OPT vs CPT

Old Feb 21st 2001, 4:18 am
Joe

Hi folks, I'm feeling very confused about OPT (optional practical training) and CPT
(curricular practical training). I started my CPT full time this Januray (01/2001) and
also about to complete my master's course of study either this May or July. My question
is, do these months of full time CPT (from January to May or July) take up the OPT period
which is normally one year? In other words, if I get my EAD this July, will it be
effective only till the end of the year, or till one year after? Anybody who has gone
through this sort of things please help. Thanks a lot!

Joe

Old Feb 21st 2001, 5:27 pm
Ellen

Joe:

CPT is authorized by school, which proves that you are still a registered student. Your
full time working under CPT is a part of your course work (you might have even earned
credit form it). So this period of time will not be subtracted from the total OPT time. So
you still have a whole year.

Ellen

> Hi folks, I'm feeling very confused about OPT (optional practical
training)
> and CPT (curricular practical training). I started my CPT full time this Januray
> (01/2001) and also about to complete my master's course of study either this May or
> July. My question is, do these months of full time CPT (from January to May or July)
> take up the OPT period which is normally one year? In other words, if I get my EAD this
> July, will it be effective only till the end of the year, or till one year after?
> Anybody who has gone through this sort of things please help. Thanks a lot!
>
> Joe