Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Opera singer wanting to move to California

Opera singer wanting to move to California

Old Sep 2nd 2010, 4:04 pm
Just Joined

Angelina1976 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Opera singer wanting to move to California

Hi,

This is my first post here. I am an opera singer from the UK and five years ago I met a Californian over the internet. She is not a romantic partner but the closest friend I have, and I have been to visit her six times for extended periods. In that time I have made other social and operatic connections in her area and have ascertained that the chances for me to carry out my art would be greater there than in Europe, since I already have the connections and am very highly regarded by them. In particular, I have a singing teacher/manager in California who is very keen to recommend me and send me out auditioning.

So far I have been out to California on the VWP, and while I have usually been subjected to the extra interrogation, I have never been turned away nor have I overstayed the period.

My "second string" is that I translate from German and proof-read, and I have supported myself on my 3-month VWP stays by doing work over the internet that of course gets paid into my British account. I have never mentioned this to TSA border people because I wasn't sure if that is seen as negative - so my first question is, is it seen is acceptable to work remotely while in the US? I'm not taking anyone's job away from them that way.

So far I have been thinking of two possible routes of getting a visa to allow me to stay longer: first in my translation work (German), and second in my singing work. I could stay with my friend and she would be willing to help with hiring an immigration lawyer if that is what we need. At the moment I have been spending a couple of months at a time in California, followed by several months in Europe, but I want to build up a life for myself and not be wasting time travelling between countries and having temporary jobs until I can return to the US.

I would appreciate any comments!

Thank you for reading.

Angelina
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 4:09 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Opera singer wanting to move to California

Originally Posted by Angelina1976
My "second string" is that I translate from German and proof-read, and I have supported myself on my 3-month VWP stays by doing work over the internet that of course gets paid into my British account. I have never mentioned this to TSA border people because I wasn't sure if that is seen as negative - so my first question is, is it seen is acceptable to work remotely while in the US?
No. No work is allowed while you are physically allowed in the USA, regardless of where the payment goes.

So far I have been thinking of two possible routes of getting a visa to allow me to stay longer: first in my translation work (German), and second in my singing work.
I don't think your translation services would lead to any kind of work visa, unless you are doing some other kind of work which would lead to an H1B and your language ability is a plus to the employer.

For your singing route, look into an O visa.

Rene
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 4:19 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a feeling that someone qualified for an O Visa is not going to be doing translating to get by.

Your Operatic Agent might have more ideas.
Old Sep 3rd 2010, 3:21 am
US immigration lawyer.

JCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond repute

I've actually represented TWO opera singers in my time. (No Lady Gagas, no Spice Girls, no Julio Iglesias Jrs, but opera singers TWO. How do they find me?)

One of them has a significant track record, with significant experience throughout Europe -- not just his native country -- with a number of write ups, significant roles with "important" opera companies. That O visa and later the green card were easy.

Another singer, a mezzo, has had more difficulty. Her experience is less deep, with notably fewer write-ups, and with less prestigious companies. She is still trying to get enough experience in Europe to try for an O-1 in the USA.

A lot is going to depend on the depth and breadth of your experience, the write-ups you've had, and the companies with which you've performed or toured. And last but not least, you'll need an offer from a producer or a company to sing in the USA.

Best of luck to you.

--J Craig Fong
Los Angeles, CA
Old Sep 4th 2010, 12:38 am
Just Joined

pianoman is an unknown quantity at this point

Without highjacking the OPs thread if i may i would like to comment on your response JCF. I myself am a cabaret singer in the Canary Islands and also plan some time on going to the US to gain work as a singer. I'm not talking Michael Buble or Frank Sinatra here, I'm simply a covers act that does two 45min gigs a night in hotels and bars. However it seems that in order to gain the 0-1 VISA the individual must possess skills that are extraordinary within the field of sciences, arts, education, business, athletics, or within the motion picture or television industry.

