Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

passport problem with DFA in Cebu - plz see inside

passport problem with DFA in Cebu - plz see inside

Old Jun 20th 2002, 3:20 am
Billy Bob

Default passport problem with DFA in Cebu - plz see inside

My finace lives in Cebu Philippines. I was there in January and paid an agency to get
her a new passport because her previous one was lost. Now the DFA in Cebu is telling
her that its done but they want a baptismal certificate in order for her to pick up
the passport. This sounds strange to me. I think if the passport is done then all the
required papers have been previously provided and they should just give it to her.
Has anyone ever had an experience like this? What happens if she is not religous and
never been baptised? Does that mean she cant have a F'en passport? I dont know what
the DFA is trying to pull here but it dont seem right. My fiance is telling me they
are requiring this because her birth certificate is a late registration, meaning she
did not get a birth cert when she was born. it was later when they got it. I think
the DFA is crooked over there and/or is stalling for time for some reason. Does
anyone know some contact info where I might call or email to get this mess
straightend out. please send me email to [email protected] removed the dashes
from my name to send it ok... any help is appreciated very very much.

Old Jun 20th 2002, 8:20 am
Mrtravel

Default Re: passport problem with DFA in Cebu - plz see inside

Billy Bob wrote:
    >
    > My finace lives in Cebu Philippines. I was there in January and paid an agency to
    > get her a new passport because her previous one was lost. Now the DFA in Cebu is
    > telling her that its done but they want a baptismal certificate in order for her to
    > pick up the passport. This sounds strange to me. I think if the passport is done
    > then all the required papers have been previously provided and they should just
    > give it to her.

But, you are just guessing about what they should do. Personally, I think they are
not satisfied with the proof of birth she has supplied.

Has anyone ever had an experience like this? What
    > happens if she is not religous and never been baptised? Does that mean she cant
    > have a F'en passport? I dont know what the DFA is trying to pull here but it dont
    > seem right. My fiance is telling me they are requiring this because her birth
    > certificate is a late registration, meaning she did not get a birth cert when she
    > was born. it was later when they got it.

So, it would seem the government would have a reason to suspect the possibility of
fraud. It sounds reasonable to me.

> Has anyone ever had an experience like this? What happens if she is not religous
    > and never been baptised? Does that mean she cant have a F'en passport?

Is this the case. Was she or was she not baptized? If she wasn't baptized, which
would be a minority of people, then she would have been asked for other
documentation, just like in the US. After all, when they told her she needed a
baptismal certificate, did she tell them she wasn't baptized, and ask for an
alternative.

The government believes her documentation is questionable. They have a right to ask
for more documentation. Given the recent terrorist activities there, I think that
would be normal. After all, if a birth record in the US was questionable, I would
expect the US government to demand additional evidence. And... believe or not, that
would include "baptismal records", school records, affidavits, etc.

> I think the DFA is crooked over there and/or is stalling for time for some reason.
    > Does anyone know some contact info where I might call or email to get this mess
    > straightend out.

As a citizen of a foreign country AND not the person with passport problem, I see no
reason for them to straighten this out for you. In the Philippines, it might be more
beneficial for a male family member to assist, but for an American to make the
request would seem arrogant. (Yes, I spent a couple years in the PI in a former life)

> please send me email to [email protected]

Please read posts to the newsgroup. It is what they are for. Newsgroups are for
sharing of information, not private replies.

Old Jun 21st 2002, 1:20 am
The Exorcist

Default Re: passport problem with DFA in Cebu - plz see inside

On Thu, 20 Jun 2002 07:46:03 GMT, mrtravel <[email protected]> wrote:

>
    >Please read posts to the newsgroup. It is what they are for. Newsgroups are for
    >sharing of information, not private replies.

I include email address for anyone that wishes to reply privately, NOT that I am
expecting that. I am quite capable of reading these messages and do so on a
daily basis.

It seems real odd that the DFA says the passport is done and ready to be picked up,
yet they are at the same time asking for additional documentation. It almost 5 months
now and no passport. I'm starting to think its really not done. If it's not done,
thats all we want to know. What would YOU do? Im not willing to just sit back and
wait to see if anything happens. I'm still looking for the correct phone number for
the DFA so we can find out the facts. The agency we are using is very slow and of
litttle help so far. We cant wait forever. We understand these papers are only valid
for 120 days and we are running out of time.

Darold