Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Obtaining a J-1 visa/internship visa

Obtaining a J-1 visa/internship visa

Old Sep 21st 2009, 8:13 pm
Just Joined

katielouise is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Obtaining a J-1 visa/internship visa

Hi, I am currently looking for ways to obtain a J-1 student work visa...
Could anyone recommend any sponsors in particular?

Also... has anyone used interexchange before?

http://www.interexchange.org

Thank you!
Old Sep 21st 2009, 9:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

caleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Obtaining a J-1 visa/internship visa

http://www.bunac.org/

BUNAC are the main organization for taking care of this kind of thing.

Personally I wouldn't go with anyone else. They generally do a very good job. Plus they are non-profit, so costs are reasonable.
Old Sep 21st 2009, 9:40 pm
Just Joined

I am currently in the states on the summer Work America program which is run by BUNAC, and would love to use them again. I wasn't aware that they ran a 12 month J-1 though? Do they?
Old Sep 21st 2009, 9:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

caleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by katielouise
I am currently in the states on the summer Work America program which is run by BUNAC, and would love to use them again. I wasn't aware that they ran a 12 month J-1 though? Do they?
Yes, I think so, however if I understand it correctly it is for degree-related training/internships. Give them a call to see what they can do.
Old Sep 21st 2009, 11:29 pm
Just Joined

Thank you very much! I have just sent them an email explaining. Well I actually have been hired by a photography company here... and my BA is in Photography. I am hoping that it might be easier to arrange than the H2B. : )
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 12:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Yes, particularly since H2 is for seasonal work, which I'm not sure you would qualify for.

Whatever you do, I expect you will have to go home to figure it out. Your J1-time is likely up in a week. Don't overstay, whatever you do.
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 12:25 am
Just Joined

Yes... My family want me home so there is no chance of that lol. I fly home in about a week. I really hope that I can sort it out with BUNAC, i'll call as you suggested first thing tomorrow.

If BUNAC can't provide this, are there any other legitimate sponsors out there. I read a little into interexchange, and from what I can gather it seems a lot like BUNAC?

Thanks again! You really know your stuff!
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 2:40 am
BE Enthusiast

I've not heard of interexchange - I will look into that.

However BUNAC have been at this game for a long time. They have the support network in place and ( I believe) a solid reputation.

Also, I see two problems. Firstly, you need to get on this program sharpish, as my understanding is it is for those who have recently graduated. If BUNAC have given out all of their quota for this year, it's possible you'll have to wait for the next round, by which time you may no longer qualify.

Secondly, your J1 visa may have conditions, such as that you MUST move home after a year. Since from your personal page it seems you want to be with your BF, I would look into this. You may not be able to bounce to another visa straight away when the J1 is up.

Which will lead most posters on this board to suggest the obvious.......marriage.

BUNAC will be able to answer these two questions tomorrow.
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 10:53 am
BE Enthusiast

henryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caleyjag
I've not heard of interexchange - I will look into that.

However BUNAC have been at this game for a long time. They have the support network in place and ( I believe) a solid reputation.

Also, I see two problems. Firstly, you need to get on this program sharpish, as my understanding is it is for those who have recently graduated. If BUNAC have given out all of their quota for this year, it's possible you'll have to wait for the next round, by which time you may no longer qualify.

Secondly, your J1 visa may have conditions, such as that you MUST move home after a year. Since from your personal page it seems you want to be with your BF, I would look into this. You may not be able to bounce to another visa straight away when the J1 is up.

Which will lead most posters on this board to suggest the obvious.......marriage.

BUNAC will be able to answer these two questions tomorrow.
I'm not totally sure about this, but I believe:
BUNAC is mainly suitable for people who do not already have an employer that wants to hire them. They match applicants up to employers (e.g. summer camps) and sponsor the J-1.
Companies such as Interexchange and CDS International are mainly used when the employer and intern have already found each other. For instance, a friend of mine applied to intern at Google and was accepted. Google then put him in touch with CDS, who organised his J-1.
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 1:04 pm
Just Joined

I have just had an email back from BUNAC...

"
Thanks for your email. We don’t deal with any other type of J1 visa other than the one you would have had for the summer. We are not familiar with any organisation that does the longer-term visa, so you’d be best to search online or contact US Immigration directly to see if they can advise you."