no H1-B visa -can I get a J-1

Old May 10th 2007, 1:23 am
Just Joined

miamiireland is an unknown quantity at this point
Default no H1-B visa -can I get a J-1

Hey,
Any advice would be really appreciated. I will be brief, I moved to Miami on a H1-B (university so no cap) and I am waiting for my partner to join me. He entered the H1-B lottery this year with a job offer in a structural engineering company yet still has not heard if he got though (don't hold much hope now ).

I was wondering (he has a MSc with less than five year exp) if he could apply for a J-1 and classify his job as training for 2 years. We are both very young (well 26! so he really does not want to take a career break so the H-4 is not an option.

Or if anyone has any other suggestions that would be fantastic ( I don't want move back home again, Ireland)

Thanks for any help given
Old May 10th 2007, 3:20 am
Jozef

Default Re: no H1-B visa -can I get a J-1

"miamiireland" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected] m...
>
> Hey,
> Any advice would be really appreciated. I will be brief, I moved to
> Miami on a H1-B (university so no cap) and I am waiting for my partner
> to join me. He entered the H1-B lottery this year with a job offer in a
> structural engineering company yet still has not heard if he got though
> (don't hold much hope now ).
>
> I was wondering (he has a MSc with less than five year exp) if he could
> apply for a J-1 and classify his job as training for 2 years. We are
> both very young (well 26! so he really does not want to take a career
> break so the H-4 is not an option.

Unfortunately, to obtain a J-1 Exchange Visitor visa, the sponsor must be
accredited through the Exchange Visitor Program designated by the U.S. State
Department. I doubt this structural engineering company is on the list.

> Or if anyone has any other suggestions that would be fantastic ( I don't
> want move back home again, Ireland)

Do I hear wedding bells? :-)
Seriously, there's not that many options if he can't get an H-1B and does
not want to take a career break (for studying for example) I'm afraid...

Jozef

Old May 10th 2007, 3:36 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by miamiireland

Or if anyone has any other suggestions that would be fantastic
unless your 12, to not use random fonts and font colours for a start.

I don't really know the fine points of the J1, but as far as i'm aware, it's basically an exchange type visa, so would probably be hard to get in this situation.

He could always come over on a student visa and study something else?

If not, then have a look at the L1 visa, but with out much experience, that'll be another hard sell.
Old May 10th 2007, 12:41 pm
Just Joined

miamiireland is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bob

Thanks you for your reply

Thanks for your comment but there really is no need to be rude! Making text a bit more interesting was not meant to cause offense just maybe make it look a bit more interesting

I don't really know the fine points of the J1, but as far as i'm aware, it's basically an exchange type visa, so would probably be hard to get in this situation.

He could always come over on a student visa and study something else?

If not, then have a look at the L1 visa, but with out much experience, that'll be another hard sell.
He has three years experience so it may be an aveunue to go down but first has to find a engineering company that is in the UK and in the USA (Florida)

Old May 10th 2007, 1:57 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by miamiireland
He has three years experience so it may be an aveunue to go down but first has to find a engineering company that is in the UK and in the USA (Florida)

I wasn't being rude, you asked for advice, you got some, btw, reported post got sent to me, being a mod, such is life.

The issue with finding a company to transfer him, he'll need to work there for at least a year, he'll probably have to have niche skills or be upper management for them to bother with the cost of transferring him and depending on what type of engineer he is, he might need to be re-qualified.
Old May 10th 2007, 4:02 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
I think it is a personal choice, Bob, and nothing to do with a beginner's first post. The BE site has a choice of color fonts and the OP choose to exercise that option.

Now on to bigger and better things.
Old May 10th 2007, 4:25 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Rete
I think it is a personal choice, Bob, and nothing to do with a beginner's first post. The BE site has a choice of color fonts and the OP choose to exercise that option.

Now on to bigger and better things.
That was personal advice.

It wasn't like I didn't offer pertinent advice to her broader question though was it.
Old May 10th 2007, 5:19 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
That was personal advice.

It wasn't like I didn't offer pertinent advice to her broader question though was it.
That you did. Offered and I hope accepted.
Old May 16th 2007, 3:55 pm
Forum Regular

gdjones has a brilliant futuregdjones has a brilliant futuregdjones has a brilliant futuregdjones has a brilliant futuregdjones has a brilliant futuregdjones has a brilliant futuregdjones has a brilliant futuregdjones has a brilliant future

Im afraid the J-1 visa is not an option, I'm just completing mine now and one of the stipulations is that you have to have been in full time education within a year of applying for it. If your partner has 3 years of exp since uni and is 26 its unlikely he'll be able to apply. But if you find a way around it I used www.usainternship.com and they got me a job fairly quickly - wage sucks though.
Old May 16th 2007, 6:34 pm
Nguhh

On May 10, 9:23 am, miamiireland <[email protected]>
wrote:
> Hey,
> Any advice would be really appreciated. I will be brief, I moved to
> Miami on a H1-B (university so no cap) and I am waiting for my partner
> to join me. He entered the H1-B lottery this year with a job offer in a
> structural engineering company yet still has not heard if he got though
> (don't hold much hope now ).
>
> I was wondering (he has a MSc with less than five year exp) if he could
> apply for a J-1 and classify his job as training for 2 years. We are
> both very young (well 26! so he really does not want to take a career
> break so the H-4 is not an option.
>
> Or if anyone has any other suggestions that would be fantastic ( I don't
> want move back home again, Ireland)
>
> Thanks for any help given
>
> --
> Posted viahttp://britishexpats.com

F1 is still another avenue for him to consider. While on the graduate
program, he can apply for H1 or OPT (if he finishes the program)
though there is a substantial cost involved unless he can receive a
FULL graduate assistantship which is basically free.