Overstay on VWP

Old Nov 13th 2012, 11:30 am
BE Enthusiast

henryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Overstay on VWP

Even if the J-1 is initially denied, you'd be eligible to apply for a 212(d)(3) waiver (Google it for more info).
Old Nov 13th 2012, 11:31 am
Just Joined

Britishlady is an unknown quantity at this point

I will go along and hope for the best.
I will plead complete ignorance which is the truth.
I have my sponsorship offer through the CIEE, a full time Job waiting for me in the UK upon completion of the traineeship, proof of funds and property ties.
In guessing if there was a big problem, I wouldn't have been allowed into the US in those other 4 occasions.
Old Nov 13th 2012, 11:47 am
BE Enthusiast

henryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Britishlady
In guessing if there was a big problem, I wouldn't have been allowed into the US in those other 4 occasions.
I don't think that's true. By law, you should not have been allowed into the US on those 4 occasions. That you were allowed in was a mistake, probably because the details of your earlier overstay hadn't yet reached the relevant part of CBP's computer system.

But it sounds to me like you have a good case. Good luck, and please post back with an update after your interview!
Old Nov 13th 2012, 11:50 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

You proceed from a false premise, and have therefore reached a faulty conclusion. US law places the onus on the traveller to always know the immigration rules. You used the VWP when you were not eligible.

Ian
Old Nov 13th 2012, 12:14 pm
Just Joined

Is anyone aware of anyone overstaying their tourist visa very briefly and being awarded a j1 visa? Everywhere I read if 3 year bans for overstaying by 180 days. I overstayed 45 days at the most 12, almost 13 years ago. Yes, I'm aware I did wrong and yes, I know now that it was my responsibility to know the rules of the vwp. I guess I'm trying to find a way if being positive about the situation, that maybe it might go in my favour.
I will be devastated if my j1 gets denied. I've worked very hard to get it.
Old Nov 13th 2012, 3:50 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Is anyone aware of anyone overstaying their tourist visa very briefly and being awarded a j1 visa?
Perhaps, but you should not compare their case to yours. First of all, you are asking about people who overstayed a tourist visa, while you were on the VWP...it's a different thing.

Everywhere I read if 3 year bans for overstaying by 180 days. I overstayed 45 days at the most 12, almost 13 years ago.
Correct. Since you overstayed less than 180 days, you didn't incur any ban when you left the USA. You just made yourself ineligible to use the VWP again.

I will be devastated if my j1 gets denied. I've worked very hard to get it.
I hope it goes well for you. Please keep us posted.

Rene
Old Nov 14th 2012, 12:31 am
Just Joined

If I get refused, can I apply for a waiver of ineligibility? And is there a possibility of me getting it if I can prove my sponsorship, funds for the trip, proof of property (my home) and confirmation that my full time permanent job will be here waiting for me?
I need to go into this interview feeling somewhat positive.
Old Nov 14th 2012, 2:29 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

If I get refused, can I apply for a waiver of ineligibility? And is there a possibility of me getting it if I can prove my sponsorship, funds for the trip, proof of property (my home) and confirmation that my full time permanent job will be here waiting for me?
I need to go into this interview feeling somewhat positive.
I don't know if there is a waiver available. But yes, there is always the possibility of getting the visa.

Rene
Old Nov 17th 2012, 3:35 am
Just Joined

I forgot to say, when I left the US After my overstay, I never handed in my I 94 card. This was in 2000. Will I be on the system at all?
Old Nov 17th 2012, 3:39 am

I forgot to say, when I left the US After my overstay, I never handed in my I 94 card. This was in 2000. Will I be on the system at all?
On what system? USCIS will know you left anyway...they have access to flight records. Make sure you also have paper evidence that you left the USA when you did.

Not turning in the I-94 won't affect your overstay issues, though, you still have that problem.

Rene
Old Nov 17th 2012, 3:45 am
Just Joined

I have proof when I started work on my return, to show I did actually leave the country.
Would they really go to that effort to look up flight records from 11 years ago for a short overstay?
Old Nov 17th 2012, 3:54 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have proof when I started work on my return, to show I did actually leave the country.
Would they really go to that effort to look up flight records from 11 years ago for a short overstay?
You will show the dates in your application.
Old Nov 17th 2012, 3:58 am
Just Joined

My application for what?
Old Nov 17th 2012, 4:00 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Visa
Old Nov 17th 2012, 4:02 am
Just Joined

The j1 I applied for or in 2000? In 2000 I went to the airport with my ticket, filled out the green form and that was it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.