in 2000,should i apply for a U.S. passport which will take
> 4 month's to get or renew my british one.I plan to travel mid
> september.Is this legal and also if i apply for U.S passport will i
> denied because i owe the irs 2k from 1998.
> cheers

As a USA citizen you must use a USA passport to leave and enter the
USA. You have no choice but to get one of those. I don't know if you
would need a British passport or find one useful.

Old Aug 7th 2007, 5:12 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Noorah101
You won't be denied getting a US passport because of owing IRS money, no.

Rene
You can get denied for not paying child support.

Both.
Old Aug 7th 2007, 5:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

dave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond repute

As everyone says you'll need a US passport to get out of the country, if your destination is a EU country then a UK passport will allow you to go through the quicker lines. Theoretically if you're going to the UK they could refuse you admitance if you try to enter via a US passport
Old Aug 7th 2007, 6:11 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave2702
As everyone says you'll need a US passport to get out of the country, if your destination is a EU country then a UK passport will allow you to go through the quicker lines. Theoretically if you're going to the UK they could refuse you admitance if you try to enter via a US passport

Honestly can't believe the question was asked in the first place.

How little people know about their rights and obligations as citizens of their chosen and natural countries.
Old Aug 7th 2007, 11:29 pm
hormone laden anglo

Smile Re: Which passport should i get?

Originally Posted by Rete
Honestly can't believe the question was asked in the first place.

How little people know about their rights and obligations as citizens of their chosen and natural countries.
WELL i guess i am just another dumb imigrant then.I havent traveled since 1980,and i thought that i should ask first.Sorry you found the question demeening on your forum.I though this would be the venue for this type of question.Moving right along now with the next question:do i now need a visa to enter the UK?.I applied for a us passport today, thanks for the response from all concerned.
Old Aug 7th 2007, 11:46 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

WELL i guess i am just another dumb imigrant then.I havent traveled since 1980,and i thought that i should ask first.Sorry you found the question demeening on your forum.I though this would be the venue for this type of question.Moving right along now with the next question:do i now need a visa to enter the UK?.I applied for a us passport today, thanks for the response from all concerned.

Why would you need a visa to enter your own country? And just so you know, US citizens don't visas to visit the UK either.

As stated in other replies to your first question, you will leave the US with your US Passport and you will enter the UK with your British Passport. On the return you will leave the UK with your British Passport and enter the US with your US Passport.
Old Aug 7th 2007, 11:50 pm
Concierge

WELL i guess i am just another dumb imigrant then.I

I never thought or said immigrants were dumb. However, you took the time and money to become a US Citizen and one would assume that you also took the time to leave about your new country of citizenship and its laws and regulations in regards to your country of birth, the UK, assuming you were born there and don't hold another citizenship on top of those two.

That's the dumb part. Becoming a citizen and not knowing your rights and obligations.
Old Aug 7th 2007, 11:58 pm

Lycanthrop is an unknown quantity at this point

Why would you need a visa to enter your own country? And just so you know, US citizens don't visas to visit the UK either.

As stated in other replies to your first question, you will leave the US with your US Passport and you will enter the UK with your British Passport. On the return you will leave the UK with your British Passport and enter the US with your US Passport.
I recently left the US on a US passport, changed my trousers and trimmed off the moustache in the bog on the plane and entered the UK on a pair of roller skates impersonating the third Dr Who whilst whistling the theme from Brigadoon. Will this pose any problems if Hillary gets elected?

(Actually, in Gatwick, the nice lady with the check-in computer cart asked for my US passport (knowing that I have both) for leaving the UK. Rather strange, but didn't want to cause a scene due to the presence of rather large Police Alsatian........odd)
Old Aug 8th 2007, 12:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lycanthrop
I recently left the US on a US passport, changed my trousers and trimmed off the moustache in the bog on the plane and entered the UK on a pair of roller skates impersonating the third Dr Who whilst whistling the theme from Brigadoon. Will this pose any problems if Hillary gets elected?

(Actually, in Gatwick, the nice lady with the check-in computer cart asked for my US passport (knowing that I have both) for leaving the UK. Rather strange, but didn't want to cause a scene due to the presence of rather large Police Alsatian........odd)
That's probably because you're "travelling" on your US passport.

I almost caused one check-in lady to have a nervous breakdown at LHR because I didn't have a visa for Oz in my UK PP....I was going to USA for 3 weeks, then Oz for a week, then back to USA for 3 more weeks. I was intending to travel to USA on my UK PP, and then onwards to Oz with my Oz PP. She wanted to stop me from travelling at all on that flight...thankfully, eventually, common sense prevailed.
Old Aug 8th 2007, 12:40 am
J. J. Farrell

On Aug 8, 12:29 am, ivor bigun <[email protected]>
wrote:
> > Honestly can't believe the question was asked in the first place.
>
> > How little people know about their rights and obligations as citizens
> > of their chosen and natural countries.
>
> WELL i guess i am just another dumb imigrant then.I havent traveled
> since 1980,and i thought that i should ask first.Sorry you found the
> question demeening on your forum.I though this would be the venue for
> this type of question.Moving right along now with the next question:do i
> now need a visa to enter the UK?.I applied for a us passport today,
> thanks for the response from all concerned.

You are a British citizen, so you don't need a visa as long as you
have a British passport. I don't know whether or not you need a visa
if you try to enter the UK on a USA passport, but if you do there's a
good chance you won't get one since you are a British citizen. (The
USA will not give visas to USA citizens; I don't know if the same is
true of the UK but I would expect it to be).

Old Aug 8th 2007, 12:43 am
hormone laden anglo

In my post i mentioned that my uk passport had expired .Now this may sound dumb ,but how can i travel into the uk on an expired passport.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.