Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Oh My God….my Pro Se Lawsuit Has Been Dismissed

Oh My God….my Pro Se Lawsuit Has Been Dismissed

Old Jan 12th 2006, 1:12 am
Just Joined

Publicus has a brilliant futurePublicus has a brilliant futurePublicus has a brilliant futurePublicus has a brilliant futurePublicus has a brilliant futurePublicus has a brilliant futurePublicus has a brilliant future
Default Oh My God….my Pro Se Lawsuit Has Been Dismissed

The whole thread can be found here:
http://boards.immigrationportal.com/...=200956&page=1

OH MY GOD….MY LAWSUIT HAS BEEN DISMISSED

Finally, FINALLY, PUBLICUS MARCUS AURELIUS IS A CITIZEN OF THESE UNITED STATES. HAHAHAHAHAHA…GUYS I CANNOT BELIEVE IT. I MADE IT. YES…YES…YES.
As a member of this forum I can say to you: Victory is sweet, and as a United States Citizen, I can declare: USCIS IS DEFEATED, THE WAR IS OVER.

Fortune Favors the Bold

From the days of Alexander the Great, till the days of PUBLICUS , this saying has proven itself to be true over and over again. Everyone knows my story. Everyone knows that I’ve been waiting for over three years for my case to be adjudicated. My naturalization application have been lost twice, my interview was cancelled twice, and my life was put on hold. Everyone I knew in real life told me to wait. Everyone told me it was a lost cause, that there was nothing I could do. I was hopeless and depressed. But something inside me refused to give up. I refused to let go.

When I found out about the 120-days rule, I knew it was my salvation. CIS conducted my interview in Feb 2005. I was ready to sue them in June 2005 but some personal issues caused me to move. As soon as I settled, I set sight on the lawsuit and I did it. Everyone I talked to advised me to get a lawyer. But I refused, I decided to follow my inner-voice which told me to stay away from the band of chicken and fight for my rights on my own. I read some lawsuits, educated myself, and decided I can do this. Therefore I filled by myself. I was by the way, the FIRST member of this forum to represent himself in court. I knew many were watching my case, trying to learn as much as possible, and see what would the outcome be. GUYS IT IS WORTH IT. MY LAWSUIT TOOK LESS THAN THREE MONTHS. How long do you think I would have waited if I did not sue?

THE BUSIEST FRIDAY IN MY LIFE

I have spoken with some members on Saturday, and I feel terribly sorry for not telling them about my Oath Ceremony on Monday. But please know that when you had two interviews cancelled, and had your file being lost twice, you tend not to believe in Miracles. Everything happened so fast. It started with a phone call from the Assistant US attorney informing me that the second name check of my new name has been completed and that USCIS will schedule me an oath ceremony as soon as possible. Minutes later the US attorney informs me that the lawsuit must be dismissed for USCIS to adjudicate the case. Without the dismissal, nothing can be done since the Jurisdiction belongs to the court. I wasn’t sure about just dismissing the case since my level of trust in CIS was weak, so I asked the US attorney to add a clause to the language of the dismissal stipulation to protect myself: “In Case Plaintiff is not naturalized by January 31, 2006, the case will revert back to the Court who will then have jurisdiction over the matter.” I signed the stipulation, and my case and hard work were dismissed in a matter of minutes. (I felt a little bit sad about that) Later, I received a phone call form a CIS officer who informed me that they are going to fax me the Oath letter, scheduled for January 9, 2006. I am in disbelief. I give her the number, and 10 minutes later I received the fax. I am about to die of happiness. I wasn’t thinking straight. I was ecstatic, happy, wanted to cry, fly, I was feeling every happy human emotion in one moment. It is important to notice that the CIS officer told me before she hang up: “Drive safely!” I almost cried. CIS telling me to drive safely. This doesn’t happen everyday. She sounded like mom.

THE OATH CEREMONY

The Oath was on Monday @ 2PM. I took two days off. I decided to drive up there on Sunday afternoon. The Ceremony was 5 hours away from where I live. I spent the night in a Hotel, two blocks away from the convention center where the ceremony is being held. Needless to say that I spent the night doing my reconnaissance of the building. I knew where I had to be in the next day.
I couldn’t sleep that night. I swear I woke up every 30 minutes. I went to bed at 3 AM and woke up at 7AM. I had breakfast, and drove around the city for awhile. I also went to a Fine Cigar store, and bought me a Robusto Bolivar Churchill Cigar. I called it, my victory Cigar. I DEFEATED CIS AND ITS ARMADA. I am this forum’s Simon Bolivar. At NOON SHARP, I was back in the Hotel, where I took a shower and prepared for my oath. I wore my best clothes: A dark navy suit, with a powerful red tie, a white shirt, with silver French cufflinks and black shoes. A white handkerchief in the vest’s pocket completed the picture. I was ready for the day of days. I went there at 1:15 pm, and stood in line for almost an hour. The door opened and I got ready to face another CIS challenge. My last challenge as an Alien. My last encounter with CIS as an immigrant.

