Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Out of Interest is the Interview like the film Green Card

Out of Interest is the Interview like the film Green Card

Old Dec 7th 2002, 4:34 am
Forum Regular

Cathy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Out of Interest is the Interview like the film Green Card

I have just filed my AOS this Wednesday and have a long long road ahead of me. However I am really curious as to what the interview entails.

After watching the film Green Card can anyone tell me is the interview really like that where they ask you lots of personal questions about each other and seperate you to do so.

Can someone or some of you explain the interviews you have had.

I am not panicing as yet nor concerned about the time I will have to wait for my interview as a week is yet to pass since filing. But I am curious, sorry.
Old Dec 7th 2002, 6:01 am
Forum Regular

JuMu is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Out of Interest is the Interview like the film Green Card

Hi Cathy,

you may go here to find some interview experiences:
http://www.kamya.com/interview/

Greetings
JuMu

Originally posted by Cathy
I have just filed my AOS this Wednesday and have a long long road ahead of me. However I am really curious as to what the interview entails.

After watching the film Green Card can anyone tell me is the interview really like that where they ask you lots of personal questions about each other and seperate you to do so.

I am not panicing as yet nor concerned about the time I will have to wait for my interview as a week is yet to pass since filing. But I am curious, sorry.
Old Dec 7th 2002, 6:12 am
Banned

Matthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Cathy

Its funny you should ask. I had a nice couple from Laos in my office this evening (they came to me for the K-1 and their AOS, and their AOS spousal interview is at the LA INS office on 12/11) and I was taking around an hour going through my standard AOS interview prep session; and I specifically asked them if they had seen the movie "Greencard" (which they had) and told them that their interview will be nothing like the movie.

The INS "usually" doesn't separate the couple, and if they did, I don't think they would use two different officers (that would make it difficult to compare answers). I've only run across 1 INS office that routinely questions the parties to an AOS marriage based submission separately (in an initial interview), and if memory serves correctly, I believe that was the Casper, WY. INS office (I suspect this is due to having an extremely low volume of work and too much time on their hands). There might be other INS offices out there that routinely separate couples for an initial AOS interview, but if there are, I'm not aware of them (but I guess there could be more of them out there).

Now, if they suspect a marriage of convenience, they might then separate the couple and ask the weird questions (I could list quite a few of them that I've heard INS officers use). But for a typical AOS case where the person entered with a fiancée visa, I get the impression from my client's experiences that the AOS interviews are pretty quick and easy (but of course, there will always be an exception or two to that).

I could type for hours about this subject, but I'm getting office fever. Its 11PM and I've been here all day. I'm going home :-). I'll likely come in and work all day tomorrow as I've got an AOS submission to get ready for filing at the L.A. INS office Monday morning, plus a new set of fiancée forms to prepare and get on their way to a new client (not to mention mail to catch up on that piled up when I was out of town last week).

Regards,
Matthew Udall
Attorney
http://members.aol.com/MDUdall/fiancee.htm
Old Dec 7th 2002, 6:40 am
Forum Regular

Cathy is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for the advise, its very nice to know its not like that. There's me thinking oh my god I don't know everything about him. What if they ask what make is his tooth brush or something. Or does he have a mole in a strange place.

Ever since that fim I have feared the INS. My marriage is genuine and my intent is good. I now have a wonderful family on my husbands side, mine I have missed since my fater died several years ago from cancer. I wish he could of been at my wedding to give me away.

I followed a link that was posted after my question here and now feal a lot better after reading stories from others who have been there and done it.

Each day I will read these boards so that I can continue to be reasured and well informed.

Thank once again
Old Dec 7th 2002, 11:18 am
Vampier

that film was a big joke/fraud as far I am concerned :P They don't show the
emotion involved (the negative emotions) or the stress from waiting. (takes
another prozac or 5 :P)

GreeTz

Patrick

> I have just filed my AOS this Wednesday and have a long long road ahead
    > of me. However I am really curious as to what the interview entails.
    > After watching the film Green Card can anyone tell me is the interview
    > really like that where they ask you lots of personal questions about
    > each other and seperate you to do so.
    > Can someone or some of you explain the interviews you have had.
    > I am not panicing as yet nor concerned about the time I will have to
    > wait for my interview as a week is yet to pass since filing. But I am
    > curious, sorry.

Old Dec 7th 2002, 4:19 pm
Keebee30

My interview experience was great Cathy. I am in Portland, OR & our
INS isn't known to be too friendly. The lady we got was really
nice....& it lasted all about 2 minutes I think. I know what it's like
to miss your family. My Dad died of cancer last year....10 months
after I came out here. It was very hard for him & I as you can
imagine. My Mother is going to be here in 9 days (not that I am
counting) I can't wait!!! Your interview will befine though.....don't
worry - Keely

Old Dec 7th 2002, 9:40 pm
Squire

In article , Cathy
writes
    >Thank you for the advise, its very nice to know its not like that.
    >There's me thinking oh my god I don't know everything about him. What
    >if they ask what make is his tooth brush or something. Or does he have
    >a mole in a strange place.

Far be it for me to burst your bubble, but haven't you seen the various
reports saying that the interview may be videotaped? This is unlikely to
prove much of a problem for you Cathy.. but how does your hubby feel
about wearing stage make-up and eyeliner? Are you willing to share or
must he acquire his own? Does he suffer a receding hairline as the
bright lights may cause a reflection needing prolific dabs of talcum
powder.

Try to look on the bright side.. have you considered the royalties?

In jest

--
squire
Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others. (Groucho)

Old Dec 8th 2002, 12:03 am
Banned

Matthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Squire
Far be it for me to burst your bubble, but haven't you seen the various
reports saying that the interview may be videotaped?

In jest
:-).
You are correct that they sometimes videotape or run an audiocassette recorder during the interview. "Most" of the time, I don't see a video camera or tape recording during the interview so I assume no tape is being made, and I don't think the INS (at least here in L.A., San Francisco, Fresno, Sacramento, Santa Ana) have gone to the trouble to install "hidden" cameras (when I used to see video cameras at San Francisco, they were huge old technology cameras that looked like they were manufactured back in the 80's).

But you never know...

When I'm preparing my couples for their AOS interviews, I always warn them not to joke around about committing marriage fraud. I assume they already know this, but I don’t take any chances and specifically warn them anyway (can’t hurt). Quite often, an INS examiner will excuse him or herself for various reasons (typically, to go make copies of the couple's drivers licenses for the file... bring copies for them - they like it when you do) and leave the couple alone in the room. I tell my couples that if they find themselves alone in the room, don't joke around by saying, "Gee, we sure are pulling a fast one on them, aren’t we!". Not a good idea, and the safe approach is to assume there is a tape recording being made. Its like joking around while at an airport about having a bomb in your suitcase... those kind of "jokes" are not funny, can get you in a hell of a lot of trouble, and just shouldn't be done.

Well, I've finished preparing my AOS case for submission at the L.A. office on Monday morning, and I've prepared what I need for another case where the L.A. INS office issued an advanced parole to a different client but got her middle initial wrong (I'm going to have the L.A. office fix their mistake by issuing a new AP document).

Getting out of the office by 5PM on a Saturday! Priceless :-). I think I'll go pick up a Christmas tree. I’ve been collecting “immigration related� ornaments for a number of years now, and I have not seen them for a couple of years (Last year was a pretty bleak Christmas for me, so I did not have a tree or celebrate for that matter, but this year is much better ;-).

M.U.

Last edited by Matthew Udall; Dec 8th 2002 at 12:14 am.