Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

passport/AP docs on puerto rico vacation?

passport/AP docs on puerto rico vacation?

Old Jun 29th 2004, 6:05 pm
Forum Regular

grouchy has a spectacular aura aboutgrouchy has a spectacular aura aboutgrouchy has a spectacular aura about
Default passport/AP docs on puerto rico vacation?

Just checking with anyone who has done this...my understanding is that there is no passport control between the US mainland and Puerto Rico and therefore we were not planning to take my husband's passport and AP along when we go for July 4 (I would prefer to keep those precious documents safely at home if possible). I read a few posts on this forum about the Virgin Islands that made my wonder if I should be so sure, so anyone with personal experience, sharing it would be appreciated.
Old Jun 29th 2004, 6:26 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: passport/AP docs on puerto rico vacation?

Originally posted by grouchy
Just checking with anyone who has done this...my understanding is that there is no passport control between the US mainland and Puerto Rico and therefore we were not planning to take my husband's passport and AP along when we go for July 4 (I would prefer to keep those precious documents safely at home if possible). I read a few posts on this forum about the Virgin Islands that made my wonder if I should be so sure, so anyone with personal experience, sharing it would be appreciated.

I would not do that if it were me. What if an emergency happens and you have to land on another island which is not a US territory? What if you want to visit another island? Put the document in the hotel safe but if it were me, I would not travel without it and I never travel off of US soil without a passport, and that includes Canada.

Rete
Old Jun 29th 2004, 7:26 pm
Eric S.

My wife and I went on our honeymoon to Puerto Rico in April. We did not go
through Immigration on the way there or back. We flew direct Boston - San
Juan. On our way home, at the San Juan airport, there was a little podium
with a US Immigration seal on it and an officer behind it, just after we
went through airport security. But everyone just walked past him.

We did bring our passports, just in case. Although they were never needed.
Just make sure you have a photo ID for airport security.

- Eric S.

"grouchy" <member10718@british_expats.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Just checking with anyone who has done this...my understanding is that
    > there is no passport control between the US mainland and Puerto Rico and
    > therefore we were not planning to take my husband's passport and AP
    > along when we go for July 4 (I would prefer to keep those precious
    > documents safely at home if possible). I read a few posts on this forum
    > about the Virgin Islands that made my wonder if I should be so sure, so
    > anyone with personal experience, sharing it would be appreciated.
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Jun 29th 2004, 7:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

kariml is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by grouchy
Take the passport. There is an immigration check upon leaving and they will check the non-US citizens passport for entry stamps of other islands. We were married last year in the USVI and spent our honeymoon there as well. There were no issues at all when we left, but they did ask for my husband's passport. You don't need AP, but you do need your passport.