overstayed visa

Old Nov 25th 2003, 5:05 am
Just Joined

CrazyBeautiful is an unknown quantity at this point
Default overstayed visa

Here we go...

I met my boyfriend while he was in the U.S. visitng some friends, and then eventually working. However, he recently returned to Europe because of a family emergency.

I know that if you overstay your visa for more than 180 days, or approximately 6 months, a 3-year ban is placed. What I'm not sure about is when does the "ban period" begin:
6 months from the date in which you arrive in the US (in this case let's say 6 months after January) or does it begin after 6 months one had already been in the country (that is, 6 months after June)? Get it?

Basically, in a nutshell, if my boyfriend arrived in January and left in June, will a ban be placed? However, if there is no ban, what exactly does he have to do to be allowed to re-enter the U.S.?

Any advice or help would greatly be appreciated.

Let me know if there's any hope...
Thanks!
Old Nov 25th 2003, 9:46 am
BE Enthusiast

supernav will become famous soon enoughsupernav will become famous soon enough
Default Re: overstayed visa

3 year ban AFTER you leave.

Oherwise it wouldn't make sense. Come here in Jan. Leave 2 1/2 years later. And come back 6 months later cuz the ban started when you first arrived. Then it wouldn't be a 3 year ban at all.

So tell him he's got a nice 3 years now to wait. Unless he can prove he left on time via boarding pass, letters, or what have ya. If he doesn't satisfy the POE that he left on time -- he'll get "bounced".

-= nav =-