Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Once green card approved, how long do we have to emigrate?

Once green card approved, how long do we have to emigrate?

Old Jan 27th 2008, 9:07 am
Just Joined

Hoolio is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Once green card approved, how long do we have to emigrate?

I'm a US citizen and my husband is English. We currently live in the UK but are planning to move back to the US in the next couple of years. We would be applying for a Green Card for my husband via the USCIS London Sub-Office at the US Embassy.

The one piece of information I cannot find, though, is the following: Once the green card and relevant visa are approved, how long do we actually have to travel to the States before it is invalidated?
Old Jan 27th 2008, 9:43 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Once green card approved, how long do we have to emigrate?

Originally Posted by Hoolio
I'm a US citizen and my husband is English. We currently live in the UK but are planning to move back to the US in the next couple of years. We would be applying for a Green Card for my husband via the USCIS London Sub-Office at the US Embassy.

The one piece of information I cannot find, though, is the following: Once the green card and relevant visa are approved, how long do we actually have to travel to the States before it is invalidated?
Hi:

An immigrant visa is good for six months.

On the pedantic side -- "green card" is a common usage term for "lawful permanent residence" [LPR] status. What you are doing is that YOU are filing an I-130 with the DHS office to accord your husband "immediate relative" classification. Once that is approved, he will then apply to the consular section [a Department of State function] for an "immigrant visa." Once he lands in the US with the "immigrant visa" he then applies for admission as an LPR. Upon admission, that is when he has the "green card."

I'm sure someone else will give you the link -- there was another recent string by a couple like you who is not in such a hurry to actually come to the US -- I noted that once the Consular Section processing is started, an applicant has UP TO A YEAR to respond to each stage of the application process.

The link in question was posted in this forum but was moved to the marriage based forum -- which may happen to this inquiry also.

Last edited by Folinskyinla; Jan 27th 2008 at 9:51 am.
Old Jan 27th 2008, 9:43 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

He applies for an immigrant visa at the Embassy, the green card is produced after entering the U.S. as an immigrant.

Typically, immigrant visas are valid for 6 months. After entering as an immigrant, he basically needs to live in the U.S. with any absences being temporary, until he becomes an American citizen.

You should consider becoming British by naturalisation once you are eligible, if you're not British already.
Old Jan 27th 2008, 10:30 am
Just Joined

Hoolio is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks to both of you for such a prompt reply - that's very helpful.

Interesting about the time allowed for replying to the consular section. If anyone has the link to that previous thread I'd be grateful.
Old Jan 27th 2008, 12:25 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks to both of you for such a prompt reply - that's very helpful.

Interesting about the time allowed for replying to the consular section. If anyone has the link to that previous thread I'd be grateful.
Here's the link to the other thread on this topic: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=509228

I'm going to also move this thread to the Marriage-Based forum.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Jan 27th 2008, 12:47 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Once the green card and relevant visa are approved, how long do we actually have to travel to the States before it is invalidated?
Once the visa is approved, he has 6 months in which to use it. Once he enters the US using the visa, he will receive an I-551 stamp in his passport. That stamp is the equivalent of a green card - and the actual card should arrive in the mail within a few weeks (as will a SSN if you check the appropriate box on the application). The stamp is proof of his status as a US permanent resident... and he will be able to work immediately.

Ian
Old Jan 27th 2008, 3:35 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

The two links in my signature are the ones you need regarding consular petitioning (yours, as you note (! yay) will actually go to the USCIS Field Office in London, same difference for your purpose).

4-6 months total processing time, then 6 months after visa issue to move to the US.
Old Jan 27th 2008, 3:42 pm
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
The two links in my signature are the ones you need regarding consular petitioning (yours, as you note (! yay) will actually go to the USCIS Field Office in London, same difference for your purpose).

4-6 months total processing time, then 6 months after visa issue to move to the US.
You can under certain circumstances apply for an extension to the six months but they must be very good reasons.
Old Jan 27th 2008, 5:34 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Thydney
You can under certain circumstances apply for an extension to the six months but they must be very good reasons.
Also, the extension must be within the same government Fiscal year -- which starts October 1st.