options for marrying a usc?

Old Oct 21st 2005, 3:28 pm
Banned

Lupa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default options for marrying a usc?

Hello everybody, I've just joined your forum and have been reading through some of the replies. I'm british and my boyfriend is an american citizen who I met while visiting friends in Texas some time ago. We are totally committed to each other and he has asked me to marry him, and of course I have said yes

I have been going to the U.S back and forth using the waiverless visa scheme, and now am planning to go again with full intentions of getting married in a civil ceremony before my 90 day limit is out. I know its not the smart thing to do and that it isn't recommended but basically we can't live without each other and don't want to have to wait for the processing of a K1 visa . It gets harder each day to be apart. He has a very good job and I have savings so finances aren't a problem.

Has anyone ever adjusted from the visa waiver to getting married? What is the procedure following marriage with regards to filing for a green card and permanent residency status? Lastly do I have any other options ?

Thanks very much,
Lupa
Old Oct 21st 2005, 4:04 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: options for marrying a usc?

Originally Posted by Lupa
Hello everybody, I've just joined your forum and have been reading through some of the replies. I'm british and my boyfriend is an american citizen who I met while visiting friends in Texas some time ago. We are totally committed to each other and he has asked me to marry him, and of course I have said yes

I have been going to the U.S back and forth using the waiverless visa scheme, and now am planning to go again with full intentions of getting married in a civil ceremony before my 90 day limit is out. I know its not the smart thing to do and that it isn't recommended but basically we can't live without each other and don't want to have to wait for the processing of a K1 visa . It gets harder each day to be apart. He has a very good job and I have savings so finances aren't a problem.

Has anyone ever adjusted from the visa waiver to getting married? What is the procedure following marriage with regards to filing for a green card and permanent residency status? Lastly do I have any other options ?

Thanks very much,
Lupa
Hi Lupa,

You won't have any problems marrying on your visit here. The problem is, you can't stay and continue to adjust status. After you marry, and before your 90 days ends, you should return to the UK for your spouse visa processing. That is the legal way of accomplishing what you have in mind. It's illegal to come to the USA on the VWP (or tourist visa) with the intent to remain and adjust status.

Once you marry here in the USA, your husband will file an I-130 (and possibly an I-129F if you're going for a K-3 visa) for you. You will eventually receive a set of paperwork for your spouse visa, and then go to an interview in London. It might mean 6 months apart, but it will all be done the legal way, and you won't have to worry about anything.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Oct 21st 2005, 4:11 pm
THE Member

Seanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud of

Thanks very much,
Lupa

Welcome to the forums, Renee said it all (as you'll come to see, she's good like that!), you are well advised to do this the legal way to prevent any complications in your adjustment of status. Nobdy wants to be apart from their loved ones, especially two people just married.

Your other option though is to go back to the UK without getting married here while on the VWP, file for a K1 (fiance visa) then once issued come back to the US, then get married and file for AOS without having to be apart once married. But that process will also take months like the K3 spousal visa.
Ultimatley a decission that you and your fiance need to make together.
G'luck!

~Sean~
Old Oct 21st 2005, 4:18 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Lupa,

You'll have to realize there will be a period of separation (6 months or so). The question is, would you rather be separated as a married couple, or an engaged couple? Of course you don't *want* to be separated at all, but unfortunately, that's the way immigration works.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Oct 21st 2005, 4:40 pm
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks very much,
Lupa
Old Oct 21st 2005, 5:44 pm
Just Joined

JenniferB has a brilliant futureJenniferB has a brilliant futureJenniferB has a brilliant futureJenniferB has a brilliant futureJenniferB has a brilliant futureJenniferB has a brilliant future

I know its hard being apart ... I found it easier to get a visa to move to the UK then it was to get one for my husband to the US at the time we were dating.

Now that I'm married, having a baby, I'm in the process of getting my husband his US Spousal Visa so we can move to NJ. (we just got DCF here so I'm thrilled!)

Anyway, I just remember those days of being apart... how awful it was. But...we waited and took our time and did everything the legal and proper way. Even if that means paying for so many different Visas.

Trust me, everyone here has good advice. Best to take the longer route and do things the legal way.

Once married, you won't want to be separated.
Old Oct 21st 2005, 6:02 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I know its not the smart thing to do and that it isn't recommended but basically we can't live without each other and don't want to have to wait for the processing of a K1 visa.
Oh please... I am so sick and tired of whiney lovers who are desperate to be together and can't live without each other... it makes me want to puke. Delayed gratification is the hallmark of a mature relationship.

