Passport

Old May 2nd 2001, 4:24 pm
Dale & Brenda

Just wondering when I will need my passport for INS ...I will be filing my I485,
I765, I131 etc for marriage based to a US citizen in 2 weeks ...not sure if I needed
it for my EAD or if I needed it for my advanced parole ...btw I am a canadian citizen
and havent needed my passport up to this point ...

Thanks Brenda

Old May 2nd 2001, 4:44 pm
Daisy

You'll need it for alot of reasons...to prove you are a canadian citizen...you'll
need it when you get your green card stamp...in fact I asked our INS officer at our
interview if my canadian husband needs to keep his passport current and he said to
ALWAYS keep a current passport.

Daisy

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old May 2nd 2001, 5:29 pm
Alex J

You do not need it to prove you are a canadian citizen - you only need your birth
certificate for that. As for needing it to get the stamp - I can say from experience
- call the office you will be filing at and ask them. I have never had a passport (I
am Canadian) so I called to see if I would need one for the AOS interview (Helena, MT
is our local office) and was told no I did not need one (because they know Canadians
don't always have one) that a temporary green card would be made up for us (daughter
and myself) if we brought in extra pictures. That is exactly what they did.

So (from my own experience) I think the pat answer of "you need a passport" for
Canadians is wrong and it should be " check with the office you are filing with. Of
course that is just my 2 cents worth.

Alex

Daisy wrote:

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

[usenetquote2]> > Just wondering when I will need my passport for INS ...I will be filing my I485,[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > I765, I131 etc for marriage based to a US citizen in 2 weeks ...not sure if I[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > needed it for my EAD or if I needed it for my advanced parole ...btw I am a[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > canadian citizen and havent needed my passport up to this point ...[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Thanks Brenda[/usenetquote2]

Old May 2nd 2001, 5:54 pm
Alex J

In Helena, MT - I did not need it for the EAD and I did not need it for the AOS
interview.

Alex

Dale & Brenda wrote:

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old May 2nd 2001, 6:01 pm
Dale & Brenda

I didnt need my passport for my Iowa drivers license or my SSN ...but I just wasnt
sure if I needed it for my advanced parol to visit into canada or not ...thats
basically all I was worried about ...I am planning on getting it anyways just to
be safe ...

Brenda

>
the
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
[usenetquote2]> > Just wondering when I will need my passport for INS ...I will be filing[/usenetquote2]
my
[usenetquote2]> > I485, I765, I131 etc for marriage based to a US citizen in 2 weeks[/usenetquote2]
...not
[usenetquote2]> > sure if I needed it for my EAD or if I needed it for my advanced parole ...btw I[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > am a canadian citizen and havent needed my passport up to this point ...[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Thanks Brenda[/usenetquote2]

Old May 2nd 2001, 6:05 pm
Nicolas Steenhout

OTOH,

At our AOS interview, I got ragged on because I didn't have a passport. I too am
canadian and came in without it, never figured I'd need one.

Then, when I went for my Illinois driver's license, they nearly refused me because I
didn't have a passport. I ended up spending four hours talking to the superior's
superior's superior.... It took a while to explain and get it through her thick
skull that as a canadian, I could cross the border with only a valid driver's
license (if that).

My suggestion to you is: Get your passport now. You may never need it, but if you do,
you'll have it, and will avoid a lot of worries. Call your local consulate/embassy,
ask them to send you the forms. It's really an easy process.

Just my two cents...

-----== Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 16 Different Servers! =-----

Old May 2nd 2001, 6:54 pm
Hilary Whalen

You DO need a Canadian passport to prove you are a Canadian citizen if you were born
in a country other than Canada ( I was born in the UK), and am now a Canadian
citizen!!!!!!!!!!! ( my citizenship card is not enough).

Alex J wrote:

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
[usenetquote2]> > You'll need it for alot of reasons...to prove you are a canadian citizen...you'll[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > need it when you get your green card stamp...in fact I asked our INS officer at[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > our interview if my canadian husband needs to keep his passport current and he[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > said to ALWAYS keep a current passport.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Daisy[/usenetquote2]

[usenetquote2]> > > Just wondering when I will need my passport for INS ...I will be filing my[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > I485, I765, I131 etc for marriage based to a US citizen in 2 weeks ...not sure[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > if I needed it for my EAD or if I needed it for my advanced parole ...btw I am[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > a canadian citizen and havent needed my passport up to this point ...[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > Thanks Brenda[/usenetquote2]
    >

Old May 2nd 2001, 8:08 pm
Alex J

They you should make that clear the first time you posted it. Because as a general,
blanket statement like you made it is not true. I as a Canadian citizen born in
Canada do not need a passport to prove I am a Canadian citizen. But then again I
guess I should have been more detailed too and said you do not need one if you were
born in Canada.

