Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Passport Expiry whilst waiting for Adjustment of Status

Passport Expiry whilst waiting for Adjustment of Status

Old Mar 15th 2013, 6:01 pm
In Anticipation

BibbyBear is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Passport Expiry whilst waiting for Adjustment of Status

Hi Guys

Well, I guess it's been a little while since my last post here but I still find myself coming over to seek out answers and advice from all of you experienced peeps here

Anyway, I'm trying to decide what the best course of action would be.....

My I485 (Adjustment of status) along with I131 (Travel Document) & I765 (Employment Authorization) were officially received by USCIS and since then, both the travel and employment have been approved and I have got the official card in my possession

However; I am getting a little nervous about the length of time it will take for the Adjustment of Status (I485) to proceed to the next stage. Obviously, they have already got my biometrics as this was needed for my employment card too but I haven't heard anything else from them in respect to an interview or anything else.

I know that is is only just three months since their receipt of my application but I am getting close to the point of needing to send my UK passport off to Washington as it expires in June and I will definitely need it back in my sticky little mitts by early July as it is my son's 21st birthday and I DON'T want to miss going home to see him for that.

I suppose my question is this...... if I send off my passport for renewal and I get called for an interview for my Adjustment of Status whilst my passport is away, will this be a problem? Will I even need it for the interview?

My other question is this...... is there a chance that I won't even get called for an interview? So far, everything I have sent in has been accepted without any RFE's etc (probably due to the fact that I have followed the advice of so many of you on this forum and got it right first time )

I have tried doing a search on here for anything to do with I485's but coming up blank on this one. I can't even find on the USCIS website how long it takes to process the I485's - if I select that form from the drop down list, it then asks for a sub-form (employment or asylum based etc) but marriage based is not an option in there so I have no idea?

Right...... I shall stop waffling now and get on with some more job hunting
Old Mar 15th 2013, 6:18 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Passport Expiry whilst waiting for Adjustment of Status

It typically takes about 6 months from filing AOS to interview.

You do not need your UK passport for the interview. You can use any government issued photo ID to get in the building (such as drivers license, state ID, or EAD).

Rene
Old Mar 15th 2013, 6:20 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

If you sent off your AOS package in Dec 2012 (3 months ago), you should have your AOS interview around June 2013. However, just in case it takes a little longer in your case, and the interview conflicts with the birthday trip overseas, you should go to the AOS interview. If you try to reschedule that one, and it doesn't get to the right person's attention, you will be considered a "no-show" and your case will be closed, making your AP invalid for travel back to the USA.

Rene
Old Mar 15th 2013, 7:21 pm
In Anticipation

BibbyBear is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks so much for that advice Rene..... I wasn't sure if it was 3 or 6 months for the interview (I was hoping for the earlier precisely for the reason you mention!)

My son is very aware that timings might suck a little and although unhappy that I may not make it back for his birthday, he is understanding that I may have to travel later on instead.

At least I know that I can send off my passport and have that all ready when needed.

Thanks again - you're a star!!
Old Mar 16th 2013, 3:35 am
London Canada to Atlanta

country_canuck has a reputation beyond reputecountry_canuck has a reputation beyond reputecountry_canuck has a reputation beyond reputecountry_canuck has a reputation beyond reputecountry_canuck has a reputation beyond reputecountry_canuck has a reputation beyond reputecountry_canuck has a reputation beyond reputecountry_canuck has a reputation beyond reputecountry_canuck has a reputation beyond reputecountry_canuck has a reputation beyond reputecountry_canuck has a reputation beyond repute

They will also likely accept expired photo ID (DL, Passport etc.) - to be sure do not point out it is expired!
Old Mar 17th 2013, 12:22 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

FWIW,

The Los Angeles District Offices [Los Angeles, Santa Ana, Chatsworth, San Bernadino] do NOT, repeat NOT, require an ID to enter the building. However, the representative of the Dark Forces wants to see one in the interview.

BTW, check in advance if the particular office allows those dangerous items such as Mobiles with cameras in the door. Here in LA, Santa Ana does not -- you may want to take make sure you wear a wristwatch to tell time. I'm one popular guy when I'm in Santa Ana.