Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Obtaining NYS drivers license while pending AOS

Obtaining NYS drivers license while pending AOS

Old Jan 20th 2016, 9:30 pm
Forum Regular

Bearcub is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Obtaining NYS drivers license while pending AOS

Hi there

I am pending my greencard that has "ready to schedule" status but has been like that for quite some time. I received my EAD and obtained a social security card in the meantime. I attempted to get a drivers license and the pleasant people at the DMV took my application and ripped it up when I showed up with my passport and social security card and said come back when I have my greencard. However, I was under the impression one can obtain a license while pending the greencard. I probably should have brought my EAD in as well. I don't want to waste another trip and give them the gratification of ripping another application and not giving me any information about how to properly follow up. I went on the site and obtained a list for people in my similar situation. I'd like to know if anyone else has had any issues with this?

Thanks
Old Jan 20th 2016, 10:23 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Obtaining NYS drivers license while pending AOS

Not in NY, but my husband got his AZ state ID through DMV by showing his passport and EAD.

Yes, you need the EAD because that had am expiration date on it.

Rene
Old Jan 20th 2016, 10:43 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you Rene!
Old Jan 21st 2016, 12:49 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

EAD was good for me.
Old Jan 21st 2016, 2:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Which NYS DMV office did you go to? I've only ever used the Yonkers office, which was dont-give-a-****-computer-says-no personified (happily all my paperwork was in order), but I suspect if you went to a more rural / less busy DMV you might get a more human response.
Old Jan 21st 2016, 6:57 pm
Forum Regular

Haha were in the city so we went to the one in midtown. And yes, they're all miserable!
Old Jan 22nd 2016, 3:58 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bearcub
Haha were in the city so we went to the one in midtown. And yes, they're all miserable!
My license journey started in White Plains, but I did my road test in Herkimer because of the three month wait in White Plains.
Old Jan 22nd 2016, 6:01 pm
Forum Regular

Wow! That's a long time to wait! Thanks for the tip. We'll definitely consider going out of town if the wait is a bit crazy!
Old Jan 22nd 2016, 6:09 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bearcub
Wow! That's a long time to wait! Thanks for the tip. We'll definitely consider going out of town if the wait is a bit crazy!
Yeah, we tried further and further north and west, until we found Herkimer, which had test times available for the following week.
Old Feb 9th 2016, 12:53 pm
Forum Regular

FWIW, everything was quickly resolved once we brought in the EAD as previously suggested. We went to the DMV in midtown and were out in 20 minutes. Everything went smooth for once!