Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Is it OK to apply for a J1 visa waiver and green card at the same time?

Is it OK to apply for a J1 visa waiver and green card at the same time?

Old May 27th 2009, 1:43 am
Just Joined

jeanlee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Is it OK to apply for a J1 visa waiver and green card at the same time?

I am married to an American and have just applied for a J1 visa waiver (no objection). Should I apply for my green card now or wait for the waiver to be approved?

Thanks.
Old May 27th 2009, 1:46 am
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it OK to apply for a J1 visa waiver and green card at the same time?

You have the 2 year HRR?

EDIT: A glance at your other posts show you are. As far as I know, marriage to a USC doesn't get you off the hook for the 2 year HRR... so fingers crossed on that waiver.

Happy to be corrected however.
Old May 27th 2009, 2:23 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it OK to apply for a J1 visa waiver and green card at the same time?

Originally Posted by jeanlee
Should I apply for my green card now or wait for the waiver to be approved?
You are *not* allowed to adjust your status as long as the 2-year HRR is hanging over your head. You *must* have the waiver before you can do anything. If you do *not* get the waiver, you must leave the US. Being married to a USC does *not* help you at all.

Okay... I think that's pretty clear.

Ian
Old May 27th 2009, 2:26 am
Just Joined

My government has agreed to issue a no objection letter, so the waiver should be pretty much automatic (just takes time).

What I am trying to find out is if I should apply for green card now or wait after the waiver comes through?
Old May 27th 2009, 3:01 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

My government has agreed to issue a no objection letter, so the waiver should be pretty much automatic (just takes time).

What I am trying to find out is if I should apply for green card now or wait after the waiver comes through?
After the waiver comes through. At the moment, right this minute, you do not have a way of adjusting status. You need to wait until you have the waiver in writing so you can then file AOS.

Rene
Old May 27th 2009, 3:07 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi:

Out of idle curiosity, where did you hear that? Or do you have a good lawyer? My J-1 maven is pretty good and I think he would be successful, but otherwise I'm not so sure.

Bottom line -- there is nothing that is "pretty much automatic" in this biz.
Old May 27th 2009, 1:28 pm
Just Joined

Two different immigration attorneys told us if you have a no objection letter they always grant the waiver.
Old May 27th 2009, 1:55 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Two different immigration attorneys told us if you have a no objection letter they always grant the waiver.
That's fine. Then you have no worries. Just wait until you get the waiver in hand, then file your AOS.

Rene
Old May 27th 2009, 2:51 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

You are free to believe whatever information you want... and you are free to act on whatever information you believe.

Ian