Notory question

Old Jul 17th 2003, 1:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

whatever will become famous soon enoughwhatever will become famous soon enough
Default Notory question

Character references should be notorized - I hear.
If someone writes a character reference, do they have to sign it in front of the Notory, or can it be taken to a notory AFTER being signed and then have it notorized?
Old Jul 17th 2003, 1:52 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Notory question

Originally posted by whatever
Character references should be notorized - I hear.
If someone writes a character reference, do they have to sign it in front of the Notory, or can it be taken to a notory AFTER being signed and then have it notorized?
A notary must witness the signing of the form/letter. That is what they are attesting to...the authenticity of the signature and that the person signing is who they claim to be. They are not attesting to the validity of the references in the letter.

Rete

PS Character references do not have to be notarized. It can't hurt to have it done but not a requirement for the BCIS.
Old Jul 17th 2003, 3:22 pm
Rock Goddess

Rockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure about character references, but I've had two documents notarized, neither of which I had to sign. One of them was a photocopy of my nursing licence. I had no idea you could notarize a photocopy but he did, as my original is in the States. They typically ask you if everything in the document is true to your knowledge, and then he stamps it.
Old Jul 17th 2003, 5:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Default Re: Notory question

Originally posted by Rete
A notary must witness the signing of the form/letter. That is what they are attesting to...the authenticity of the signature and that the person signing is who they claim to be. They are not attesting to the validity of the references in the letter.

Rete

PS Character references do not have to be notarized. It can't hurt to have it done but not a requirement for the BCIS.

Thanks for clearing that up Rete
Old Jul 17th 2003, 5:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by Rockgurl
I'm not sure about character references, but I've had two documents notarized, neither of which I had to sign. One of them was a photocopy of my nursing licence. I had no idea you could notarize a photocopy but he did, as my original is in the States. They typically ask you if everything in the document is true to your knowledge, and then he stamps it.
Oh that makes sense because I will also need to get the stamp in my passport photocopied and then have that notorised for the embassy. Cheers Rockgurl
Old Jul 17th 2003, 5:58 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by whatever
Oh that makes sense because I will also need to get the stamp in my passport photocopied and then have that notorised for the embassy. Cheers Rockgurl
In both those instances, what the notary (which I am) is notarizing is that the copy is a true copy of the original of which they have seen or a true copy as presented to them verbally by the bearer of the instrument. Again, they are not notarizing the validity of the document, although it would appear to most people that that is what is being done.

Rete