Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Obtaining a visa to teach in Miami Dade County

Obtaining a visa to teach in Miami Dade County

Old Feb 27th 2019, 9:32 pm
Just Joined

rlwat94 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Obtaining a visa to teach in Miami Dade County

Hello,

My partner has recently moved to Miami as part of his work. Obviously I would ideally like to join him.

I am a fully qualified teacher in the United Kingdom and have 2 years of experience as a full time qualified teacher. I have received promotions in that time. I also have an undergraduate degree at Durham University, a top tier university in the UK, especially for History and Classics. I currently teach history but would also be willing to teach English as it is an area of shortage for Florida.

I have been in touch with Miami-Dade County Public Schools as I am aware of the J1 exchange visa for teachers. However they have told me that they only employ international teachers who are legally authorised to work in the US without sponsorship as they do not sponsor foreign applicants. The J1 exchange requires a sponsorship.

Therefore I am wondering if anybody could give me some advice on how I would be able to obtain authorisation to work without a sponsor? Are there any visas I could be directed to? Unfortunately I am quite restricted in my location as it is Miami where I would want to move to be with my partner.

Many thanks in advance
Rachel
Old Feb 27th 2019, 9:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

sherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Obtaining a visa to teach in Miami Dade County

What visa is your partner on? Pretty much the only way you'll get a visa is to marry your partner. There is no provision in the visa system that will allow you to work as an unmarried parter of someone who has a visa. Also, what kind of visa your partner has will dictate if you are able to work or not.
Old Feb 27th 2019, 9:52 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

The only way would be if your partner is on an L visa, you get married and apply for an L2 visa, which allows you to then apply for an EAD (Employment Authorization Document) in the USA. Then you would be able to work without employer sponsorship.

Rene
Old Feb 27th 2019, 10:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

You generally need a degree in English to teach English.
In any case they won't sponsor you.

Did your partner make a permanent move without discussing a plan?

http://www.fldoe.org/teaching/certif...6a-4-0162.stml

Last edited by Hotscot; Feb 27th 2019 at 10:07 pm.
Old Feb 27th 2019, 10:20 pm
Just Joined

He is on an L1 visa, yes.

And with regards to teaching english, I am aware that is the case. I did do credits in English at university and achieved the highest grade in these as well as at A Level where I achieved an A*. It is also a requirement in the UK to have
a degree in the subject you wish to teach however due to it being in shortage allowances are often made for people judged to be talented in the subject - I was intending to try my luck to see if this was also the case in Florida. I am also currently aware they won’t sponsor me - hence the original question!

It just felt from the county’s reply that international teachers do teach in their schools but not through sponsorship. She implied it would be possible, and has been done before, so I was hoping there would be alternative options.

With regards to a ‘plan’, I currently work in a school in England and wish to finish the school year. We had hoped J1 would be possible but clearly not in this area. The timing of his move was not dictated by him! - helpful questions with the aim to assist me in my dilemma, rather than personal questions in the future please!

Many thanks to to those of you who have given me advice thus far.

Rachel
Old Feb 27th 2019, 10:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

GeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like marriage is your only option I'm afraid/happy to say.
Old Feb 27th 2019, 10:49 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rlwat94

It just felt from the county’s reply that international teachers do teach in their schools but not through sponsorship. She implied it would be possible, and has been done before, so I was hoping there would be alternative options.

Rachel
It would appear that what they meant was that they are happy to hire foreign-trained teachers who are already legally in the country -- that would mean via routes such as marriage to a USC or as the spouse of a person on a L visa or E visa, after having been approved for an EAD.

Old Feb 27th 2019, 10:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

'The timing of his move was not dictated by him! - helpful questions with the aim to assist me in my dilemma, rather than personal questions in the future please! '

Please understand that to get a fuller picture and to advise on options available you may be asked questions that you are sensitive about. Just take them in good grace unless anyone is being abusive. Many of the questions need to be personal as your 'dilemma' is personal to you.

This is not a paid-for consultancy. Many, many experienced members provide very valuable information based on their experience and the variables are many. Look at it like a bunch of folk down the pub that have answers and natural curiosity.

For example in your response to me you stated 'I currently work in a school in England and wish to finish the school year.'
That's a nugget worth knowing.

Marriage would be a relatively easy option and provide a welcome measure of stability. Have you considered it?

I see you had similar responses on your other thread.
Moving to Miami, Florida with partner

Good luck working something out.

Last edited by Hotscot; Feb 27th 2019 at 11:14 pm.
Old Feb 28th 2019, 10:48 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Marriage would be a relatively easy option
From what I can see it's the only option. And even, you'll still have to re-qualify as a teacher in Florida, you won't just walk into a job.

helpful questions with the aim to assist me in my dilemma, rather than personal questions in the future please!
If you want good information you have to give good information. What you are wanting to do is not possible vis-a-vie a relevant visa.
Old Feb 28th 2019, 3:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Just wanted to add that once I was at a branch in my life where, getting married or not, was the biggest factor on where my life went.

We married.

Best decision I've made in my life. Nothing else compares.

(Apart from seeing ABBA in '79, and Queen in '82)
Old Feb 28th 2019, 3:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, school districts do employ international teachers but they don't sponsor them - there are plenty of teachers trained in the US.

Nephew, a UK teacher, is happily teaching in California - he is able to as he married a US citizen.

If you marry your partner you will receive an L2 allowing you to work.

(you were told us this back in September - nothing has changed)

Last edited by SanDiegogirl; Feb 28th 2019 at 3:52 pm.
Old Feb 28th 2019, 3:58 pm
Just Joined

Thank you all for your replies! I really appreciate your advice and knowledge. Definitely some big decisions I need to make!
Old Feb 28th 2019, 4:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by rlwat94
Thank you all for your replies! I really appreciate your advice and knowledge. Definitely some big decisions I need to make!

Look...really...good luck.
I know it's a big step but if you want to be with your partner and he really wants to be with you.
Get married. It's cards on the table time. No other options.
The potential is amazing and at the end of the day it's not a ball and chain.
Please let us know how you get on. Add to the body of knowledge.

(If you need to chat privately just send a message privately. I know your situation.)

Last edited by Hotscot; Feb 28th 2019 at 5:24 pm.
Old Feb 28th 2019, 5:34 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

International Schools might sponsor someone, but presumably you want a job pretty close to where he will be living and Florida is a big place.
Old Feb 28th 2019, 5:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

But do International Schools sponsor people?
And then does someone have to pay them back?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.