Examples of proof of extraordinary abilities can be contracts, awards, nominations, published material or similar documentation reflecting the nature of the individual’s achievement. Maybe it's just the way it's presented but to me that all sounds pretty heavy.. The most i could conjure up from my work as being a cabaret singer would be to present myself on disc as a showcase, also provide evidence of past contracts and pay-slips from my agent. I've gained popularity as a singer but thats only on the Island where I've always performed. Given my work history what would you suggest my chances are on filling for the 0-1 VISA ?

Last edited by pianoman; Sep 4th 2010 at 12:43 am.
Old Sep 4th 2010, 12:47 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Pretty small, to be brutally honest.

Probably best to work on getting recognition in the Euro area first.
Old Sep 4th 2010, 2:00 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Work in the US, even if payment was aboard without authorisation was rather daft and could lead to problems down the line.

For that alone, you should contact a lawyer experienced in the O1 visa.

As an aside, what's the deal with P visa? Some sort of reciprocal group act isn't it? So not likely to apply here?

To the other poster, definitely get more experience across Europe, the island alone isn't going to be nearly enough to get decent reviews etc.
Old Sep 4th 2010, 5:46 pm
Account Closed

goldenstate31 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by pianoman
Without highjacking the OPs thread if i may i would like to comment on your response JCF. I myself am a cabaret singer in the Canary Islands and also plan some time on going to the US to gain work as a singer. I'm not talking Michael Buble or Frank Sinatra here, I'm simply a covers act that does two 45min gigs a night in hotels and bars. However it seems that in order to gain the 0-1 VISA the individual must possess skills that are extraordinary within the field of sciences, arts, education, business, athletics, or within the motion picture or television industry.

Examples of proof of extraordinary abilities can be contracts, awards, nominations, published material or similar documentation reflecting the nature of the individual’s achievement. Maybe it's just the way it's presented but to me that all sounds pretty heavy.. The most i could conjure up from my work as being a cabaret singer would be to present myself on disc as a showcase, also provide evidence of past contracts and pay-slips from my agent. I've gained popularity as a singer but thats only on the Island where I've always performed. Given my work history what would you suggest my chances are on filling for the 0-1 VISA ?
sorry, dont want to be doom and gloom, but i dont think it is enough to qualify for an O-1. I have national diploma in performing arts, (Dance) and that never was or never will be enough for me to qualify for an O-1 visa. The documentation that USCIS request is just that, high paid salary etc etc.
Old Sep 4th 2010, 6:59 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by goldenstate31
sorry, dont want to be doom and gloom, but i dont think it is enough to qualify for an O-1. I have national diploma in performing arts, (Dance) and that never was or never will be enough for me to qualify for an O-1 visa. The documentation that USCIS request is just that, high paid salary etc etc.
Aye, I know a place that tried to get a 3D artist/animator over on a O1, had 12 years experience and credits down the length of your arm for games as well as tv/movies for Lionhead, Framestore and Weta and he still got denied
Old Sep 5th 2010, 2:27 am
US immigration lawyer.

JCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pianoman
Piano:
The "contracts, awards, nominations," etc. and all the other proof of acclaim depends in great degree -- as does the success of your petition -- on the skill with which it's presented. Oh sure, the easy cases are the ones where the applicant has won a Grammy or a BAFTA. ANYone can present and succeed with one of those. A lot depends on how the "contracts, awards, nominations" etc are presented, how you "spin" them when you submit them to USCIS.

Let's say you got a great write up in a magazine that no one has heard of, but with a little research, you and your attorney demonstrate that ANY one who is ANYone in the jazz world gets written up in this magazine. You need to make sure that USCIS knows this. Stuff like that.

What you say about your accomplishments sounds very modest. It may or may not be that you qualify as an O-1, but *I* would not close the door on you until I -- or actually my law partner, who focuses on O-1 visas -- have had a chance to evaluate your c.v. and all your accomplishments.

True: not everyone is O-1 material -- and you might not be -- but you should have someone who knows what s/he's going look at you before shooting down your possibilities.

-- J Craig Fong