No NOA

Old Mar 20th 2001, 5:06 pm
stefo74

My husband and I were married in NJ in March 2000. Our receipt for forms I485, I130
and I765 was dated April 12, 2001. We moved in September and I, as the sponsor,
received a NOA for my change of address, but Stef hasn't received anything. Our
problem is, and I know after researching for so long it is stupid, we never received
a NOA for the forms I485 and I130. I thought the receipt was sufficient and the
processing times were accurate. The processing time for our forms was 300 days, on or
before Feb. 6, 2001 which has come and gone. My real question is: If our forms are
lost somewhere, will we have to re-apply and re-submit the fees for each form? I have
already written an inquiry and plan to go to Newark one day at 0'dark hundred to
inquire in person. Any experience or advice would be greatly appreciated. Stef has
his EAD and AP using his A#.

Old Mar 20th 2001, 5:29 pm
Andy Platt

It's a miracle you got anything back from the change of address at all - I've never
seen anybody else get anything - I certainly didn't.

Now the "NOA" for the I-130/I-485 isn't anything as formal as that from the service
center. Usually it's just a small "cash register" receipt - sometimes just a letter
and, yes, sometimes nothing.

Newark is currently estimated at 365-425 days so you've got a little wait yet. Where
did the 300 days come from? If that was a letter then that's your NOA and, if so, you
can always write to enquire about the status but, since the estimates have gone up a
bit I would just sit back for a couple of months.

http://www.ins.usdoj.gov/graphics/se...htm#otherlocal

Andy.

--
I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination.

>
    >
I,
    >
    >
    >
was
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Mar 20th 2001, 6:08 pm
RJLiles

Don't know about the I-130 but you do not get anything back for the I-485 except a
cash register receipt and a letter from the INS office you filed with saying that you
filed and the wait times. There is no "official" NOA.

>
    >
I,
    >
    >
    >
was
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Mar 20th 2001, 7:04 pm
Rita

Actually, although it is not unheard of, it is unusual for a local INS office to
issue a Notice of Action. Normally the only "receipt" that you have is the proof of
mail delivery if you sent it via a receiptable type mail. I was about to ask why you
waited a year to file after your marriage and realized that your mailing date is a
typo and should have read "2000" not 2001 since it is only March and April, 2001 has
not yet come and gone.

As for fearing it has been lost, if he received the EAD that he applied for in March
of 2000 then your petition/applications are not NOT lost and are there in Newark. You
have rechecked the timeline again? They change as quickly as a teenage girl changes
clothes in one day. Also they are not obligated to hold to their timeline.

I'm assuming Stefo will be due to renew the EAD and A/P shortly. Just the act of
doing that will and should reassure you when he gets the appointments to pick them up
that you are not lost in space.

Rita

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

----------

Old Mar 20th 2001, 9:59 pm
stefo74

Thank you for reassuring me. When we started the paper work for renewal of his EAD it
mentioned sending I797 showing that form I485 is pending. When I noticed we never
received an I797 I stressed out. One other thing that bothers me is that a friend of
mine received an AOS interview date only a few months after she sent in her paper
work. The date was for a year later, but she still knew when it was. We have almost
identical circumstances. Do most interview dates spring up unexpectedly or do you
know several months in advance? Thanks again for your help- Jen