Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

OT with trepidation: California Bar & "UPL"

OT with trepidation: California Bar & "UPL"

Old Mar 11th 2006, 4:42 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OT with trepidation: California Bar & "UPL"

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

To join, you have to go through the moderator/owner of the group. And he asks for an introduction.

Well if you say you're a hotshot ass-kicking immigration attorney looking for UPL issues, I would think your chances would be minimal. Try being the demure, transatlantic lovesick Deidre instead and use an anonymous proxy server.
Old Mar 11th 2006, 6:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

bionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Matthew Udall
Good question. Lets see if we can line up the characters. I would think the person boarding the train would be the recipient of the legal advice. The person rendering the legal advice would be the conductor who tried to help this person on the train (especially if they have an official affiliation with the site). Who would be the railroad?

And would damages caused to a recipient be foreseeable?
The reason I posed this question was because I thought it fairly well replicates what we are discussing with regard to newsgroups and "net-arios" and potential claims.

For purposes of discussion, the scene is as follows:
Group of passengers on a platform, one Mrs. Palsgraf; one Mr. Black carrying a parcel covered with a newspaper (parcel contained explosives) and several others. A train employee, the Conductor is on the train. As train pulls away, Mr. Black carrying the parcel attempts to get on the moving train; several passengers on the platform, Mr. Grey and Mr. Gris, boarding the train, push Mr. Black on the train and in doing so he falls, parcel explodes and Mrs. Palsgraf is injured.

In this analogy, if i'm not mistaken, wouldn't this be the scenario, and if so, who, if anyone, would be liable? Is the person rendering unauthorised legal advice the railroad, Messrs. Grey and Gris, or Mr. Black?

Mrs. Palsgraf is the victim that brings charges against the railroad as she is injured because of some perceived or alleged "oversight" on its part.
Are Messrs. Grey and Gris the "net-arios" - they wanted to "help" Mr. Black board the moving train and thought they could do so by pushing him? Unfortunately, they did not foresee that a package he was carrying, if dropped, could cause a chain reaction and ultimately injure either Mr. Black or Mrs. Palsgraf. Naturally, any train employee would advise against anyone boarding a moving train, whether carrying a parcel or not. The act in itself carries a certain risk factor. Mr. Black could injure himself, even if there were no Mrs. Palsgraf in the picture.

Should the railroad conductor have prevented the passengers from assisting Mr. Black on the train, foreseeing that this was risky behaviour? Was it the railroad's negligence not to do so?

Further, if the railroad posts a sign on the platform advising passengers that are carrying anything NOT to board a moving train, have they not covered any potential liability?

How would Mrs. Palsgraf be successful in her claim?
Old Mar 11th 2006, 7:29 pm
Banned

Matthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by J Moreno
No one here is a client of anyone else here. Newsgroups are the corner pub, not an office.
Hi J. I respectfully disagree. If someone asks questions concerning legal matters and someone provides legal advice, the act of rendering legal advice is the PL. Don’t get all caught up in the word “client” as that is traditionally usually used in a licensed attorney client relationship. And I suppose if a net-tario set up shop in a pub, it could happen there too ;-).

By the way, I’ve got a neighbor who wants to open up a law practice. This is his plan.

He’s going to rent some office space and put in a bunch of cubicles and telephone lines his volunteer workers can use to render legal advice. To find workers, he will then go loiter outside of the L.A. CIS building and he’ll approach couples coming out from their spousal interviews. He’ll tell them what he has planned, and since they now know a bit about the process he would like them to come down to his office and volunteer (as a public service) by answering the phones and rendering advice to the callers. Most say no, but there are a few with spare time on their hands that think this sounds like a good thing to do (not to mention helping others which is always a nice thing to do).

He plans on paying the office rent by selling space on the exterior of the building where advertisers can place billboards. That should keep the rent paid and the phone bills paid.

He also advertises the availability of his service in local papers and through other media outlets.

He asked if that would be OK.

The first problem I see is that he’s not an attorney himself, so I’m not sure if he should open up this type of law practice. Plus, the people working for him are not attorneys either, so they are not authorized to engage in that either.

He tells me he’s actually getting his license to practice law next week, and he’ll be opining up this business after he gets his license. OK, but the problem of him facilitating the UPL of his employees is still there so he’s going to have to use his employees for the gathering of information only. When it comes to the rendering of advice, he’ll have to do that himself. And he really should buy and insurance policy to protect his callers, and himself, just in case he commits malpractice along the way.

Yes. For instance if you have your neighbor sew up a small cut.
You are describing a one-time occurrence. I’m like you in that in my mind, I too draw a distinction between someone posting occasionally about what happened in his or her case from one whom systematically and regularly over the span of years answer the specific legal questions of others.

