OPT

Old Apr 25th 2002, 10:30 am
Dubliner

Default OPT

Hello, I have a question regarding the practical training. I am about to finish up
my PhD(I will graduate in the mid of June.) and have applied for the working
permit. I am hoping to visit my country and spend some time before I start working
in July. My question is if it's no problem to enter the US after my commencement
but before I work.

Thanks in advance. Ryan

Old Apr 29th 2002, 5:30 pm
Sylvia Ottemoel

Default Re: OPT

Dubliner wrote:

> I have a question regarding the practical training. I am about to finish up my
    > PhD(I will graduate in the mid of June.) and have applied for the working permit.
    > I am hoping to visit my country and spend some time before I start working in
    > July. My question is if it's no problem to enter the US after my commencement but
    > before I work.

This is risky. You should have a good talk with your international student adviser
before deciding to go.

It's actually less risky to travel outside the U.S. and return before you graduate.
Take a letter from your adviser stating that you are expected to return to do this or
that to complete your degree.

Alternatively, wait until you have your EAD and are employed, and then carry a letter
from your employer saying that you are expected to come back to your work duties.