Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Passing US citizenship onto children born abroad?

Passing US citizenship onto children born abroad?

Old Jul 3rd 2019, 12:25 pm
Just Joined

BritYankee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Passing US citizenship onto children born abroad?

Hi,
I'm curious what American citizen parents (living in abroad) with children born abroad, how they went about the process of getting US citizenship/passports for their children, how long the process took to complete and how much were the filing fees, etc.

For example, what papers/documents did you provide to the Embassy/Consulate and how was the whole interview process?

What was your overall experience dealing with consular officials?
Old Jul 3rd 2019, 12:29 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Passing US citizenship onto children born abroad?

CRBA is the process, seems pretty straightforward from what I have seen.
Old Jul 3rd 2019, 12:59 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

If the US citizenship is eligible to pass on US Citizenship to their child[ren] born abroad and they are still living abroad, this should be one of the first places to start.

https://uk.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/birth/

While it is the US Embassy in the UK, the same information is found for all US Consulates/Embassies worldwide.
Old Jul 3rd 2019, 1:48 pm
Just Joined

BritYankee is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Boiler
CRBA is the process, seems pretty straightforward from what I have seen.
I believe it goes by a case by case basis. For some people, you're right it's pretty straightforward if you have all of your documents. What I don't understand is what documents are necessary and acceptable for the consulate.
Old Jul 3rd 2019, 2:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
If the US citizenship is eligible to pass on US Citizenship to their child[ren] born abroad and they are still living abroad, this should be one of the first places to start.

https://uk.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/birth/

While it is the US Embassy in the UK, the same information is found for all US Consulates/Embassies worldwide.
Actually it is not absolutely required to have a Consular Report of Birth Abroad to get citizenship but highly advisable as getting a Certificate of Citizenship later can be cumbersome.

The process seems to vary a lot according to country as to the level of documentation required and processing times.

Old Jul 3rd 2019, 2:34 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by morpeth
Actually it is not absolutely required to have a Consular Report of Birth Abroad to get citizenship but highly advisable as getting a Certificate of Citizenship later can be cumbersome.

The process seems to vary a lot according to country as to the level of documentation required and processing times.
While it might not be absolutely required, having a CRBA is what made getting my passport and being able to vote in the US much easiery.

Apparently this poster is a Brit/US couple. We don't know if the US parent is even eligible to pass on US citizenship to their child[ren]. We have seen many such cases on these forums of just that situation.
Old Jul 3rd 2019, 2:37 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by BritYankee
I believe it goes by a case by case basis. For some people, you're right it's pretty straightforward if you have all of your documents. What I don't understand is what documents are necessary and acceptable for the consulate.
I gave you the US Embassy's link. Read it through and it will give you the documentation required, the fee, etc. If you don't want to register your children for a CRBA, here is the link for just the passport.

https://uk.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen...u-s-passports/

And if you follow that link, it brings you right back to the CRBA link I gave earlier.

Last edited by Rete; Jul 3rd 2019 at 2:41 pm.