Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

out of the USA for 3 years for a reason, lost the GC?

out of the USA for 3 years for a reason, lost the GC?

Old Mar 18th 2007, 1:57 pm
Forum Regular

canadian04 is just really nicecanadian04 is just really nicecanadian04 is just really nicecanadian04 is just really nicecanadian04 is just really nicecanadian04 is just really nicecanadian04 is just really nicecanadian04 is just really nice
Default Re: out of the USA for 3 years for a reason, lost the GC?

Why not use one of the "pre-clearance" POEs? If I had a parent who wanted to go this route and tried to reenter with his/her GC, I would have them fly to Canada or Ireland (or Poland??), then continue from there to the USA. I don't think the US has the right to detain somebody on foreign land, do they? I mean, if she checks in with US Immigration in Toronto, and they deny her entry, then she can still walk out of the Terminal and head home. Better than being locked up for months, that's for sure.

Originally Posted by Boiler
I guess she could be paroled in, but the posts I have seen, not many, from those that did go this route were detained.

SB-1 would be the best route, why put a 75 year old through the hassle.

B chances would need more info, including her country, assuming she wants to just visit.
Old Mar 18th 2007, 2:55 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by canadian04
Why not use one of the "pre-clearance" POEs? If I had a parent who wanted to go this route and tried to reenter with his/her GC, I would have them fly to Canada or Ireland (or Poland??), then continue from there to the USA. I don't think the US has the right to detain somebody on foreign land, do they? I mean, if she checks in with US Immigration in Toronto, and they deny her entry, then she can still walk out of the Terminal and head home. Better than being locked up for months, that's for sure.
Not Poland

Being detained is optional if you want to go before an Immigration Judge, do not know what happens in Canada etc, perhaps you are allowed to travel but will be picked up at the US end.
Old Mar 19th 2007, 3:26 am
Just Joined

leujoa is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you all for the information. Now I have another question. My mom never filed tax by herself independently, I always filed her as a dependent. Will this count as her tie to the USA?

leujoa
Old Mar 19th 2007, 3:39 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by leujoa
Thank you all for the information. Now I have another question. My mom never filed tax by herself independently, I always filed her as a dependent. Will this count as her tie to the USA?

leujoa
Just wondering how that works when you are out of the country, doing my taxes now and my head hurts.

But did they not have income/investments/pensions of their own? Or are they totally dependant on you for support?
Old Mar 19th 2007, 3:46 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Just wondering how that works when you are out of the country, doing my taxes now and my head hurts.

But did they not have income/investments/pensions of their own? Or are they totally dependant on you for support?
I didn't think you could file someone as your dependent if they are out of the country - unless it's a student attending college overseas. But I'm not an accountant, so could be wrong I guess. Just hope the OP checked this out beforehand.
Old Mar 19th 2007, 5:18 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Elvira
I didn't think you could file someone as your dependent if they are out of the country - unless it's a student attending college overseas. But I'm not an accountant, so could be wrong I guess. Just hope the OP checked this out beforehand.
They have their retirement income from the foreign country but the figures are way below the taxable limit here (after the money exchange). I have been giving money to them and the amount was more than what they made. That's why I could claim them as dependents. Anyway, back to my question again: file tax as dependent will work out ok or have to file independently to pass POE? Thanks.
leujoa
Old Mar 19th 2007, 5:34 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

They have their retirement income from the foreign country but the figures are way below the taxable limit here (after the money exchange). I have been giving money to them and the amount was more than what they made. That's why I could claim them as dependents. Anyway, back to my question again: file tax as dependent will work out ok or have to file independently to pass POE? Thanks.
leujoa
Sweetheart, I really doubt that you will get all the information you need to resolve this complex situation from a forum like this. Have a one-time consultation with a well qualified immigration attorney - someone who is experienced in Permanent Residency ABANDONMENT issues.

Check the AILA websites for names of attorneys - doesn't necessarily have to be in your area as you may be able to get sufficient information over the phone. But the important thing is that he/she has experience with abandonment issues, as this is quite a specialized field.
Old Mar 19th 2007, 4:07 pm
Just Joined

Sweetheart, I really doubt that you will get all the information you need to resolve this complex situation from a forum like this. Have a one-time consultation with a well qualified immigration attorney - someone who is experienced in Permanent Residency ABANDONMENT issues.

Check the AILA websites for names of attorneys - doesn't necessarily have to be in your area as you may be able to get sufficient information over the phone. But the important thing is that he/she has experience with abandonment issues, as this is quite a specialized field.
I think you are right. Thanks.
Old Mar 19th 2007, 4:48 pm
Forum Regular

bluesails has much to be proud ofbluesails has much to be proud ofbluesails has much to be proud ofbluesails has much to be proud ofbluesails has much to be proud ofbluesails has much to be proud ofbluesails has much to be proud ofbluesails has much to be proud ofbluesails has much to be proud ofbluesails has much to be proud ofbluesails has much to be proud of

I agree, it is more than worth checking with a competent attorney on this issue. I hope you will come back to share what you find out and which direction you go.

Best of luck!
Old Apr 10th 2007, 3:37 pm
Just Joined

I requested a replaced social security card (it was lost) for my mother a week ago. They issued her a new one after verified her permanent resident status with the immigration office. Can any one give the best guess what does this mean? Can she still come in with her GC?
Old Apr 10th 2007, 3:53 pm
Account Closed

I requested a replaced social security card (it was lost) for my mother a week ago. They issued her a new one after verified her permanent resident status with the immigration office. Can any one give the best guess what does this mean? Can she still come in with her GC?
Nothing, they do not know her current situation.
Old Apr 10th 2007, 4:12 pm
Just Joined

Nothing, they do not know her current situation.
You mean immigration office does not know her current situation? They are not connected with the port of entry?
Old Apr 10th 2007, 4:36 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

You mean immigration office does not know her current situation? They are not connected with the port of entry?
They probably don't even know she's not in the USA right now. They are not the same people who cover the POE and Border Patrol.

Your mom left the USA but did not notify anyone with immigration of that fact, so how would they know? It is only when she tries to come BACK to the USA that someone will question how long she was gone and whether her PR status has been abandoned.

Rene
Old Apr 10th 2007, 5:14 pm
Homebody

Originally Posted by Noorah101
They probably don't even know she's not in the USA right now. They are not the same people who cover the POE and Border Patrol.

Your mom left the USA but did not notify anyone with immigration of that fact, so how would they know? It is only when she tries to come BACK to the USA that someone will question how long she was gone and whether her PR status has been abandoned.

Rene
I wonder how the OP was able to get a replacement SS card for her mother if the mother wasn't here to sign the form?
Old Apr 10th 2007, 5:36 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder how the OP was able to get a replacement SS card for her mother if the mother wasn't here to sign the form?
Good question. Unless the OP sent the form to his mother, she signed it and returned it to him.

I was able to get my husband's new SS card without him being being present at the SS office, but he signed the form at home and I brought it into the office.

Rene

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.