Not sure where to start!

Old Jan 26th 2005, 5:26 pm
Just Joined

Julie Shipp is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Not sure where to start!

My British husband and I (a Yank) met and married 8 years ago in the States, then immediately moved to England where we lived until February 2004. We came to live in the States then because his company transferred him on an L1 work visa. (He's never lived in the USA before.) We have a great book all about fiance and marriage visas, but it doesn't address this particular situation, so we're having some difficulty deciding whether or not to follow their route and do it ourselves or to try to find a lawyer. Any suggestions? Anyone know a good immigration lawyer in the Cleveland area?
Old Jan 26th 2005, 5:29 pm
The Missus

SecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Not sure where to start!

Can't answer your question, but here is the place to get a referral:

www.aila.org

Fill out the registration section and they will send you a list in your area.

~SecretGarden
Old Jan 26th 2005, 5:39 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by SecretGarden
Can't answer your question, but here is the place to get a referral:

www.aila.org

Fill out the registration section and they will send you a list in your area.

~SecretGarden
Thanks!
Old Jan 26th 2005, 5:39 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Julie Shipp
My British husband and I (a Yank) met and married 8 years ago in the States, then immediately moved to England where we lived until February 2004. We came to live in the States then because his company transferred him on an L1 work visa. (He's never lived in the USA before.) We have a great book all about fiance and marriage visas, but it doesn't address this particular situation, so we're having some difficulty deciding whether or not to follow their route and do it ourselves or to try to find a lawyer. Any suggestions? Anyone know a good immigration lawyer in the Cleveland area?

SG gave you a link for obtaining a name of an immigration attorney in your area. However, your husband entered the US legally on an L-1 so no fraud would have been committed at the POE when he entered. You can file for his adjustment of status by filing the I-130, I-485, I-865, 2-G325A's and his medical at the appropriate district office if Cleveland is not part of the Phase I where all documents are filed with the Chicago lockbox address. It is doable yourself as long as there are no skeletons in his closet, as in criminal history even juvvie, previous overstay issues, etc. It is always wise to get at minimum a consultation with an immigration attorney. We did it ourselves with the K-1 and subsequent AOS but I did consult with an immigration attorney here before starting the procedure.

It looks daunting but if you are organized and manical in completing forms, you can do it yourself. If there are issues in his background or you like knowing that someone else is going to be looking out for your best interests then go with an attorney. One reason that an attorney is great is that they will get copies of any correspondence from USCIS. If you move or don't get your mail properly, they will get a copy and tell you when an appointment is scheduled.

Rete
Old Jan 26th 2005, 5:52 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Rete
SG gave you a link for obtaining a name of an immigration attorney in your area. However, your husband entered the US legally on an L-1 so no fraud would have been committed at the POE when he entered. You can file for his adjustment of status by filing the I-130, I-485, I-865, 2-G325A's and his medical at the appropriate district office if Cleveland is not part of the Phase I where all documents are filed with the Chicago lockbox address. It is doable yourself as long as there are no skeletons in his closet, as in criminal history even juvvie, previous overstay issues, etc. It is always wise to get at minimum a consultation with an immigration attorney. We did it ourselves with the K-1 and subsequent AOS but I did consult with an immigration attorney here before starting the procedure.

It looks daunting but if you are organized and manical in completing forms, you can do it yourself. If there are issues in his background or you like knowing that someone else is going to be looking out for your best interests then go with an attorney. One reason that an attorney is great is that they will get copies of any correspondence from USCIS. If you move or don't get your mail properly, they will get a copy and tell you when an appointment is scheduled.

Rete
Thanks very much for taking the time to go into so much detail. It's very reassuring to know that someone else out there has gone through it.
Old Jan 26th 2005, 6:00 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Julie Shipp
Thanks very much for taking the time to go into so much detail. It's very reassuring to know that someone else out there has gone through it.

Also as a newbie to the BE forum, you might have taken the time to read the preface at the start of the forum which has a link to the FAQ nor to the second root post at the top under my name. If you go into the FAQ you will see examples of how to complete the forms, etc. If you go into the root post under my name you will see two links. One is for AOS experiences, they are listed by category, i.e., I-130, K-1, DCF, etc. Go to I-130 and look for Cleveland and see how others fared. And go to the AOS filing experiences. Again I-130 and then to Cleveland and see how people in the past filed (which might not be applicable today) but the information about what they filed is still viable for today's filers. There are also links as to other information which you might find useful.
Old Jan 26th 2005, 6:58 pm
Just Joined

Also as a newbie to the BE forum, you might have taken the time to read the preface at the start of the forum which has a link to the FAQ nor to the second root post at the top under my name. If you go into the FAQ you will see examples of how to complete the forms, etc. If you go into the root post under my name you will see two links. One is for AOS experiences, they are listed by category, i.e., I-130, K-1, DCF, etc. Go to I-130 and look for Cleveland and see how others fared. And go to the AOS filing experiences. Again I-130 and then to Cleveland and see how people in the past filed (which might not be applicable today) but the information about what they filed is still viable for today's filers. There are also links as to other information which you might find useful.
Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately, I just quickly signed up on the site today on my lunch break, and haven't spent much time looking at all of the links, but will do soon. Thanks again!
Old Feb 8th 2005, 8:03 pm
Forum Regular

dhabud is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Julie

Visit International Institute at http://www.iiakron.org/

These people do help lot of international expats in filing immigration applications in the Akron Area. And they can go over with you in on your application. Also if needed they can refer you experts in Area. As far as I know they dont charge any fees.

Regards
dhabud
Old Feb 8th 2005, 8:20 pm
K1 via London

Steffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond repute

It is doable yourself as long as there are no skeletons in his closet, as in criminal history even juvvie, previous overstay issues, etc.
As Rete already mentioned this is very doable on your own if you don't have a complicated case. My husband and I have done everything ourselves starting with the K1 fiance visa through now going through the AOS process. We found this forum after we got married and have since then had a lot of help from the people on this forum for any questions we had or things we didn't quite understand. We've had a few bumps here and there but we are perfectly content having done this without hiring anyone. Just keep a folder with any and all documents you get or file and you should be fine!
Old Feb 8th 2005, 9:09 pm
Banned

Matthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond repute

One reason that an attorney is great is that they will get copies of any correspondence from USCIS. If you move or don't get your mail properly, they will get a copy and tell you when an appointment is scheduled.

Rete
True. Another aspect that seems to always get overlooked is that an attorney will try to resolve USCIS and/or Consulate mistakes if (or should I say when) they make them along the way.