If you enter the US with the intent to stay and adjust status after you get married, you'll be looking over your shoulder for many years to come... waiting for the day that the feds show up on your doorstep with a removal order. And if you think intent isn't an issue, I'll point out that you have already demonstrated that intent. Oh, did I mention that there is no appeal if you enter on a visa waiver and your adjustment is subsequently denied?

Ian
Old Oct 21st 2005, 6:33 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

It's hard being apart, but get over it, we've all done it and you have a lifet time together afterwards.

You risking being denied entrance to POE if they suspect anything, and if you have your wedding gear and friends it will look suspicious....also if for anyreason you AOS and they deny it, you've waived all your rights to appeal the decision.

Chances of getting caught might be small, but do you want to live with the extra stress over what is already a pain in the arse process?
Old Oct 21st 2005, 7:11 pm
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Oh please... I am so sick and tired of whiney lovers who are desperate to be together and can't live without each other... it makes me want to puke. Delayed gratification is the hallmark of a mature relationship.

If you enter the US with the intent to stay and adjust status after you get married, you'll be looking over your shoulder for many years to come... waiting for the day that the feds show up on your doorstep with a removal order. And if you think intent isn't an issue, I'll point out that you have already demonstrated that intent. Oh, did I mention that there is no appeal if you enter on a visa waiver and your adjustment is subsequently denied?

Ian
Cmon Ian, I'm surprised you bothered. The OP states that she has been reading the board, enough to understand the K1 process. Yet blatantly states she is intending to act illegally. Then asks for others who may have done the same (albeit in a roundabout way). Hmmmm?
Old Oct 21st 2005, 7:33 pm
Banned

Matthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
The problem is, you can't stay and continue to adjust status.

Rene
This is the one piece of legal advice I see rendered over and over again (mainly by non-attorneys as non-attorneys make up the majority of people who dispense legal advice to strangers on this group and other similar groups), which is not completely accurate (and no, I'm not going to go into great detail in explaining why as that has been done to death in this site over the years). I think Bob's second paragraph is more accurate (or at least part of it is).

Pardon the expression, but "where" the s*it is most likely to hit the fan is at the POE. But of course, now the OP must factor in the fact that she has posted on the internet for all the world to read (didn't check to see if it went to usenet, but if it did then it will be archived there for years to come) that she truly does have immigrant intent, knows there is a problem with this plan, and intends to use the VWP for an improper purpose.

Wonder if that evidence (her confession freely made and archived on the internet) would be an example of an additional "adverse factor"?
Old Oct 21st 2005, 7:35 pm
Banned

Matthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
The problem is, you can't stay and continue to adjust status.

Rene
One final thought. Blanket statements that would likely make the average reader think it applies to everyone and every case are dangerous to make.
Old Oct 21st 2005, 7:51 pm
Banned

Hi Rita,
Since you quoted my post in your reply, am I correct in thinking you are talking to me?

Not sure what the damned if you do and damned if you don't comment means (maybe you are referring to someone like the OP who needs information but possibly hurts herself by asking), and even less sure what you are referring to with your God and equal partner comment.

Was that a jab at me?

Just as a general comment, if people are going to take it upon themselves to render legal advice to strangers on the net, then perhaps they should give accurate advice. I’m not the only person to ever voice this opinion (and just read a post from someone else saying the exact same thing in the Lottery thread).
Old Oct 21st 2005, 7:52 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

didn't quote you ... you were just in the way

Originally Posted by Matthew Udall
Hi Rita,
Since you quoted my post in your reply, am I correct in thinking you are talking to me?

Not sure what the damned if you do and damned if you don't comment means (maybe you are referring to someone like the OP who needs information but possibly hurts herself by asking), and even less sure what you are referring to with your God and equal partner comment.

Was that a jab at me?

Just as a general comment, if people are going to take it upon themselves to render legal advice to strangers on the net, then perhaps they should give accurate advice. I’m not the only person to ever voice this opinion (and just read a post from someone else saying the exact same thing in the Lottery thread).
Old Oct 21st 2005, 7:57 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Rete
didn't quote you ... you were just in the way
While it is now deleted, I read your reply where you had my post quoted and where your comments appeared. No big deal, but I was wondering what the God and equal partner comment was all about. That's all.
Old Oct 21st 2005, 7:58 pm
THE Member

Seanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Matthew Udall
I concur

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.