Now if the neighbor set up shop and started providing suturing services on a daily basis for anybody knocking on the door and seeking out his services (since he’s done it so much, he’s gained a reputation for his medical knowledge) then the agency regulating the practice of medicine in the state might have a big problem with it.

Because the hobbyist said "lie like crazy"? When someone tells you to lie, any reasonable person should know that it might come back to haunt you.
Once again the focus is being shifted to the “recipient” of the legal advice. PL is about the rendering of advice. And I don’t think there is any question that people rely on the advice they receive by net-tarios, whether or not it is reasonable for them to do so. In fact, from what I’ve observed I don’t think it reasonable for the average person seeking legal advice “not” to rely on it. After all, they were looking for it and a net-tario provided it.

Last edited by Matthew Udall; Mar 11th 2006 at 8:35 pm.
Old Mar 11th 2006, 7:36 pm
Banned

Matthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mdyoung
I know of him and I know of the Website and normally people (me included) tell people unless something like what you mention is involved they can do everything themselves.

I have filled out or helped fill out everything from the I-129F through the N-400 with no problems. If I can do it just about anyone can do it. People just get spooked about submitted something with the government or are just too lazy to do their homework. I tell people if you can file your own taxes without a problem you surely can do your own K or spouse visa and related paperwork.
People are certainly entitled to do-it-themselves, and I think they should be proud of their accomplishment if they do. And reading text books, form instructions, websites that have flowcharts, that sort of thing is all fine and dandy. I’m not talking about that.

What I’m talking about is “a person” who over time takes upon themselves the task of rendering legal advice to other individuals in regards to their specific legal questions. When someone relies on a net-tario for their legal advice, they are no more of a do-it-yourselfer than someone who goes to a licensed attorney for the same thing.

Y & M are two of the most prolific net-tarios on the other site. No two ways about it (and notice I’m not saying they are “bad” net-tarios). These two should go get a law license and become legitimate since they seem to be addicted to the activity (and there is nothing wrong with wanting to try to help people… I know that feeling well myself).

Last edited by Matthew Udall; Mar 11th 2006 at 8:40 pm.
Old Mar 11th 2006, 8:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

hcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond repute

Y & M are tow of the most prolific net-tarios on the other site. No two ways about it (and notice I’m not saying they are “bad” net-tarios). These two should go get a law license and become legitimate since they seem to be addicted to the activity (and there is nothing wrong with wanting to try to help people… I know that feeling well myself).
Did you have a UPL discussion with Yodrak at some point? Because he very rarely posts there now, and when he does, it's to say "you should consult an attorney".
Old Mar 11th 2006, 8:20 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by JEff
most of
the good information is coming from long-time posters who have gained
some broad experiences and most of the misinformation is coming from
relative newcomers with limited experience.
Each post (legal advice rendered to another in regards to that other person’s specific legal questions/problems) is different, but I suppose I can see the logic in what you are saying.

As Rita herself points out, some of these long time posters have learned through “trial and error” in their prior legal advice rendered.

If the new members are the ones most likely to give inaccurate and dangerous advice, then why are they allowed to do so? Using this logic, only the most seasoned experienced posters should be the ones rendering legal advice. Maybe the posting number (count) helps a newbie determine which person’s advice is more likely to be accurate. Maybe a special status like Moderator helps them make that determination.

But denying new members the opportunity to post occasional what happened in their own case seems contrary to what I often read as to the general purpose of news groups. From what I’ve read, it is to facilitate the sharing of information that people found out through their own ordeals with the CIS and Consulate (and please keep in mind my own personal distinction between the occasional poster and the habitual participant). I don’t read that the purpose is to facilitate the long term rendering of legal advice over the span of years by those whose case is long over and who render legal advice about situations that never came up in their own case. But this is actually what happens, and after a certain point (as Mr. F said, it’s not a sharp line) the PL line is crossed.

That long-time 'hobby' posters have posted incorrect or inapproptiate
information is not in dispute. Let's further agree for the purpose of
this discussion that this constitutes UPL. Certainly UPL has dangers.
So does PL. And so does the non-PL of the ocassional internet poster.
The last line of the paragraph above sounds like you are advocating the elimination of news group participation from the occasional poster. And you are correct, the rendering of legal advice is a high stakes activity and the danger of inaccurate advice is just as real regardless of whom it comes from. That’s probably why the states regulate this activity and require certain requirements be met before someone is authorized to do so.

