Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Next steps for Wife to work in US with L2 status

Next steps for Wife to work in US with L2 status

Old Sep 26th 2007, 1:45 am
Just Joined

onedah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Next steps for Wife to work in US with L2 status

Hi all,

We finally made it to Dallas and you were all right about the weather being hot hot hot... and yes I no we are lucky as it gets hotter.

Any way not really had a chance to take in Dallas, we have been either looking for somewhere to live or shopping for furniture, or trying to find out about driving tests, insurance etc. etc.

My wife has decided that she would like to work and as I am on an L1 visa and she has an L2 I understand she is able to work, however I am not sure what forms we need to complete for her to get the authorisation to work.

Can someone advise what we should be doing to allow her to work, i.e. for to complete.

Thanks

O
Old Sep 26th 2007, 11:48 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Next steps for Wife to work in US with L2 status

A SSN ..form here
http://www.ssa.gov/online/ss-5.html

An EAD ..form here
http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/usc...0048f3d6a1RCRD
Old Sep 26th 2007, 1:30 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by onedah
Hi all,

We finally made it to Dallas and you were all right about the weather being hot hot hot... and yes I no we are lucky as it gets hotter.

Any way not really had a chance to take in Dallas, we have been either looking for somewhere to live or shopping for furniture, or trying to find out about driving tests, insurance etc. etc.

My wife has decided that she would like to work and as I am on an L1 visa and she has an L2 I understand she is able to work, however I am not sure what forms we need to complete for her to get the authorisation to work.

Can someone advise what we should be doing to allow her to work, i.e. for to complete.

Thanks

O
Welcome to Dallas!

Hot?!? This is the mildest of mild late summer weather. This is the weather we all dream of when it's 110deg outside.

Let us know how you get on. If you have any specific Dallas/Richardson/Plano (or North Dallas in general) questions, just ask. There's lots of information I'm sure we can share on where to find good food, fun stuff to do (do you have kids?), nice places to live etc.

Good luck. I remember the first few weeks as a total blur of frantic activity!
Old Sep 26th 2007, 2:42 pm
Just Joined

onedah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ray
Ray,

Is the EAD form the only one that needs to be completed to be able to work? Do you have an idea of the turn around once submitted.

Thanks
O
Old Sep 26th 2007, 3:05 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

i will be submitting that same form when i arrive in mid October. Im told that it can take up to 3 months to process but if i remember correctly - members on here were processed in as little as 4 weeks - so it probably depends on sheer workload of the centre.
Old Sep 26th 2007, 3:19 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Ray,

Is the EAD form the only one that needs to be completed to be able to work? Do you have an idea of the turn around once submitted.

Thanks
O
I would allow 90 days for the EAD. There will be a biometrics (fingerprinting) appointment associated with that as well.

Rene
Old Sep 26th 2007, 6:29 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

The worker must be employment authorized, and able to complete Form I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification

Read the Special Instructions and see the form from the download link.

Applications for an EAD take about 90 days from submission to receipt.