Ouch !!

Old Feb 6th 2005, 2:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

rogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud of
Default Ouch !!

I'm posting this on both the USA and USA Marriage forums (if it lets me) as there seem to be two seperate issues here.
A good place to open ones heart to the world !!!
Firstly a brief summary of the situation.
I'm married to a USC and moved over here 2.5 years ago with my daughter who is now 20.
We are currently waiting to hear from Baltimore for an interview regarding the removal of our conditions.
I have to be a bit pragmatic here.
My daughter lives with her boyfriend and is currently not working. She was up until last week and had benefits with her job.
Her boyfriend is quite a stable guy who has just bought his own house and earns quite good money, but he doesn't have benefits with his job.
Their relationship seems OK.
Here's the 'crunch'
She phoned me last saying she thinks she's pregnant. She's done two of those testing kits and is planning a trip to the docs early this week.
Putting aside my obvious emotions and trying to be logical there seem to be two seperate issues (hence the doudle posting)
1/. Does anyone know the legal implications regarding a conditional permament resident having a baby in the US (at the moment, out of
wedlock) ?
2/. Medical costs, including having a baby here are expensive and they haven't got that much money
I appreciate that even if he had benefits they wouldn't cover his girlfriend.
If the pregnancy is confirmed and they do manage to get benefits would it be considered a 'pre-existing condition' and as such probably not be covered ?

Any sensible thoughts, suggestions or comments would be appreciated, I'm to 'fragile' to read any bullshit.

Thank you
Old Feb 6th 2005, 3:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

LucyMO has a spectacular aura aboutLucyMO has a spectacular aura aboutLucyMO has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Ouch !!

1/. Does anyone know the legal implications regarding a conditional permament resident having a baby in the US (at the moment, out of
wedlock) ?

None whatsoever.
Old Feb 6th 2005, 3:32 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Firstly, even though unplanned I think congratulations to the grandfather-to-be are in order!

Now, as far as your questions go:

1/. Does anyone know the legal implications regarding a conditional permament resident having a baby in the US (at the moment, out of wedlock) ?

I'm not exactly sure what "legal implications" you're referring to, but my answer would have to be, there shouldn't be any. If the baby is born on US soil it is automatically a US citizen, regardless of the citizenship(s) or marital status of its parents'. And having a baby does not alter your daughter's status as a conditional permanent resident -- she'll just be a CPR with a baby.

(If I'm wrong about either of those points I'm sure someone here will correct me!)

2/. Medical costs, including having a baby here are expensive and they haven't got that much money I appreciate that even if he had benefits they wouldn't cover his girlfriend. If the pregnancy is confirmed and they do manage to get benefits would it be considered a 'pre-existing condition' and as such probably not be covered ?

That is a great question to which I have no answer. I guess it just depends on the insurance company. Hopefully he'll be able to get her on his plan as a domestic partner -- I know my company's insurance plan has this option but they have to be living together for at least a year to be eligible for it. So make sure they read the policy backwards and forwards and ask any questions directly to the insurance company (not HR) which are not clear in the policy itself. Health insurance here is a very complex thing, at least to me. I hope they get the coverage they need.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

~ Jenney
Old Feb 6th 2005, 4:30 pm
Cool Member

USA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rogerpenycate
My daughter lives with her boyfriend and is currently not working. She was up until last week and had benefits with her job.

wedlock) ?

2/. Medical costs, including having a baby here are expensive and they haven't got that much money

If the pregnancy is confirmed and they do manage to get benefits would it be considered a 'pre-existing condition' and as such probably not be covered ?
She should contact her previous employer and ask about "COBRA insurance". That is where she can continue her medical coverage for X amount of time (like 18 months or something like that) if she pays the premiums. She needs to do this as soon as possible as she only has a short amount of time (30 days maybe) to say that she wants it.

Many insurance companies wont cover a pregancy for 6 months, so a new policy wouldnt probably help her much anyway... she is best off trying to continue the coverage from her old employer.

I also agree with the previous poster that having a baby shouldnt affect her permanent residence status.

Good Luck!
Marnee
Old Feb 6th 2005, 6:41 pm
Forum Regular

cjcherri is an unknown quantity at this point

I believe reading an article of immigrants are eligiable to receive state (or federal, not sure) benefit/insurance form giving birth to her children regardless parental immigration status. Afterall, the child(ren) will be US citizen. Talk with your local social worker. This happens in California a lot. my wife has helped some of her classroom parents (who may or may not be legal in the US but going through county support) obtained the service.

Check with your social worker or call up your county office and ask them to direct you.
Old Feb 6th 2005, 6:59 pm

AmberNickVN is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cjcherri
I believe reading an article of immigrants are eligiable to receive state (or federal, not sure) benefit/insurance form giving birth to her children regardless parental immigration status. Afterall, the child(ren) will be US citizen. Talk with your local social worker. This happens in California a lot. my wife has helped some of her classroom parents (who may or may not be legal in the US but going through county support) obtained the service.

Check with your social worker or call up your county office and ask them to direct you.

if the case is that she's applicable to the same benefits that every US citizen is applicable for....she should be covered with temporary medicaid for awhile....well that's what i heard anyways, my wife automatically was put on medicaid for pregnant women without her applying.
Old Feb 6th 2005, 9:06 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Roger

Marnee hit it on the head. Daughter is and should immediately contact her employee and sign up for COBRA. God hoping she didn't already sign off on it. If she did it was a super foolish thing to do. If so, she has to immediately try to find private insurance that will cover pregnancy which has not yet been formally confirmed by a doctor. If she cannot she will have other choices, i.e. set up a payment plan NOW with the hospital for her care. The baby will be covered under medicaid. She can do the same with her doctors. Guess Grandpa is going to have to help out financially for a while ;-)

As for the pregnancy and CR-1 removal, should not be an issue.

Originally Posted by rogerpenycate
I'm posting this on both the USA and USA Marriage
forums (if it lets me) as there seem to be two seperate issues here.
A good place to open ones heart to the world !!!
Firstly a brief summary of the situation.
I'm married to a USC and moved over here 2.5 years ago with my daughter who is now 20.
We are currently waiting to hear from Baltimore for an interview regarding the removal of our conditions.
I have to be a bit pragmatic here.
Her boyfriend is quite a stable guy who has just bought his own house and earns quite good money, but he doesn't have benefits with his job.
Their relationship seems OK.
Here's the 'crunch'
She phoned me last saying she thinks she's pregnant. She's done two of those testing kits and is planning a trip to the docs early this week.
Putting aside my obvious emotions and trying to be logical there seem to be two seperate issues (hence the doudle posting)
wedlock) ?

Any sensible thoughts, suggestions or comments would be appreciated, I'm to 'fragile' to read any bullshit.

Thank you
Old Feb 7th 2005, 12:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

rogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud of

Thanks everyone for their help, advice and support.
Some great information (as usual)
I've had a long chat with my daughter and given her all of this information.
As for me being a grandfather, I'm certainly old enough, not sure if I'm ready yet, I've done all that 'baby sitting' and nappy changing !
Thanks everyone.
Roger