THE FINAL CHALLENGE

At 2:10 pm, I was at the door. A CIS officer checked my oath letter and noticed the answer to question four: “Have you been arrested, charged, indicted, convicted, fined or imprisoned for breaking or violating any law or ordinance, including traffic violations?” She asked me if I brought documentation regarding this point. I told her: Yes. When I went to my line, an officer handling the line next to mine refused a person in front of me. At that moment, a solemn and grave spirit hanged around me. I knew at the time that the journey was not over yet. My smile disappeared, and I became extremely focused. While waiting in line, I studied everyone’s encounter with the officers. When I got to my officer, she asked me about number 4. Her first question was: When was your interview. I replied, Feb 2005. She said what happened here: I said I had two tickets, one was dismissed and one was paid. The next thing she did, caused me to really panic.
Old Jan 12th 2006, 1:14 am
Just Joined

Publicus has a brilliant futurePublicus has a brilliant futurePublicus has a brilliant futurePublicus has a brilliant futurePublicus has a brilliant futurePublicus has a brilliant futurePublicus has a brilliant future
Default Re: Oh My God….my Pro Se Lawsuit Has Been Dismissed

THE LAST HOURS

My last hours as a permanent resident, were mixed with emotions. On one hand I was very happy to finally reach this point, but on the other hand there was a strange feeling about having to give up my Green Card and current status for a new and better one. My final interaction with CIS officer added another emotion: that of Paranoia.

When I answered the Officer that I have received two tickets, she gave me back my Green Card, and reached below her to pick up another form. When new forms get involved, I get paranoid. While she was writing on the form, my head was running at the speed of light thinking about different outcomes, and what I can do. Finally I couldn’t hold it and I said: “IS THERE A PROBLEM OFFICER?” in a very relaxed manner she replied: “No, just a supervisor have to approve this now.” So I told myself: This is just great…I don’t believe this. People behind me are being seated, and I, I have to talk to a supervisor, what an Omen. I went to line 10 to see the supervisor who was looking angry. He was already dealing with two people and making phone calls to check their cases up. He asked them to move to the side, and asked me to approach him. I came to him with the widest smile I ever put on my face. My face muscles still hurt from that smile. I greeted him asking: How are you Sir? He replied: FINE! What is the problem here? I explain the issue, and every time I said something he said: “YOU WERE DRIVING WITHOUT A SEATBELT?” YOU DID THIS, YOU DID THAT…I told him it was all taken care of, here are the court orders. He made it feel like I was in trial. Finally, he just stopped talking and kept reading the paper for like two minutes. Just imagine how I felt during those two minutes. It was like being in front of some Middle-Ages King who will say: Cut this guy’s head, OR let him live.

FINALLY, FINALLY, he said: Can I keep these copies…I said: **** YEAH MAN. Well these Were not really my exact words, but you get the point. I said: “Yes.” He said, ok, just go back to your officer and she will take care of you. I went back dragging my feet. I was so exhausted at that point. Now did the officer quickly process the form? Of course NOT. CIS made a decision a long time ago, they said we will make poor Publicus pay heavily for his citizenship before we are going to give it to him. When I went back to the original officer, she couldn’t understand what the supervisor did. It took her another minute to understand what he really did. And FINALLY she took away my Green Card.

THE BIG MOMENT

The Judge came to the convention center at 3 PM. Then the Big room changed to a Courtroom, and we all stood to recite the Pledge of Allegiance to the Flag of the United States. Thereafter a lady recited the Star Spangled Banner, and in the end the Judge asked a representative of the government to make their motion. The agent told the Judge: Your Honor the government processed 499 applications and besides the 26 absent people and the few who had to be continued, we move the Court to administer the Oath of allegiance. The Judge Granted the motion and ask us to stand, raise our right hands and say the Pledge of Allegiance. The Judge’s voice was solemn and powerful. And we became U.S. Citizens. The Judge after that gave a beautiful speech about Citizenship and the Great prosperous future of the United States, then left. The whole process was extremely formal.

LAST WORDS

In the end, we had to go back to our lines to give them back the oath letter and receive the Naturalization Certificate. I was still worried as I wanted to make sure there were NO MISTAKES made about my name and personal info. And indeed, it was perfect. I received my Certificate, signed it and can now declare that my Journey toward U.S. Citizenship is officially over. In the evening I celebrated by smoking a cigar and drinking a nice cold Corona beer (heavy on the lime).

I spent the whole day and night with my Certificate. It did not leave my sight. In the morning, I filed for a United States Passport via expedited processing, two ways overnight.