I replied privately to another news group friend yesterday who asked what could be done to reduce the danger of bad advice received by the recipient. Maybe you can come up with some ideas too. Here are a few of my ideas:

Require all participants to post under their real names and have them register their actual address with the site owners (and it must be verified for accuracy before they can begin posting). Net-tarios hide behind fake identity and as Ray pointed out, IPS address can be faked too. By requiring true identities to be used, that might dissuade posters from encouraging others to lie during the process. Also when inaccurate legal advice is rendered and relied upon to the detriment of the recipient, the injured recipient could get the contact information from the owners and then bring legal proceedings against the person who harmed them (of course, when warranted… if not warranted then they would not win anyway).

Limit the rendering of legal advice to those authorized to do so. By allowing “anybody” to render legal advice, this “is” authorization by the site owners for anybody to engage in this high stakes activity.

How about limiting replies to what actually happened in “their own” case (from the POV of the person posting the reply). After all, this is the information that they will be most familiar with and most likely to be correct.

How about limiting the ability to “reply” to only those who have visited the site for X amount of times (I’m sure the owners could set it up so a counter will tabulate how many times a person logs into the site). They can post a question immediately (not limited), but when it comes to replying, they have to have visited the site a certain amount of time (or perhaps a certain amount of days, weeks go by) before they are enabled to reply to others. Once they hit that specification, then they are more likely to post accurate information. And to prevent the prolific hobbyist situation from happening to the extreme (UPL), perhaps put in a cut off point. Once they make a certain amount of replies, their ability to reply further is disabled.

How about requiring others to always ask follow up questions “before” posting a reply that contains legal advice. That seems to be a big problem in news groups and is often the source of incorrect legal advice rendered.

Do you have any ideas?

Another question I've been meaning to ask for a while now - with regard
to the licensed and qualified people who are insured, who does that
insurance protect? The client who's case has been lost through
inappropriate representation? (Do they get what they were asking for
after all)? Or the practitioner who failed to properly represent that
client? (Speaking here of true misrepresentation, certainly case will
be lost and sometimes deserve to be lost with the best of
representation.)

Regards, JEff
Insurance is there to provide a monetary form of relief to the client in case the attorney screws up. In the situation where the person relied on a hobbyist’s inaccurate legal advice that caused separation from their K-4 child (which resulted in foreseeable monetary damages proximately caused by the incorrect legal advice), if warranted that hobbyist’s insurance carrier might pay out damages to pay for things directly resulting from (but for) this malpractice (costs directly resulting from the hobbyists malpractice). Now, if that hobbyist had insurance, that might help the hobbyist too in that he might not have to pay this out of his own pocket (but he pays for it by paying his insurance premiums over the years anyway).

How about this for another way to reduce the danger of UPL on news groups? The owners take a portion of their advertising revenue and buy an insurance policy to provide this type of relief for damages resulting from those they allow to render legal advice on the site? Seems reasonable to me.

Last edited by Matthew Udall; Mar 11th 2006 at 9:17 pm.
Old Mar 11th 2006, 8:21 pm
Banned

Plus with doctors and lawyers you have no idea if the person knows what they are doing until after the damage has been done. Someone had to graduate in the bottom half of the class.
And this is different from damages resulting from a net-tario..... how?
Old Mar 11th 2006, 8:24 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by hcj1440
Did you have a UPL discussion with Yodrak at some point? Because he very rarely posts there now, and when he does, it's to say "you should consult an attorney".
Not directly, but he might be aware of the issue and the danger it poses. And by the way, I think he's one of the more knowledgeable net-tarios.

If he’s changed his posting style, maybe he (or one of his close friends on this site) can explain why he did this.
Old Mar 11th 2006, 8:41 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Idea's wont' fly because what is stopping people posting via google etc? and there are other visa/expat sites that plug into the newsgroups..not to mention people that want to post in other sections of the website, a mare to have multiple ID's....and getting software to log how many times someone visits the site before posting, that would require custom extention to the site, require people to not delete cookies etc...major undertaking for very little gain....baring in mind this site also plugs into immigration groups for canada, australia, NZ and the rest of the world.

Require all participants to post under their real names and have them register their actual address with the site owners (and it must be verified for accuracy before they can begin posting). Net-tarios hide behind fake identity and as Ray pointed out, IPS address can be faked too. By requiring true identities to be used, that might discourage posters to encourage others to lie during the process. Also when inaccurate legal advice is rendered and relied upon to the detriment of the recipient, the injured recipient could get the contact information from the owners and then bring legal proceedings against the person who harmed them (of course, when warranted… if not warranted then they would not win anyway).

Limit the rendering of legal advice to those authorized to do so. By allowing “anybody” to render legal advice, this “is” authorization by the site owners for anybody to engage in this high stakes activity.

