Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Is it or Is it NOT moral turpitude

Is it or Is it NOT moral turpitude

Old Oct 13th 2008, 8:57 pm
Forum Regular

bjohn has a brilliant futurebjohn has a brilliant futurebjohn has a brilliant futurebjohn has a brilliant futurebjohn has a brilliant futurebjohn has a brilliant futurebjohn has a brilliant future
Default Is it or Is it NOT moral turpitude

Hello

I was arrested for affray in the UK (basically a fight involving a small number of people in the street). The police did their investigation took no further action against me. No charge, no conviction.

I understand the US Embassy website states that all arrests and convictions require an interview for a holiday visa. Is this absolutely required by law?

This seems to me to be just a way for an official to determine whether the arrest or conviction was of moral turpitude. If its not of moral turpitude then visa is granted. As far as I can tell the equivalent arrest in the US would be Public Disorder which appears in nearly all cases to be non moral turpitude.

Understanding this is a grey area, would people recommend I get a visa or travel on the visa waiver ticking the "No" to arrests and or convictions to crimes that are moral turpitude? I have a flight booked in about 4 weeks and it appears a visa will not be ready by then.

http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/86942.pdf

Regards
B
Old Oct 13th 2008, 11:46 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it or Is it NOT moral turpitude

Originally Posted by bjohn
Hello

I was arrested for affray in the UK (basically a fight involving a small number of people in the street). The police did their investigation took no further action against me. No charge, no conviction.

I understand the US Embassy website states that all arrests and convictions require an interview for a holiday visa. Is this absolutely required by law?

This seems to me to be just a way for an official to determine whether the arrest or conviction was of moral turpitude. If its not of moral turpitude then visa is granted. As far as I can tell the equivalent arrest in the US would be Public Disorder which appears in nearly all cases to be non moral turpitude.

Understanding this is a grey area, would people recommend I get a visa or travel on the visa waiver ticking the "No" to arrests and or convictions to crimes that are moral turpitude? I have a flight booked in about 4 weeks and it appears a visa will not be ready by then.

Regards
B
You've booked the flight and there isn't time to get a visa, so you've already made your decision, and would like validation here. You probably won't get validation.

Have you considered starting by reading the "Crimes Involving Moral Turpitude - A Broad Overview" thread at the top of this page? It would probably help answer your questions about the crime itself.
Old Oct 14th 2008, 12:30 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Oh dear... you've fallen into the trap. You have assumed that what the US Embassy website states, is the law.

As far as I can tell the equivalent arrest in the US would be Public Disorder which appears in nearly all cases to be non moral turpitude.
Then it seems you have your answer.

Ian
Old Oct 14th 2008, 12:33 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello

Regards
B
Hi:

This is an excellent question which was recently discussed -- http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ghlight=affray

In addition to the wiki, I suggest you read the threat all the way through. One post was later corrected by a knowledeable poster.

Also, you posted an excellent list on what types of crimes are and are not crimes involving moral turpitude. I suggest strongly that you read it.

Your life, your decision. Do read the back of an I-94W carefully.

Last edited by Folinskyinla; Oct 14th 2008 at 12:37 am.
Old Oct 14th 2008, 6:47 am
Forum Regular

bjohn has a brilliant futurebjohn has a brilliant futurebjohn has a brilliant futurebjohn has a brilliant futurebjohn has a brilliant futurebjohn has a brilliant futurebjohn has a brilliant future

Thanks for the responses

That previous post is a good read. General consensus seems to think that affray is not of moral turpitude. Need a good US lawyer to determine that one I guess. Any suggestions?

Yes I booked the flight assuming the rule of thumb "innocent until proven guilty" as in most countries. As I was not guilty and ONLY arrested and travel everywhere else in Europe I made an assumption here.

So your saying the US embassy website is not law? that is my question?

Many Thanks
B
Old Oct 14th 2008, 7:22 am
Account Closed

Thanks for the responses

That previous post is a good read. General consensus seems to think that affray is not of moral turpitude. Need a good US lawyer to determine that one I guess. Any suggestions?

Yes I booked the flight assuming the rule of thumb "innocent until proven guilty" as in most countries. As I was not guilty and ONLY arrested and travel everywhere else in Europe I made an assumption here.

So your saying the US embassy website is not law? that is my question?

Many Thanks
B
Hi:

Of course the Embassy website is not law.
Old Oct 14th 2008, 8:26 am
Banned

ajb24 is an unknown quantity at this point

The trick is in the wording isnt it. It is worded arrested AND/OR convicted not arrested AND convicted. If this recent agreement is to be believed about U.S having access to uk police records then u could run into trouble. <snipped misinformation>

Last edited by Rete; Oct 14th 2008 at 3:36 pm. Reason: delete misinformation
Old Oct 14th 2008, 9:03 am
Forum Regular

I still don't know whether to answer Yes or No to the following. "Have you ever been arrested or convicted for an offense or crime involving moral turpitude." - is "Affray" (which was proved I did not commit) a crime involving moral turpitude and by answering "No" would a border guard think differently if an arrest showed up on the database?

