No passport and greencard

Old Mar 23rd 2002, 7:24 am
Nyugati

Default No passport and greencard

Hi all, I just became a citizen last week. As you probably know, INS takes away the
GC at the ceremony. I just applied for the passport on this Tuesday and it will take
about 6 weeks to receive it.

I just got a phone call from my sister in Europe, that my father has passed away. I
want to attend at the funeral. I have my Canadian and a european passport.

How can I can back to the US? I don't even have the original citizenship certificate,
because I had to submit it with the passport application. I need to leave the US in
about 1 week.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Nyugati

Old Mar 23rd 2002, 8:05 am
Joachim Feise

Default Re: No passport and greencard

nyugati wrote:
    > Hi all, I just became a citizen last week. As you probably know, INS takes away the
    > GC at the ceremony. I just applied for the passport on this Tuesday and it will
    > take about 6 weeks to receive it.
    >
    > I just got a phone call from my sister in Europe, that my father has passed away. I
    > want to attend at the funeral. I have my Canadian and a european passport.
    >
    > How can I can back to the US? I don't even have the original citizenship
    > certificate, because I had to submit it with the passport application. I need to
    > leave the US in about 1 week.

For one, you should have submitted a copy of the certificate. It nowadays is legal to
make a copy of it. Second, you can usually get the passport application expedited. I
don't know if that works after applying for the passport, though. If not, you are out
of luck. You need the US passport to come back.

-Joe

Old Mar 23rd 2002, 1:35 pm
Nyugati

It is clearly stated on the certificate, that it is illegal to make a copy of it. I
thought that that is the official version of the story.

If I leave with my canadian passport and come back with the same, I don't think that
they will be able to do anything about it. Since I am a citizen, they won't boot me
out. It is possible that they will give me some hard time at the port of entry's
immigration office, but since we are talking about my father's funeral, this is a
risk I am willing to take.

"Joachim Feise" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > nyugati wrote:
    > > Hi all, I just became a citizen last week. As you probably know, INS takes away
the
    > > GC at the ceremony. I just applied for the passport on this Tuesday and
it
    > > will take about 6 weeks to receive it.
    > >
    > > I just got a phone call from my sister in Europe, that my father has
passed
    > > away. I want to attend at the funeral. I have my Canadian and a european
    > > passport.
    > >
    > > How can I can back to the US? I don't even have the original citizenship
    > > certificate, because I had to submit it with the passport application. I need to
    > > leave the US in about 1 week.
    >
    > For one, you should have submitted a copy of the certificate. It nowadays
is
    > legal to make a copy of it. Second, you can usually get the passport application
    > expedited. I don't
know
    > if that works after applying for the passport, though. If not, you are out of luck.
    > You need the US passport to come back.
    >
    > -Joe

Old Mar 24th 2002, 5:35 am
Riri

> nyugati wrote:
    > > Hi all, I just became a citizen last week. As you probably know, INS takes away
the
it
    > >
passed
    > > passport.

By US law you are required to use a US passport to exit and enter the US. Do not use
any other passport to leave the US.

> >
    > > certificate, because I had to submit it with the passport application. I need to

I had the same *panic* moment but I paid the extra fees for over 100 $ to have an
expedite process. I received my US passport (and original Naturalization certificate)
in 8 days! Try to contact them http://travel.state.gov/npicinfo.html

>
is
    > legal to make a copy of it.

WRONG! You have to give the US State Department the original document. No copies are
allowed. The thing about the copies are ONLY for INS applications, i.e. filing for a
relative! INS gives a pre-authorization only for internal processes. It was clearly
and repeteadely said at the Oath ceremony.

> Second, you can usually get the passport application expedited. I don't
know
    > if that works after applying for the passport, though. If not, you are out of luck.
    >
    > -Joe

Old Mar 26th 2002, 3:55 am
Shelley

It was my understanding that you can only submit original documents (birth
certificate, citizenship certificate, etc.) with the passport application. The
original document is returned with the passport. Take Care. Shelley

> nyugati wrote:
the
it
    > >
passed
    > > passport.
    > >
    >
is
    > legal to make a copy of it. Second, you can usually get the passport application
    > expedited. I don't
know
    >
    > -Joe

James Donovan

"nyugati" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > It is clearly stated on the certificate, that it is illegal to make a copy of it. I
    > thought that that is the official version of the story.

You can make a copy of it now, INS does allow it for certain things. They've sort of
relaxed the rules.

>
    > If I leave with my canadian passport and come back with the same, I don't think
    > that they will be able to do anything about it.

Humm.... But you're a US citizen. Won't it be a bit odd that you have visitor status
to the US stamped in your Canadian passport?

> Since I am a citizen, they won't boot me out. It is possible that they
will
    > give me some hard time at the port of entry's immigration office, but
since
    > we are talking about my father's funeral, this is a risk I am willing to take.

I wonder why you can't just show your Naturalization certificate at the border. The
idea of needing an actual US passport at the border is ridiculous IMHO.

Joachim Feise

Shelley wrote:
    > It was my understanding that you can only submit original documents (birth
    > certificate, citizenship certificate, etc.) with the passport application. The
    > original document is returned with the passport.

As was clarified in this thread already, it is allowed to copy the certificate, at
least for certain purposes. I have heard conflicting information as to whether it is
possible to submit a copy for the passport application. As always, lawyers are better
suited to provide a reliable answer.

-Joe

Riri

> As was clarified in this thread already, it is allowed to copy the
certificate,
    > at least for certain purposes. I have heard conflicting information as to whether
    > it is possible to
submit
    > a copy for the passport application.

Let's clarify AGAIN. There are 2 different department:
1) The State Department
2) the INS The State department wants ONLY originals like the Naturalization
Certificate) and will refuse any copy of any documents. The State Department
issues the US passports NOT the INS.

ONLY the INS allows you to make copies of Naturalization certificate for INS use and
internal processes like filing for a relative.

Representative from both the departments (INS and State Departments) were present at
my Oath Ceremony. They BOTH stated the use of the original for US State Deparments
processes like the US passport request and the use of copy for the INS. As a matter
of fact the US State Department was present at the ceremony because they were
accepting applications for US passports on the spot ater the Oath and they wanted
only the original Certificate. I came out of the Ceremony with no papers that said I
was American!

More clear than this ......

> As always, lawyers are better suited to provide a reliable answer.
Really?

R