Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Non-US Citizen and Security Clearance

Non-US Citizen and Security Clearance

Old Nov 18th 2001, 11:45 am
Barbara Anderson

Hi:

I was wondering if anyone had knowlege about this issue. We live in Huntsville,
Alabama, and the main industry here consists of government contractors, military and
space (NASA). We are hoping that my husband, an engineer from the UK, will be
receiving his work permit within the next month or so. He has been looking around at
job openings here and it appears that most all of the positions require ability to
obtain a security clearance. Is it at all possible for someone who has an EAD and
awaiting AOS to obtain any type of security clearance?

Thanks, Barbara

Old Nov 18th 2001, 12:07 pm
Alvena Ferreira

Barbara Anderson wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
I'd say the chances are not good, unfortunately. Even moreso since 9/11. Here is the
NASA security manual, online: http://www.tscm.com/nasamanual.html (I agree that you
will find most of those jobs are NASA jobs, but I could be wrong).

My ex-husband works at a uranium enrichment plant in Kentucky. They put him through a
rigorous security check, even for a job in the fire department at the plant. The FBI
checked every place he had ever lived in his entire life, interviewing the
neighborhood friends at every place his family had lived since he was born. It took
about six months for his security check to go through, however this was back in about
1972. But they do not take their security lightly, believe me.

Your husband *might* get some contract jobs as an independent contractor, with
temporary security clearance, if there is work that they cannot find US citizens for.
His being from the UK is a *plus*, IMHO. If I was him, I would be checking the
Nashville newspapers for possible jobs, too, since you are only + - a couple hours
down the road from there. There might be jobs on the south side of Nashville, they do
have a car plant down there (Saturn?) and probably some other stuff.

Alvena
-----------------------
Doc Steen Site: http://www.mindspring.com/~docsteen/...o/visainfo.htm
=========================================
I am not a lawyer and this is not immigration advice. This is my personal opinion,
posted for the purpose of discussion only. Locate an immigration attorney in your
area at: http://www.aila.org
=========================================

Old Nov 18th 2001, 12:39 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Asked your question of Jim because he had to have this done a number of years back in order to work for private industry in CA on military contracts and with the US Navy all while he was a member of the RCAF.

He said yes it is possible. If they are willing to accept a non-citizen, then they will do a security clearance through the US agencies and interpol.

Rita
Old Nov 18th 2001, 3:57 pm
Jb

Barbara Anderson wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

It depends on the agency and the type of clearance required (they are not all the
same and each agency has its own requirements). Many positions that require
clearances also require the person who applies for the position to be a US citizen
(the job description should say). At best, my guess is that he would need to be at
least a PR and even then it is doubtful, in my opinion. All he can do is ask.