Calling the US embassy is no good. At a charge of £1.20 per/min a girl in Scotland advises you that she cannot make a decision if a crime involves moral turpitude and you must make an appointment for an interview - in January.

Tough call this one. I'm thinking play safe, change the flight ££££ pay the visa £££££, spend the day in the US embassy ...... yawn.....

Regards
B
Old Oct 14th 2008, 10:27 am
Account Closed

I still don't know whether to answer Yes or No to the following. "Have you ever been arrested or convicted for an offense or crime involving moral turpitude." - is "Affray" (which was proved I did not commit) a crime involving moral turpitude and by answering "No" would a border guard think differently if an arrest showed up on the database?

Calling the US embassy is no good. At a charge of £1.20 per/min a girl in Scotland advises you that she cannot make a decision if a crime involves moral turpitude and you must make an appointment for an interview - in January.

Tough call this one. I'm thinking play safe, change the flight ££££ pay the visa £££££, spend the day in the US embassy ...... yawn.....

Regards
B
Hi:

You hit the nail on the head -- what counts? The law or what the CBP guy or gal at the Port of Entry thinks?

Just out of idle curiosity -- how did you prove you didn't do it? I wasn't aware of a British procedure for this.
Old Oct 14th 2008, 10:39 am
Forum Regular

Good point let me just clarify. My poor wording here. Fight in the street. I was trying to break it up. Got punched in the nose by someone in the fight. Fell to the ground. Police arrived, arrested everyone they found to be involved. Police conducted interviews - I did not admit guilt. Police viewed closed circuit TV footage and took no further action against those they felt were not committing an "Affray". So really the police proved it.

Good point on your last comment about the CBP guy or gal at the port of entry. Their decision is final and could be the nail in the coffin.
Old Oct 14th 2008, 10:50 am
Account Closed

Good point let me just clarify. My poor wording here. Fight in the street. I was trying to break it up. Got punched in the nose by someone in the fight. Fell to the ground. Police arrived, arrested everyone they found to be involved. Police conducted interviews - I did not admit guilt. Police viewed closed circuit TV footage and took no further action against those they felt were not committing an "Affray". So really the police proved it.

Good point on your last comment about the CBP guy or gal at the port of entry. Their decision is final and could be the nail in the coffin.
Hi:

A little point on the VWP refusal -- it is just a refusal of admission and is NOT a formal removal. In other words, you get turned away, lose your airfare and will need to apply for a visa.
Old Oct 14th 2008, 10:58 am
Forum Regular

What if the CBP person decided "Affray" was a crime of moral turpitude? That could mean a ban for life right???
Old Oct 14th 2008, 11:17 am
Banned

ajb24 is an unknown quantity at this point

What if the CBP person decided "Affray" was a crime of moral turpitude? That could mean a ban for life right???
It would mean the loss of the VWP for you for life that is almost certain, But I highly doubt it would mean u being banned for life from entering the U.S, it would be a simple case of applying for the relevant waiver and then doing tourist visa everytime u want to go to America, Since there was no conviction I highly doubt u would be found inadmissible. You dont have a previous record beyond the affray do you and the affray record hardly equals a felony under U.S law, was it GBH with Intent, Wounding, Attempted murder on the otherhand u might have a serious problem but I dont see anything to be too worried about

Last edited by ajb24; Oct 14th 2008 at 11:19 am.
Old Oct 14th 2008, 12:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ajb24
It would mean the loss of the VWP for you for life that is almost certain, But I highly doubt it would mean u being banned for life from entering the U.S, it would be a simple case of applying for the relevant waiver and then doing tourist visa everytime u want to go to America, Since there was no conviction I highly doubt u would be found inadmissible. You dont have a previous record beyond the affray do you and the affray record hardly equals a felony under U.S law, was it GBH with Intent, Wounding, Attempted murder on the otherhand u might have a serious problem but I dont see anything to be too worried about
Where on earth are you getting this information from?

If they decided he lied, it could be an actual problem. But, as he didn't really do anything wrong, I do think it could be sorted somehow.

SIMPLE case of applying for the relevant waiver? doesn't seem simple to me.

A person is not required to apply for a tourist visa every time they travel.

You cannot get a waiver then a visa - you apply for a visa first, then a waiver.

Please don't post such information when you have no idea really - you could mislead someone and really cause them a problem.
Old Oct 14th 2008, 12:58 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ajb24
Your best bet is to ring the U.S embassy and to speak to someone, they can better advise you as to how to proceed...
Really? Do you think people who staff the US Embassy know the law? Don't be absurd!

Ian

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.