Wikiposts

Passport/going home for Christmas

Old Nov 23rd 2008, 5:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Marmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Passport/going home for Christmas

Originally Posted by meauxna
You can only make the appointments within two weeks of departure.. it was a nail biter! There are very strict guidelines laid out for getting the appointment and you must bring proof of travel (our e tickets were fine). I worked off the detail from this page (only for Seattle for us) http://travel.state.gov/passport/abo...ncies_905.html

Our appointment was for fairly early in the AM; we too had a long drive (about 3+ hours), did the paperwork shuffle and then were told to leave and return mid afternoon to pick up the pp. Most of the people using the office were also brand-new citizens with pressing travel needs. All went very smoothly; I'll have a hunt later for my post from the time to see if there is more detail.

As long as you have the appropriate evidence and $$, there is no reason I know of they would not issue the PP that day. We *really* didn't want to miss our trip! But it never occurred to me that they would not issue that same day.
Thanks Meauxna, I'm printing off the relevant information as I type! Would it be a problem if I booked my flight AFTER I received the letter stating when the oath ceremony was? Meaning, would I have had to have had the flight booked before I got word about when the oath ceremony is
Old Nov 23rd 2008, 5:55 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
That'd be an ideal solution, but for the fact that a US citizen must travel on a US passport.

Ian
I didn't think you use any passport to leave the United States.
Old Nov 23rd 2008, 5:57 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ

That has not been my experience...
Old Nov 23rd 2008, 5:57 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
The airline ask to see it at check-in. My argument is that they are not US authorities. If you leave via a Mexico land crossing, there is no passport check.
Old Nov 23rd 2008, 6:19 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Marmalade
Thanks Meauxna, I'm printing off the relevant information as I type! Would it be a problem if I booked my flight AFTER I received the letter stating when the oath ceremony was? Meaning, would I have had to have had the flight booked before I got word about when the oath ceremony is
I don't think it's a problem to book later, M. You must simply show evidence of travel within 14 days of your appointment.

Still looking; I know I tacked it onto someone else's thread after the fact...
(edit: nope, losing my mind)

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...71&postcount=1

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...3&postcount=48

I did turn up the other fellow who did this; user denis flew from Arizona to SFO to accomplish the same thing.
Old Nov 23rd 2008, 6:20 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...26&postcount=9

Thanks, Lansbury.

State Dept says so (although this is not the legal citation)
Most U.S. citizens, including dual nationals, must use a U.S. passport to enter and leave the United States. Dual nationals may also be required by the foreign country to use its passport to enter and leave that country.

Actually that whole thread turned into a discussion on this subject.
Old Nov 23rd 2008, 6:31 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...26&postcount=9

Thanks, Lansbury.

State Dept says so (although this is not the legal citation)
Most U.S. citizens, including dual nationals, must use a U.S. passport to enter and leave the United States. Dual nationals may also be required by the foreign country to use its passport to enter and leave that country.

Actually that whole thread turned into a discussion on this subject.

The United States does not currently operate passport or other document checks on exit from the United States. So to talk about "using a U.S. passport to leave the United States" is to make a meaningless statement.
Old Nov 23rd 2008, 11:51 am
BE Enthusiast

AlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond repute

Here's the emergency number for Boston - maybe not applicable but there must be a similar process elsewhere. 1-877-487-2778, You make the appointment by 'phone, turn up with tickets and you must be traveling within 14 days. See the attachment.
Attached Thumbnails Passport/going home for Christmas-emergencypassport.gif  
Old Nov 23rd 2008, 11:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Marmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AlanR
Here's the emergency number for Boston - maybe not applicable but there must be a similar process elsewhere. 1-877-487-2778, You make the appointment by 'phone, turn up with tickets and you must be traveling within 14 days. See the attachment.
Thanks Alan, yes I've now got the information for the Chicago office, and it is the same type of thing. I will call them tomorrow and see what they say. Thanks everyone.

M.
Old Nov 23rd 2008, 12:53 pm

Thanks Alan, yes I've now got the information for the Chicago office, and it is the same type of thing. I will call them tomorrow and see what they say. Thanks everyone.

M.
lol, I suspect they will tell you that they won't talk to you unless you are traveling within 14 days.
Old Nov 23rd 2008, 1:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

lol, I suspect they will tell you that they won't talk to you unless you are traveling within 14 days.
Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.............okay then. So, realistically I will have to wait until December 1st before I can call them. Makes me feel really uncomfortable to wait until then, but if it has to be done

Last edited by Marmalade; Nov 23rd 2008 at 1:18 pm.
Old Nov 24th 2008, 5:23 am
BE Enthusiast

AlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond repute

That is my take on the subject too. But the plus side is that a passport on the day is almost certain, I believe (I can't say a given as there may be some hitch).
Old Nov 24th 2008, 5:26 am

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.............okay then. So, realistically I will have to wait until December 1st before I can call them. Makes me feel really uncomfortable to wait until then, but if it has to be done
I know..we were in the same exact spot. The only thing we had going for us was that at the time, he *could* have used the certificate to cross, but we were going packing around Mexico & didn't want the risk.
Courage!

Originally Posted by AlanR
That is my take on the subject too. But the plus side is that a passport on the day is almost certain, I believe (I can't say a given as there may be some hitch).
I think so too Alan, but hesitate to say 100%. Just in case!
I think Marmalade's going to have a good adventure (I suspect that the pps obtained this way may not have the chip in them but am not sure).
Old Nov 24th 2008, 7:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
The United States does not currently operate passport or other document checks on exit from the United States. So to talk about "using a U.S. passport to leave the United States" is to make a meaningless statement.
Correct, but the airline doesn't have to let you on the plane if you can't show you have a valid passport to enter/leave that country, or a valid US PP/visa to let you back into the US. From what I understand, it's somewhat to do with the fact that they don't want to foot the bill if someone gets denied entry and has to be sent packing on the next plane.
Old Nov 24th 2008, 8:15 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
Correct, but the airline doesn't have to let you on the plane if you can't show you have a valid passport to enter/leave that country, or a valid US PP/visa to let you back into the US. From what I understand, it's somewhat to do with the fact that they don't want to foot the bill if someone gets denied entry and has to be sent packing on the next plane.
If both your flights are with the same airline it could also ring alarm bells that you are travelling using different PPs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.