Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Passport renewal for dual citizen child

Passport renewal for dual citizen child

Old Oct 20th 2009, 6:35 pm
Forum Regular

rachococo is just really nicerachococo is just really nicerachococo is just really nicerachococo is just really nicerachococo is just really nicerachococo is just really nicerachococo is just really nicerachococo is just really nice
Default Passport renewal for dual citizen child

Hi, my daughter has dual citizenship, my husband is American, I am British and we currently live in UK. Her passport we got in person from the US embassy in London shortly after her birth has run out (she is 5 years old) and we need to renew asap, as I am just starting the visa process so we can all relocate to USA. Can we mail the passport application? We live a long way from London and it would be really awkward to visit the Embassy again. Which form do we need etc.
many thanks
Rachael
Old Oct 20th 2009, 6:38 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Passport renewal for dual citizen child

Originally Posted by rachococo
Hi, my daughter has dual citizenship, my husband is American, I am British and we currently live in UK. Her passport we got in person from the US embassy in London shortly after her birth has run out (she is 5 years old) and we need to renew asap, as I am just starting the visa process so we can all relocate to USA. Can we mail the passport application? We live a long way from London and it would be really awkward to visit the Embassy again. Which form do we need etc.
many thanks
Rachael
Method of Application
You are required to apply for the passport in person at this office. An appointment is necessary.

I wonder if she can enter on an expired passport?
However, once in the States, it's the same rules:

How to Renew Your U.S. Passport

RENEW BY MAIL IF ALL OF THE FOLLOWING ARE TRUE:

Your Most Recent U.S. Passport:

check image Is undamaged and can be submitted with your application
Was issued when you were age 16 or older
Was issued within the last 15 years
Was issued in your current name or you can legally document your name change

If the above statements do not apply to you, you must Apply in Person .
http://travel.state.gov/passport/get...renew_833.html
Old Oct 20th 2009, 6:40 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

many thanks
Rachael
You need an in-person appointment. If Belfast's closer or easier, you can apply there instead.
Old Oct 20th 2009, 6:54 pm
Forum Regular

rachococo is just really nicerachococo is just really nicerachococo is just really nicerachococo is just really nicerachococo is just really nicerachococo is just really nicerachococo is just really nicerachococo is just really nice

Is Cardiff a possibility? London fully booked until December, we have just mailed my I-130 to get a visa for USA and hoping to move over ASAP. I am concerned they may want to see her passport when I attend the interview.
Old Oct 20th 2009, 6:57 pm
Forum Regular

Also my husband is leaving to go to USA in a couple weeks, and we are both required to be there. There is no way to get an appointment before he goes...arrggghh!
Old Oct 20th 2009, 7:04 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Is Cardiff a possibility? London fully booked until December, we have just mailed my I-130 to get a visa for USA and hoping to move over ASAP. I am concerned they may want to see her passport when I attend the interview.
Nope! You've got London or Belfast. Flights to Belfast are cheap and plentiful -- and there's sometimes less of a wait.
Old Oct 20th 2009, 7:07 pm
Septicity

Or Edinburgh it would seem.
Old Oct 20th 2009, 7:08 pm
Forum Regular

The US embassy site is only giving me the option of Edinburgh or London...how do I select Belfast?
Thanks!
Old Oct 20th 2009, 7:22 pm
Septicity

The US embassy site is only giving me the option of Edinburgh or London...how do I select Belfast?
Thanks!
http://www.usembassy.org.uk/nireland/nipassper.html
Old Jan 1st 2010, 2:18 pm
Forum Regular

Hi, i have just booked an appointment at the Edinburgh Consulate on Tuesday to renew my 5 year old dual citizen daughters US passport. I just read somewhere that it is only for American Citizens residing in Scotland and that people who are residents of England and Wales must use the embassy in London. Is this true?? I have also been advised that it is OK to renew the passport in Edinburgh, but don't want to make the trip if I won'e be able to do it there. We are in quite a rush as expecting my Marriage based visa appointment very soon and have to be out of our house by the end of January. Hoping to move to USA at end Jan/early feb.

Thanks for your help
Rachael
Old Jan 1st 2010, 3:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

henryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond repute

I'd recommend asking on www.uk-yankee.com

Good luck, happy new year
Old Jan 2nd 2010, 1:03 pm
Forum Regular

Hi, sorry to post again but I've had no response from UK-Yankee website. Does anyone know if we can renew my daughters US passport in Edinburgh if we live in England? We have an appointment booked on Tuesday and will leave tomorrow if its possible.
Many thanks
Rachael
Old Jan 2nd 2010, 1:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

traceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, i have just booked an appointment at the Edinburgh Consulate on Tuesday to renew my 5 year old dual citizen daughters US passport. I just read somewhere that it is only for American Citizens residing in Scotland and that people who are residents of England and Wales must use the embassy in London. Is this true?? I have also been advised that it is OK to renew the passport in Edinburgh, but don't want to make the trip if I won'e be able to do it there. We are in quite a rush as expecting my Marriage based visa appointment very soon and have to be out of our house by the end of January. Hoping to move to USA at end Jan/early feb.

Thanks for your help
Rachael
How did you manage to book an appointment on a Bank Holiday, if you spoke to someone yesterday would they not be there today? Did you not have to give your address to book the appointment? Surely if it cant be done there they would have told you when you booked the appointment?
Old Jan 2nd 2010, 1:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

traceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond repute

The Edinburgh Consulate provides routine services only to persons residing in Scotland. Residents of England and Wales must apply for services at the Embassy in London.

Just took that from the web site, so it would seem that you cant.
Old Jan 2nd 2010, 2:30 pm
Forum Regular

There is an online booking service, I have booked for tuesday and they didn't ask if we resided in Scotland or not. The London appointments are booked up for a number of weeks and we need to get ready to leave for America ASAP, my daughters passport has run out. We haven't got plane tickets yet so can't apply for emergency passport for her. As an American Citizen my husband will be travelling through Scotland and as a visitor to Scotland surely he can use the consulate for this service if it is impossible to get a date in London?? Does anyone have first hand experience of going to Edinburgh Consulate?
Many thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.