Oath Ceremony-Help!

Old Oct 6th 2009, 6:59 am
Just Joined

Melania is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Oath Ceremony-Help!

Hi there!
I finally received the letter to attend the Oath Ceremony on Oct. 16.
I also applied for a name change, will the Naturalization certificate that I will get have my new name on it? Thank you!
Old Oct 6th 2009, 7:05 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Oath Ceremony-Help!

Originally Posted by Melania
I also applied for a name change, will the Naturalization certificate that I will get have my new name on it?
It should, yes.

Ian
Old Oct 6th 2009, 7:12 am
Just Joined

Thank you, ian-mstm!
I'm taking the Oath Ceremony at the court so I can't wait to see my new name on it!
Old Oct 6th 2009, 7:42 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you, ian-mstm!
I'm taking the Oath Ceremony at the court so I can't wait to see my new name on it!
You'll get a court order that changes your name along with your naturalization certificate in your new name.
Old Oct 6th 2009, 7:45 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you, ian-mstm!
My husband indicated a name change on his N-400, and his naturalization certificate has his new name on it. As fatbrit says, my husband also got the court order for the name change.

Rene
Old Oct 6th 2009, 7:50 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Noorah101
My husband indicated a name change on his N-400, and his naturalization certificate has his new name on it. As fatbrit says, my husband also got the court order for the name change.

Rene
Court order for a name change on the same day of the oath ceremony?! Thank you!
Old Oct 6th 2009, 9:04 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Court order for a name change on the same day of the oath ceremony?!
Just to clarify... you're actually changing your legal name, right? You're not just taking the last name of your spouse. If you do a legal name change to that of your spouse, then you can't ever go back to your unmarried name without another court order... even if you divorce. It's the difference between assuming a new name (which is perfectly okay as long as you're not doing it with the intent to commit fraud), and legally changing your name.

Ian
Old Oct 6th 2009, 9:05 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Court order for a name change on the same day of the oath ceremony?! Thank you!
Yes, the court order was done and handed to him at the oath ceremony, so he would have an official record of the court-ordered name change.

If your oath ceremony is not held in a courtroom or not done by a judge, however, your mileage may vary.

Rene
Old Oct 6th 2009, 9:06 am

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Just to clarify... you're actually changing your legal name, right? You're not just taking the last name of your spouse. If you do a legal name change to that of your spouse, then you can't ever go back to your unmarried name without another court order... even if you divorce. It's the difference between assuming a new name (which is perfectly okay as long as you're not doing it with the intent to commit fraud), and legally changing your name.

Ian
But if one does go through a divorce, it can be part of the divorce paperwork to have your name changed back to something pre-marriage (anything you choose). My sister and I both did this.

Rene
Old Oct 6th 2009, 9:07 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
If your oath ceremony is not held in a courtroom or not done by a judge, however, your mileage may vary.

You need a judicial oath ceremony if you're changing your name. Nothing less will work.
Old Oct 6th 2009, 12:50 pm
Just Joined

I'm not getting married, just changing my Asian to an American name.
I believe to get your SS and driver license to a new name, a certificate of naturalization with your new name on it will be accepted but I could be wrong.

I am notified to appear for the Naturalization Oath Ceremony at the U.S. District Court House.
I am excited and ready for all this to be over with!

Last edited by Melania; Oct 6th 2009 at 12:53 pm.
Old Oct 6th 2009, 1:24 pm

I believe to get your SS and driver license to a new name, a certificate of naturalization with your new name on it will be accepted but I could be wrong.
You are correct.

Rene
Old Oct 6th 2009, 1:27 pm
Account Closed

Ah! No worries then.

I believe you need a copy of the judicial order for the change of name, rather than the natz certificate. With the judicial order, you can get a new SS card and license, etc.

Ian
Old Oct 6th 2009, 1:39 pm
Septicity

I am notified to appear for the Naturalization Oath Ceremony at the U.S. District Court House.
I am excited and ready for all this to be over with!
You'll get both documents. Just take the two of them along to DMV and SSA and they'll copy what they need. If you're not leaving in the next month or so, do these before you apply for your US passport. When you do that, you have to send your naturalization certificate with the application. They return it with the passport. Make sure you get a copy (despite the wording on the front!) before you send it off.
Old Oct 6th 2009, 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
I believe you need a copy of the judicial order for the change of name, rather than the natz certificate. With the judicial order, you can get a new SS card and license, etc.

Ian
IIRC, Sadegh only needed to show the naturalization certificate for both his new SS card and his new State ID.

Rene

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.