Nursing In the Us

Old Oct 18th 2003, 6:32 pm
Just Joined

paul6831h is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Nursing In the Us

I am at the very start of the K1 process, I am a registered nurse here in the Uk, I would like to ask, have any other UK Nurses married US citizens and gone to live in the US before taking the Licence exams (CGFNS, NCLEX.) Were there any difficulties obtaining the K1 because of this.
Old Oct 18th 2003, 7:02 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Nursing In the Us

Originally posted by paul6831h
I am at the very start of the K1 process, I am a registered nurse here in the Uk, I would like to ask, have any other UK Nurses married US citizens and gone to live in the US before taking the Licence exams (CGFNS, NCLEX.) Were there any difficulties obtaining the K1 because of this.
Hi:

There are requirements to enter the United States IN ORDER to engage in any of the medical professions. However, you are NOT entering the US "in order" to be a nurse -- you are entering to marry a US citizen.

As such, if you want to be a nurse in the US, you are subject to the requirements applicable to ANY nurse in the US -- contact the state nursing board of the state of intending residence to get their requirements. You do NOT need to inquire about the immigration requirements.
Old Oct 18th 2003, 10:42 pm
Mummy and baby 1982

Maggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by paul6831h
Hello

I am a UK registered Nurse and I am married to a USC. I am here on a K3 visa and arrived here in July. I have contacted CGFNS and the Illinois state board and in order to practice in this state I have to take the CGFNS and then once that is passed, take the NCLEX-RN. I am about to apply to the CGFNS to start the process and get studying...it's been a long time since my finals!!

There is no reason why you can't come over her on a K1 and arrange to take the exams once here. I do believe you can arrange to take the CGFNS in the UK which might be an option if you have the time. If you look on the CGFNS web site it tells you where and when the exams are held.

Hope this helps,

Maggie
Old Oct 19th 2003, 5:49 am
Mrtravel

paul6831h wrote:

> I am at the very start of the K1 process, I am a registered nurse
    > here in the Uk, I would like to ask, have any other UK Nurses
    > married US citizens and gone to live in the US before taking the
    > Licence exams (CGFNS, NCLEX.) Were there any difficulties obtaining
    > the K1 because of this.

Obtaining a K1 has nothing to do with getting a US state's license to be
a nurse. I am confused

Old Oct 19th 2003, 1:41 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Philadelphia, Pa. USA/Salva formerly Argentinanow home Cuba
crews1980 is an unknown quantity at this point

Maggs,

The following website is the National Council of State Boards of Nursing, (NCSBN). You would register with them to take NCLEX. It also includes links to all the individual state boards of nursing. Good luck!!

www.ncsbn.org

Toria
Old Oct 19th 2003, 3:41 pm
Mummy and baby 1982

Maggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by crews1980
Maggs,

The following website is the National Council of State Boards of Nursing, (NCSBN). You would register with them to take NCLEX. It also includes links to all the individual state boards of nursing. Good luck!!

www.ncsbn.org

Toria
Thanks Toria
I will need that once I'm ready to do the NCLEX.

Maggs
Old Oct 19th 2003, 11:22 pm
Just Joined

Thanks maggs It is a long time since I qualified also infact it was 1978 when I qualifid as an EN and 1982 when I qualified SRN or should I say RGN.. I am currently trying to revise which I find dificult as I have so much other stuff going on in my head.. K1 etc. I have not yet contacted the state board but I know that I have to sit the CGFNS as I want to go to southern Texas. I have been told that this required. I was just unsure as to wether i had to have this before the K1 was issued or could I go for this once in the US.
Originally posted by Maggs
Hello

I am a UK registered Nurse and I am married to a USC. I am here on a K3 visa and arrived here in July. I have contacted CGFNS and the Illinois state board and in order to practice in this state I have to take the CGFNS and then once that is passed, take the NCLEX-RN. I am about to apply to the CGFNS to start the process and get studying...it's been a long time since my finals!!

There is no reason why you can't come over her on a K1 and arrange to take the exams once here. I do believe you can arrange to take the CGFNS in the UK which might be an option if you have the time. If you look on the CGFNS web site it tells you where and when the exams are held.

Hope this helps,

Maggie
Old Oct 20th 2003, 7:36 am
Rock Goddess

Rockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond repute

Paul, are you sure you need the CGFNS? I was offered a job in Texas but I had only done the NCLEX, not the CGFNS. I haven't bothered with it at all. To be honest I've never really understood the point of CGFNS and my agency seem to think it's not an option even worth mentioning. The only contact with CGFNS I had was to be assessed for my visa screen certificate. If you pass the NCLEX you can work anywhere. Why bother with CGFNS?
Old Oct 20th 2003, 10:44 am
Just Joined

I am not sure I obviously need to contact the state board to see what I do need..I am not going to go through an agency as this would take far too long for me. As I said I am at the start of the K!v Fiance' visa route. and I am looking at trying to do everything myself without having to go through an agency as they may not be able to get me a job in the area that I want. But I do not want to have to pay for something if I do not actually need it .

Originally posted by Rockgurl
Paul, are you sure you need the CGFNS? I was offered a job in Texas but I had only done the NCLEX, not the CGFNS. I haven't bothered with it at all. To be honest I've never really understood the point of CGFNS and my agency seem to think it's not an option even worth mentioning. The only contact with CGFNS I had was to be assessed for my visa screen certificate. If you pass the NCLEX you can work anywhere. Why bother with CGFNS?
Old Oct 20th 2003, 1:55 pm
Mummy and baby 1982

Originally posted by Rockgurl

Rockgurl

Some states explicitly say that the CGFNS is required before the NCLEX can be taken. Illinois is definitely one of them and the certificate verification is not enough. However I don't know anything about Texas or any other state as I live in Illinois.

Paul

Our nursing careers seem to mirror each other! I too qualified as an SEN in 1978 and did my RGN in 1992!! I didn't go through an agency for the same reasons as yourself.... no guarantee a job would be anywhere near where we live and also the time issue.

The web site Toria replied with, the National Council of State Boards of Nursing, is really useful and I think has the answer about the state licensure requirements. I also looked on the requirements for the State of Illinois Department of Professional Regulation which regulates not just nurses but all professions where certification is required. I'm pretty sure Texas would have a similar state department. We also don't need the Visa Screen as we are immigrating on fiance/marriage visa's not for nursing employment. CGFNS has an e mail address and did answer e mails fairly quickly. So did the Ill Dept of Prof Reg answer fairly quickly too. Good luck.

Maggie