My Journey took some 1225 days (over three years and three months). It was an amazing one. The secret to my success were two things: (1) I never doubted the fact that I would win, and (2) I always considered myself an American. With or without a Citizenship, it was my thinking as a Citizen that got me through this ordeal. My advice to everyone out there is: Have a passion and pursue it with all your heart. If your passion to become a U.S. Citizen is strong, then keep it alive. NEVER GIVE UP. Try many things. Since my interview in February 2005, I tried one thing everyday. Sometimes I just call the 800 number. But at least I do something. More importantly, don’t listen to the people who put you down and make you just wait. The system works. It may be slow but it works. I have well-documented my journey on this forum. I am indeed the proof of how successful a Pro Se applicant can be. You guys can do this. If you are sitting at home waiting for an oath letter, or for your name check to be cleared, then you should get up and take action. The feeling of victory is so sweet. There is nothing like it.

DEDICATION

There are some people that I’d like to thank. I dedicate this victory to some abstract people not directly associated with our forum, in this I nominate Aurora, and Lamine Zeroual whom I learned a lot from. The Assistant United States Attorney, who was a very professional woman. The Founding Fathers, whose legacy and genius creation of the system of checks and balances lives on, The American people who recognized the greatness of this creation and knew how to protect it, the District Court who allowed me to bring suit, its employees, who answered many of my questions, the U.S. Senate who allowed a provision such as 8 USC 1447 (b) to exist.
Those who are still waiting on their citizenship, I wish you the best.

Good luck guys, your day will come: LOOK AT ME. I MADE IT…I MADE IT…I MADE IT.

YES, it is a great feeling. The Best in the World.

http://boards.immigrationportal.com/...=200956&page=1
Old Jan 12th 2006, 1:54 am
BE Enthusiast

bionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to behold
Smile Re: Oh My God….my Pro Se Lawsuit Has Been Dismissed

Originally Posted by Publicus
I MADE IT…I MADE IT…I MADE IT.
Re Publicus:
A posse ad esse! Amat victoria curam et audaces fortuna iuvat. Orta recens quam pura nites.

Plaudite!
Old Jan 12th 2006, 2:03 pm
strangely floppy..

CarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bionomique
Re Publicus:
A posse ad esse! Amat victoria curam et audaces fortuna iuvat. Orta recens quam pura nites.

Plaudite!
Oui, et aussi.. le singe est dans l'arbre.
Old Jan 12th 2006, 4:51 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by CarlM
Oui, et aussi.. le singe est dans l'arbre.
Qu'est-ce qu'il voulait dire cet individuel la?
Old Jan 12th 2006, 5:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

bionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to behold

Qu'est-ce qu'il voulait dire cet individuel la?
Un de ceux-ci ? Je n'entend pas de mal; ne pas voir que le mal; ou ne parle pas de mal.
Old Jan 12th 2006, 6:15 pm
Just Joined

Un de ceux-ci ? Je n'entend pas de mal; ne pas voir que le mal; ou ne parle pas de mal.
OK.

I kind of understood the word: Plaudite. It is applause, isn't it?

Thanks man. I love Italian. When I get my passport, I can now go to Italy.
Old Jan 12th 2006, 6:32 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

OK.

Well how about that?!
Congratulations, Publicus, on your achievement and your new status as an American Citizen!

PS: don't forget to register to vote! And thanks for the great read!
Old Jan 12th 2006, 8:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

OK.

Actually, what it said (and I'm afraid my familiarity with latin is limited to binomial nomenclature) was..

Re Publicus: In the Matter of Publicus
A posse ad esse! From possibility to reality!
Amat victoria curam et audaces fortuna iuvat. Victory favours those who prepare and fortune favours the bold
Orta recens quam pura nites Newly risen how bright you shine.
Plaudite! Applause

Hmm. Publicus, do you have access to a time machine? They stopped speaking Latin in Italy around the 9th Century (except for liturgical uses!)
Old Jan 12th 2006, 8:56 pm
Just Joined

Actually, what it said (and I'm afraid my familiarity with latin is limited to binomial nomenclature) was..

Re Publicus: In the Matter of Publicus
A posse ad esse! From possibility to reality!
Amat victoria curam et audaces fortuna iuvat. Victory favours those who prepare and fortune favours the bold
Orta recens quam pura nites Newly risen how bright you shine.
Plaudite! Applause

Hmm. Publicus, do you have access to a time machine? They stopped speaking Latin in Italy around the 9th Century (except for liturgical uses!)
I still love those two countries: Italy and Greece.
Old Jan 12th 2006, 8:58 pm
Just Joined

I wish I learned Latin in school. As of now, I speak four languages, one of which is Semetic. I can't afford learning the mother of all languages.