Alex

Hilary Whalen wrote:

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
[usenetquote2]> > You do not need it to prove you are a canadian citizen - you only need your birth[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > certificate for that. As for needing it to get the stamp - I can say from[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > experience - call the office you will be filing at and ask them. I have never had[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > a passport (I am Canadian) so I called to see if I would need one for the AOS[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > interview (Helena, MT is our local office) and was told no I did not need one[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > (because they know Canadians don't always have one) that a temporary green card[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > would be made up for us (daughter and myself) if we brought in extra pictures.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > That is exactly what they did.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > So (from my own experience) I think the pat answer of "you need a passport" for[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Canadians is wrong and it should be " check with the office you are filing with.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Of course that is just my 2 cents worth.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Alex[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Daisy wrote:[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > You'll need it for alot of reasons...to prove you are a canadian[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > citizen...you'll need it when you get your green card stamp...in fact I asked[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > our INS officer at our interview if my canadian husband needs to keep his[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > passport current and he said to ALWAYS keep a current passport.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > Daisy[/usenetquote2]

[usenetquote2]> > > > Just wondering when I will need my passport for INS ...I will be filing my[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > I485, I765, I131 etc for marriage based to a US citizen in 2 weeks ...not[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > sure if I needed it for my EAD or if I needed it for my advanced parole[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > ...btw I am a canadian citizen and havent needed my passport up to this point[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > ...[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > Thanks Brenda[/usenetquote2]

Old May 2nd 2001, 9:10 pm
Dale & Brenda

not sure if you are referring to Hilary's posting or me, the one who had posted the
origional question ...because I was born and raised in canada and havent been asked
for a passport since day one of being here ...

Brenda

>
a general,
    >
born in Canada
    >
guess I
    >
were born in
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
[usenetquote2]> > You DO need a Canadian passport to prove you are a Canadian citizen if[/usenetquote2]
you were born
[usenetquote2]> > in a country other than Canada ( I was born in the UK), and am now a[/usenetquote2]
Canadian
[usenetquote2]> > citizen!!!!!!!!!!! ( my citizenship card is not enough).[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Alex J wrote:[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > You do not need it to prove you are a canadian citizen - you only need[/usenetquote2]
your
[usenetquote2]> > > birth certificate for that. As for needing it to get the stamp - I[/usenetquote2]
can say from
[usenetquote2]> > > experience - call the office you will be filing at and ask them. I[/usenetquote2]
have never
[usenetquote2]> > > had a passport (I am Canadian) so I called to see if I would need one[/usenetquote2]
for the
[usenetquote2]> > > AOS interview (Helena, MT is our local office) and was told no I did[/usenetquote2]
not need
[usenetquote2]> > > one (because they know Canadians don't always have one) that a[/usenetquote2]
temporary green
[usenetquote2]> > > card would be made up for us (daughter and myself) if we brought in[/usenetquote2]
extra
[usenetquote2]> > > pictures. That is exactly what they did.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > So (from my own experience) I think the pat answer of "you need a[/usenetquote2]
passport" for
[usenetquote2]> > > Canadians is wrong and it should be " check with the office you are[/usenetquote2]
filing
[usenetquote2]> > > with. Of course that is just my 2 cents worth.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > Alex[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > Daisy wrote:[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > You'll need it for alot of reasons...to prove you are a canadian[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > citizen...you'll need it when you get your green card stamp...in[/usenetquote2]
fact I
[usenetquote2]> > > > asked our INS officer at our interview if my canadian husband needs[/usenetquote2]
to keep
[usenetquote2]> > > > his passport current and he said to ALWAYS keep a current passport.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > Daisy[/usenetquote2]

[usenetquote2]> > > > > Just wondering when I will need my passport for INS ...I will be[/usenetquote2]
filing my
[usenetquote2]> > > > > I485, I765, I131 etc for marriage based to a US citizen in 2 weeks[/usenetquote2]
...not
[usenetquote2]> > > > > sure if I needed it for my EAD or if I needed it for my advanced[/usenetquote2]
parole
[usenetquote2]> > > > > ...btw I am a canadian citizen and havent needed my passport up to[/usenetquote2]
this
[usenetquote2]> > > > > point ...[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > > Thanks Brenda[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > >[/usenetquote2]

Old May 2nd 2001, 11:52 pm
Alex J

Hilary's.

Dale & Brenda wrote:

>
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old May 3rd 2001, 3:29 am
Grinch

"Alex J" <[email protected]> who is Canadian and thus should appreciate the fine play
of the mighty Sabres wrote

>
a general,
    >
born in Canada
    >
guess I
    >
were born in
    >

You might in Upper Volta. They need passports there.

Grinch

Old May 3rd 2001, 2:35 pm
Alex J

Upper Volta? Just call me stumpy :}

Alex

Grinch wrote:

>
    >
    >
[usenetquote2]> > They you should make that clear the first time you posted it. Because as[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > blanket statement like you made it is not true. I as a Canadian citizen[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > do not need a passport to prove I am a Canadian citizen. But then again I[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > should have been more detailed too and said you do not need one if you[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > Canada.[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >