Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Oh god , a BIG error on my arrest report

Oh god , a BIG error on my arrest report

Old Oct 31st 2009, 5:44 am
BE Forum Addict

adjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Oh god , a BIG error on my arrest report

Hi guys
When I thought I am through with everything , well I just discovered a huge error on my arrest report which may cause a big problem when filing N-400.
In the section of country of citizenship the dumb cop put down USA!! I remember very clearly showing him my GC and told him the code for my country is CZE , so why in the hell he put USA?? This can be a big problem. It needs to be corrected. Do you guys have any idea where I need to go get it fixed? The Police Department or The Courthouse? Anyone? Thank you very much.
Old Oct 31st 2009, 10:23 am
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Oh god , a BIG error on my arrest report

Originally Posted by milan79
Hi guys
When I thought I am through with everything , well I just discovered a huge error on my arrest report which may cause a big problem when filing N-400.
In the section of country of citizenship the dumb cop put down USA!! I remember very clearly showing him my GC and told him the code for my country is CZE , so why in the hell he put USA?? This can be a big problem. It needs to be corrected. Do you guys have any idea where I need to go get it fixed? The Police Department or The Courthouse? Anyone? Thank you very much.
What year did the arrest happen? If it was before September 30, 1996 then it wouldn't matter in this case at all. That's when tough rules against false claim were implemented. It was not retroactive. It's not immigration paperwork so it wouldn't be immigration fraud/misrep either.

I don't see this as being a major problem. It's not your fault if the information was entered wrong. I'm sure you're not the first person this has happened to. Explain that you showed the resident card and told them you were from CZE.
Old Oct 31st 2009, 1:30 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

It happened a month or two ago and yes, you need to get it corrected. You don't want the USCIS to think you said you were a US citizen. Talk to your attorney and ask where to go to get it corrected or a letter of amendment if there is such a thing.

Last edited by Rete; Oct 31st 2009 at 2:59 pm.
Old Oct 31st 2009, 2:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

adjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you Rete and yes it happened 1 month ago.
Old Oct 31st 2009, 10:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

lostlove has a reputation beyond reputelostlove has a reputation beyond reputelostlove has a reputation beyond reputelostlove has a reputation beyond reputelostlove has a reputation beyond reputelostlove has a reputation beyond reputelostlove has a reputation beyond reputelostlove has a reputation beyond reputelostlove has a reputation beyond reputelostlove has a reputation beyond reputelostlove has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you Rete and yes it happened 1 month ago.
Yes Milan that's a prudent suggestion given by Rete. It doesn't take long for an IO to smell the rat. They love to and are trained to do it. From a dumb cop to a dumb IO, from a dollop of distress to a whole dish of disaster!
Old Oct 31st 2009, 10:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hey lostlove
You cracked me up. But seriously this is crazy . I even showed the police my green card cause that ididot didn't know how to spell Czech Republic. So I told him the code for the country where I was born is CZE. UGH.. I really hope they are going to at least write me a letter. I am going there Monday.
Old Nov 1st 2009, 1:04 am
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

Hey lostlove
You cracked me up. But seriously this is crazy . I even showed the police my green card cause that ididot didn't know how to spell Czech Republic. So I told him the code for the country where I was born is CZE. UGH.. I really hope they are going to at least write me a letter. I am going there Monday.
I've asked some people in the know, and the place of birth information they record at the time of arrest is fraught with errors. Also, they use 2 digit country codes, not 3 digit country codes.

I suspect that it will be impossible to find someone to correct this. I also doubt it will be a problem since it's so common.

Last edited by crg; Nov 1st 2009 at 1:06 am.
Old Nov 1st 2009, 1:31 am
BE Enthusiast

lostlove has a reputation beyond reputelostlove has a reputation beyond reputelostlove has a reputation beyond reputelostlove has a reputation beyond reputelostlove has a reputation beyond reputelostlove has a reputation beyond reputelostlove has a reputation beyond reputelostlove has a reputation beyond reputelostlove has a reputation beyond reputelostlove has a reputation beyond reputelostlove has a reputation beyond repute

Hey lostlove
I hear you bud..I bet he will beleive that you can see Czech Republic from Miami..if you tell him. LOL
Old Nov 1st 2009, 1:54 am
BE Forum Addict

crg, I am thinking the same thing that correcting an arrest report is almost impossible . But what I really need is the police department to write at least a letter explaining the error, do you think they might have to do that?
Old Nov 1st 2009, 2:09 am
crg
American Expat

crg, I am thinking the same thing that correcting an arrest report is almost impossible . But what I really need is the police department to write at least a letter explaining the error, do you think they might have to do that?
I think you have better things to do with your time. Just explain the matter if asked to do so. They usually won't rely on third party derogatory information like that unless it's overwhelming. It's not like you signed a voter registration, an employment verification, or something similar.
Old Nov 1st 2009, 3:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Ok, thank you.
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 12:51 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crg
I think you have better things to do with your time. Just explain the matter if asked to do so. They usually won't rely on third party derogatory information like that unless it's overwhelming. It's not like you signed a voter registration, an employment verification, or something similar.

Milan

I urge that you check with your lawyer. A phone call will set your mind at ease.

I don't agree with the above poster. USCIS takes very seriously any assertion of USC by a foreigner, PR or not. It need not be on a voter registration or an I-9 for employment.

A simple phone call will tell you if anything needs to be done or corrected.
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 2:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thank you Rete, I am about to go to the police department. I will post the outcome when I return.
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 2:03 pm
Concierge

Thank you Rete, I am about to go to the police department. I will post the outcome when I return.

Milan, you can only do so much. If it is not changeable, then it is not and when it comes time to naturalize, you can only tell the truth of what transpired at the time of the arrest (if it is noted and asked by the examiner).
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 3:05 pm
Just Joined

ap14 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi guys
Here's a suggestion. Put everything in writing. If they will not correct the error, maybe you could write a letter outlining the error with the case number etc, mention that you did show the cop your GC, that you are not a USC and never claimed that you were one to the cop. You understand that an error was made by the officer.

Make a copy of this letter and have them sign the copy as proof that you submitted the letter ??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.