How about limiting replies to what actually happened in “their own” case (from the POV of the person posting the reply). After all, this is the information that they will be most familiar with and more likely to be correct.

How about limiting the ability to “reply” to those who only have visited the site for X amount of times (I’m sure the owners could set it up so a counter will tabulate how many times a person logs into the site). They can post a question immediately (not limited), but when it comes to replying, they have to have visited the site a certain amount of time (or perhaps a certain amount of days, weeks go by) before they are enabled to reply to others. Once they hit that specification, then they are more likely to post accurate information. And to prevent the prolific hobbyist situation from happening to the extreme (UPL), perhaps put in a cut off point. Once they make a certain amount of replies, their ability to reply further is disabled.

How about requiring others to always ask follow up questions “before” posting a reply. That seems to be a big problem in news groups and is often the source of incorrect legal advice rendered.
Old Mar 11th 2006, 8:59 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Bob
Idea's wont' fly because what is stopping people posting via google etc?
I’m talking about what could be done on “this” site to reduce the danger of UPL by hobbyists. And if things were implemented to make any site a safer environment (and I like my insurance policy idea) that would make that site an extremely attractive entity and would set them apart from other similar sites. It would be a model others would follow if they wanted to compete, and would help reduce the danger posed by the hobbyists.

Originally Posted by Bob
and there are other visa/expat sites that plug into the newsgroups..not to mention people that want to post in other sections of the website, a mare to have multiple ID's....and getting software to log how many times someone visits the site before posting, that would require custom extention to the site, require people to not delete cookies etc...major undertaking for very little gain....baring in mind this site also plugs into immigration groups for canada, australia, NZ and the rest of the world.
If they delete cookies and that screws up their “ability to reply counter”, then they go back to day one and can’t reply until they hit the specification. Would be an incentive not to monkey around this way (that is, if they want to reply).

Providing a safer environment for the recipient of the legal advice, IMO, is not something of “very little gain”. This danger is why there are regulations about this activity, and this danger was around long before the internet.

Who cares what goes on in the lounge and TIO or immigration sites dealing with immigration to foreign countries? Let those countries deal with their UPL problems as they see fit (just like we have always done with UPL activity in the U.S.).
Old Mar 11th 2006, 9:13 pm

mdyoung is an unknown quantity at this point

People are certainly entitled to do-it-themselves, and What I’m talking about is “a person” who over time takes upon themselves the task of rendering legal advice to other individuals in regards to their specific legal questions. When someone relies on a net-tario for their legal advice, they are no more of a do-it-yourselfer than someone who goes to a licensed attorney for the same thing.
Anyone that would take the word of one person from an Internet site of a possible legal matter is a fool anyway.

I advise people on Social Security related matters, but I always provide links to the information on the SSA Website so that they can read it themselves. I don't want people to think I'm the final word on everything SSA related. That's just what a person should do with info provided here on immigration matter, e.g verify it from another sourse.
Old Mar 11th 2006, 9:19 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

I’m talking about what could be done on “this” site to reduce the danger of UPL by hobbyists.
Bob's your man! For $100 a year (I'm not expecting much traffic!) and a few peanuts thrown to Bob (who could do with a job), you can have your own site with a portal through to this very UseNet group. I'd suggest you call it "Matt's UPL-Free Immigration Shack".

The you can have the site just the way you like it. In fact, if you don't like BE, it would be quite easy to throw Bob a few more peanuts and get him to block all entries from this site appearing on your nice, new, virginal one.
Old Mar 11th 2006, 9:21 pm

mdyoung is an unknown quantity at this point

And this is different from damages resulting from a net-tario..... how?
I was just pointing out that not every lawyer is Perry Mason and having a lawyer doesn't necessarily make the process a slam dunk.
Old Mar 11th 2006, 9:25 pm
Banned

Anyone that would take the word of one person from an Internet site of a possible legal matter is a fool anyway.
Ah, the classic reply. Let’s blame the person who innocently asks questions on a site that purports to be a resource for immigration advice, received incorrect legal answers to their questions and relied on it to their detriment. This rational is exactly why UPL regulations exist in the first place. I think those seeking legal advice deserve a little better than, “well, you were a dumb **** for asking your question here in the first place”. And if information on sites like this should not be relied on, then why do they exist?

And time has shown that people “do” rely on advice they receive on sites like this. And sometimes, others back up the inaccurate advice so often it’s not just the word of “one person”.
Old Mar 11th 2006, 9:30 pm
Banned

I was just pointing out that not every lawyer is Perry Mason and having a lawyer doesn't necessarily make the process a slam dunk.
True. Same goes for advice from non-attorneys. I think this is obvious, even though there "are" some big differences between the two (an insurance policy is one).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.