Newborn baby in US--passports?

Old Feb 12th 2019, 8:03 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Newborn baby in US--passports?

One of my nieces lives in NY on green card and has just had her first baby. Both parents are UKC. They want to travel to Europe with the baby in April. Do they need to get a US passport for the kid and if so how long would it take? In the olden days they could just add the child to her mother's UK passport but somehow I doubt that's still on.

Thx.
Old Feb 12th 2019, 8:08 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newborn baby in US--passports?

Yes, the child needs a US Passport. Should take a couple of weeks to obtain. Would be wise to also get its UK Passport, which takes a few weeks as well.

Rene
Old Feb 12th 2019, 8:43 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Yes, the child needs a US Passport. Should take a couple of weeks to obtain. Would be wise to also get its UK Passport, which takes a few weeks as well.

Rene
Thought so. Cheers.
Old Feb 12th 2019, 12:11 pm
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
One of my nieces lives in NY on green card and has just had her first baby. Both parents are UKC. They want to travel to Europe with the baby in April. Do they need to get a US passport for the kid and if so how long would it take? In the olden days they could just add the child to her mother's UK passport but somehow I doubt that's still on.

Thx.
We did it, this, for a baby born in April with a June wedding to get to. The US passport service was actually very painless (though it’s best not to go to a post office - a county court house, some libraries, etc. offer the service). We didn’t even try to get the UK one in time for heading to the UK for the wedding. That one can be closer to a month for a kid, compared to 2 weeks for the USA one.
Old Feb 12th 2019, 2:33 pm
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by Mr Weeze

We did it, this, for a baby born in April with a June wedding to get to. The US passport service was actually very painless (though it’s best not to go to a post office - a county court house, some libraries, etc. offer the service). We didn’t even try to get the UK one in time for heading to the UK for the wedding. That one can be closer to a month for a kid, compared to 2 weeks for the USA one.
Thanks for the tip...it will be passed on to my niece.
Old Feb 12th 2019, 4:13 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

... In the olden days they could just add the child to her mother's UK passport but somehow I doubt that's still on. ...
I think that even in "the olden days" the UK allowing children to be added to a parent's passport was an anomaly compared to other countries, but I believe that possibility was discontinued even in the UK as far back as the mid 1980's.
Old Feb 12th 2019, 4:36 pm
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I think that even in "the olden days" the UK allowing children to be added to a parent's passport was an anomaly compared to other countries, but I believe that possibility was discontinued even in the UK as far back as the mid 1980's.
Yes, that's why I used the quoted term.
Old Feb 12th 2019, 5:52 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Yes, that's why I used the quoted term.
5 October 1998.

Plenty of time to get the child a British passport as well so they can all travel on the same nationality.