passport and adjustment

Old Jul 7th 2001, 1:51 am
Zimmen Gnauh

Most people don't have to worry about passport. But this does not apply to me. My
passport has expired and my country refused to give me any extension unless I go home
and never comes back to the US.

What I'm worrying now is whether this will affect my green card application.
Some people say that only refugees can waive the passport to obtain the green
card. I'm not a refugee and have no intention to apply for policatial asylum.
Also, I have started to apply for green card and will soon proceed to I-485.
What will happen to my I-485?

Sincerely, Zimmen

Old Jul 7th 2001, 5:38 pm
James Donovan

Won't your country's consulate in the US issue a new passport to you?

Zimmen Gnauh <[email protected]>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Jul 9th 2001, 6:36 pm
Sylvia Ottemoeller

Zimmen Gnauh wrote:

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

A waiver of the requirement for a valid passport is available to I-485 applicants. (I
can't find the provision at the moment.) You can have the "passport stamp" which is
evidence of permanent resident status placed onto a special form I-94.

If the I-485 is employment-based, you will probably receive the I-797 Approval Notice
in the mail. INS will not check whether you have a valid passport before approving
the I-485. However, when you get the approval notice, you have to go to your INS
district office, and get a green card stamp (usually in the passport), and give your
index fingerprint and signature on what will become your actual Permanent Resident
Card eventually.

You might want to check with an attorney in your area just to protect your interests.
It could save you an extra trip to INS.

Old Jul 9th 2001, 11:38 pm
Zimmen Gnauh

Thanks a million for your information. Yes, my I-485 will be employment based. I'll
definitely check with an experienced lawyer to verify what kind of possible effects
this would have on me. However, since this is very rare case (most people without a
passport are refugee), most lawyers do not have this experience. What I am worrying
is: when I receive the approval notice for my I-485 and go to my INS district office
for a green card stamp, the passport problem arrises and eventually prevent me from
obtaining the green card.

Sylvia Ottemoeller wrote:

>
    >
[usenetquote2]> > Most people don't have to worry about passport. But this does not apply to[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > me. My passport has expired and my country refused to give me any extension[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > unless I go home and never comes back to the US.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > What I'm worrying now is whether this will affect my green card application.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Some people say that only refugees can waive the passport to obtain the[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > green card. I'm not a refugee and have no intention to apply for policatial[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > asylum. Also, I have started to apply for green card and will soon proceed[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > to I-485. What will happen to my I-485?[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >